Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Capital' BBC1 Drama

Started by Serge, November 09, 2015, 11:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Having seen a couple of trailers for this, I'm very much looking forward to this adaptation of John Lanchester's excellent novel. Toby Jones and Rachael Stirling are in it, which is a good sign, though it may be confusing to see them as a married couple at the same time as they're playing entirely different parts in 'Detectorists' on BBC4. Three parts, which surprised me, as I would have thought six would be more like it, but we'll see. Starts on November 24th.

katzenjammer

Just finished the book and have been trying to find out the air date without success.  You seem to be the only one on the web who knows, Serge, so thanks very much.

holyzombiejesus

I really like Rachael Stirling but it's hard to concentrate on her performances now that I can't help but picture Guy Garvey sweating and grunting and huffing and puffing away on top of her[nb]If I were their neighbour, I would be praying that they pull those curtains shut.[/nb].

Anyway, really looking forward to this. Thought it'd be a six parter too. Really liked the book but luckily remember very little about it. I wonder how they'll do the football scenes. Have there been any trailers yet?

Serge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 12, 2015, 01:50:18 PMI really like Rachael Stirling but it's hard to concentrate on her performances now that I can't help but picture Guy Garvey sweating and grunting and huffing and puffing away on top of her[nb]If I were their neighbour, I would be praying that they pull those curtains shut.[/nb].

WHA-A-A-A-AAAT? First Carey Mulligan and the Head Fucking Mumford and now this? [bangs head against desk repeatedly]

Serge

Yeah, pretty good, that. Toby Jones as excellent as ever, Rachael Stirling possibly not quite nasty enough to match the horrific Arabella of the book. I loved Wunmi Mosaku as Quentina, though unless I'm misremembering, they've zipped through her story quicker than I recall it from the book. Then again, I don't remember 'We Have What You Want' being written on the road, either. Can somebody who's read the book more recently than I have confirm or deny this?! They don't seem to have bothered at all with the
Spoiler alert
footballer
[close]
thread, unless that's going to crop up next week. And so far, no reference to Gemma Jones' grandson
Spoiler alert
being Banksy, basically
[close]

Interesting that they seem to have explicitly made it Clapham (Roger alighting at Clapham Common, for example), whereas in the book, although it's heavily hinted at, it's never stated exactly where it is. I was quite pleased to see Battersea Park in there, too!

neveragain

Very much enjoyed Toby Jones being a twat to his kids. Some characters couldn't keep my interest though, mainly Sick Woman and Religiously Fulfilled Traffic Warden. This isn't the most incisive review I could have given but what do you expect at half four in the fucking morning.... Right, I'm off to the Insomnia thread.

steveh

From the blurbs for the remaining two episodes the footballer does not appear at all. Simplification was to be expected but in the book he illustrates several points and it's shame to lose him.

It did take the book at quite a pace - after watching several dramas this autumn that had been stretched out into too many episodes this was one that I think that could have merited more. Typically excellent BBC adaptation though.

The reception for Roger's office looked like the Time Magazines building in Southwark.

Serge

One aerial shot seemed to be taken from the Wandsworth side of Clapham Junction, with some blocks of flats I went past every day for about eight years! I still can't figure out exactly where they're filming Pepys Road, though.

Between this and 'Detectorists', Toby Jones is my Man Of The Year. Although I am liking it, it's also doing a decent job of showing how shocking my memory is, as there are whole parts of the book that I'd forgotten and suddenly something will crop up and I'll think, "Oh yeah, this is that bit."

Serge

So, am I the only one still watching this? I did enjoy it, though feel that it could have done with possibly at least one more episode to let some of the stories breathe (ideally, it would have retained the footballer storyline and been six episodes long.) I thought Adeel Akhtar and Danny Ashok were particularly good in this episode - Ahmed's face in the scene where he and his wife were not-quite-arguing in bed captured his feelings more than any dialogue could have. I had a horrible feeling that they were going to change the ending of Quentina's story - and I'm glad they didn't - but that was one storyline that would have benefited from extra time given to it. Over all, pretty good.

steveh

It was perfectly fine but in just three episodes there was a huge loss in depth to the characters and some of the plot points were rather glossed over - I can't remember it properly going into why the postcard campaign was really started in the first place but I might have been distracted by an email.

neveragain

Lovely bit of drama I thought. Toby Jones' character in particular. Brilliant perfs all round.

Climax-wise, am I right in thinking
Spoiler alert
most people had a p
[close]
Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
art in the campaign? Certainly the tosser artist, his lackey and one of the brothers were involved... Unless the artist was just taking credit for it?
[close]
[close]

Serge

Smitty wasn't involved in the campaign, he just used it as inspiration for his shitty painting. The brother started it, and the assistant took it over. I seem to remember the assistant having a bigger part in it in the book, and his comeuppance was more satisfying.

neveragain

gib

I watched this today and i really liked it.