Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music to learn the Arts by...

Started by Abbie, February 15, 2004, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbie

I'm after some recommendations to help me with my studies - I can't function in silence and like to listen to music whilst i'm learning.  Current favourites and past recommendations from fellow whores are albums by Red Snapper and Boards of Canada.  So, i'm after some more music, the less voices in it the better as speech/singing distracts my fragile little mind.

I'm listening to Orbital Insides at the moment and its all good.  What other albums should I *purchase*?

:)

Benny J. Fish

David Byrne-Lead us not Into Temptation
Orb- UFOrb
Nightmares on Wax- Carbootsoul

Lt Plonker

Not sure if you're much of a gamer Abbie, but you could pop over to Lucasarts Soundtracks for some fun instrumental stuff. Check out music for The Dig because it's all lovely, ghostly and sci-fi-y. Ooooh. And the Monkey Island II Medley. Very haunting too.

Probably best to avoid music suggestions from me anyway. I got laughed off the internet last time.

Jet Set Willy

I would reccomend Mum - Finally we are no-one

It has some singing on (quite subtle) but I honestly feel that it's exactly what you're looking for.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteI'm listening to Orbital Insides at the moment and its all good. What other albums should I *purchase*?

Ho ho!

In that case, get 'Work' by Orbital. Unfailingly good, if short.

You should also definately get Orbilivion by The Orb.

It's all Orby.

sproggy

I'm listening to this Kraftwerk at the moment, nice gentle background music to stimulate the synapses.

mr rou-rou

what arts are these? the black arts?

are you doing a course in something?

Abbie

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"what arts are these? the black arts?

are you doing a course in something?

You may remember some time ago I was waffling about studying with the OU after my failed attempt at getting into a "normal" Uni.  Well, i've finally bit the bullet and signed up to do a History degree (all paid for by my work, despite my job being in IT - great isn't the word).  I'm starting with "An Introduction to the Humanities" - namely Art History, Music, Religion, the 60's, the Beatles etc etc    Blummin interesting it all is too and I highly recommend it.   I'm not sure what the end result will be yet, I was going for a History Degree but I have found Art History fascinating so I might change my mind yet.

Anyway, recommend me some music buggerlugs.

blue jammer

Don't bother with 'Work' by Orbital, it's edited versions. *GUFF*

Get their early 'Brown' album and 'Green' album (superb)

Next, you might want to try some of these: (all albums)

Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place
Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By
Hint - Portakabin Fever
Circulation - Colours Two
Colder - Again
Postal Service - Give Up
John Tejada - Daydreams in Cold Weather
Backini - Threads
Bluetech - Prima Materia
Cari Lekebusch - The Architect

See how you go with that lot, I reckon you'll like, or even LOVE at least half of that :)

Gazeuse

Try Vaughan Williams' 5th Symphony...Bootiful.

mwude

Quote from: "Benny J. Fish"Orb- UFOrb

Abso - fucking - lutely.  

Also Departure Lounge - Jetlag dreams (melancholy piano stuff)
Presence - All systems gone (soulful deep house)
The KLF - Chill out (like a train journey through a lonely night)
Susumu Yokota - Sakura (very minimalist & beautiful)
Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K & D sessions (double cd of chilled dubby remixes) or anything by their offshoot bands Tosca or Peace Orchestra, although some of that stuff does get a little dull
Air - Premiers Symptomes (the first & the best)
Nightmares on Wax - Smokers delight (not as good as Carboot soul, but better than the last load of toss they released)
Red Snapper - Making bones (cos you've already mentioned them & I think this is the best album)
Pole - 3 (personally I think this is a load of old toss, just hisses & clicks and mangled quiet industrial noise, but some people rave about it)
Add N to X - Barry 7's contraption (one track rather than an album, but a corker)
ditto Sabres of paradise - smokebelch beatless mix (think it was used on an advert at some point.  I could quite happily listen to this on a loop all day long)

and I think Fila Brazillia have just released a beatless mix album but I haven't heard it & can't remember it's name.  'b & a' or 'v & a' or 'b & v' or something.

Rats

The twin peaks - fire walk with me soundtrack is lovely to have on in the background
http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/audrey's%20dance.mp3

Rubbish Monkey

I just got a listen and enjoyed  this

on soulseek it seems to have more results if searched under Krafwerk and Portishead rather than Kraftwelt.

I found it while looking for The fake Portishead albums :  Pearl (which is really Empathy by Mandalay) and Alien, which is also the same band I think.

23 Daves

Quote from: "mwude"The KLF - Chill out (like a train journey through a lonely night)

Yep, I passed my GCSEs on "Chill Out", and I can assure you it makes revision and study a relatively painless experience.

The Art of Noise "Who's Afraid Of...?" was also something of a favourite, though I remember finding the more sinister aspects of it slightly distracting.  And also, the problem with that album is you can't resist leaping up from your paperwork to groove around the bedroom to a bunch of sampled voices going "ba ba doop bo bo ba ba doop bo bo ba ba doop bo bo bowmp a woah bomp bowmp a woah boooooo" on "Beatbox".

Abbie

Ah bless.  As usual I can rely on you lot for some good recomendations.  This should keep me nice and busy.  And cheers Rats, i've downloaded that song and did enjoy :)

Tokyo Sexwhale

You can't go wrong with anything by Mogwai.  "Come on Die Young", "Happy Songs for Happy People" or "Kicking a Dead Pig" may appeal.

Alternatively, how about some Bach or Debussey?