Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Aphex Twin - Girl/Boy EP

Started by Suttonpubcrawl, October 13, 2004, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suttonpubcrawl

I was ripping this to mp3 the other day and it shattered in my CD drive! Rather unexpected I can tell you, and it made a sound like a small bomb going off. It was a nightmare to clean up too, the pieces were tiny.

Anyway, I bought a replacement but before I do anything with it I want to know if this is just an isolated incident or if there's a flaw with the manufacture of those CDs. Has anyone else here successfully ripped mp3s from it? And has anyone else had an exploding CD experience at all?

boki

You could always buy it in mp3 form here.  To answer your question, dunno.  I had it on vinyl and then I got them empee3z.  Not a particularly good release that one IMHO.  The title track's good, but that's already available elsewhere and the rest dunt do much f'meh.

mine rips ok.

They made a lot of them so it was probably just a flawed cd.

Fuckwittio

That's a tragedy!

I reckon this EP, along with Richard D James Album is his masterpiece. In fact, I was just listening to the final (typically completely unrecognisable) remix of Girl/Boy this morning. Such a cheerful, bouncy little number to start the day with.

Me and my mates in Dublin used to have a long running argument about the lyrics from 'Beetles'. I wonder can anyone help? Complete this line "they come out..."

Is it:
A: "In the heat"?
B: "And they eat"?
C: "At ni-ight"?

That last choice is fucking idiotic, but my friend Bernard is convinced that's what he's singing. Pointless question, but any help in shoving the truth in these fuckers' faces would be appreciated.

Dr David V

Wow, a CD shattering in the drive? Bloody hell. Maybe it couldn't handle the glitched-up beats.

I know, that was very unhelpful.

dan p

My copy in vinyl.

Never heard of any cd exploding like that. Very odd.

Key

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"That's a tragedy!

I reckon this EP, along with Richard D James Album is his masterpiece. In fact, I was just listening to the final (typically completely unrecognisable) remix of Girl/Boy this morning. Such a cheerful, bouncy little number to start the day with.

Me and my mates in Dublin used to have a long running argument about the lyrics from 'Beetles'. I wonder can anyone help? Complete this line "they come out..."

Is it:

That last choice is fucking idiotic, but my friend Bernard is convinced that's what he's singing. Pointless question, but any help in shoving the truth in these fuckers' faces would be appreciated.

This is a surprisingly notorious bone of contention for Aphex fans:

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=8555&hl=

I'm from the heat school of thought.

Suttonpubcrawl

Jesus Christ, how anyone can get "night" from that is beyond me. There's no "ight" sound in it! It's clearly "heat".

imitationleather

It's been a while since listened to this EP (as brilliant as it is) but I remember thinking it was definitely "ni-ight".

monkhouse terror

You fool! It is obviously 'in the heat'. Why would beetles come out of his bloody carpet at night? I suppose you think that 'milkman' goes 'I would like some milk from the milkman's wife's cow milking business'?

imitationleather

Oh, I dunno. Maybe he'd taken some BADs* or something.

*Beetle Apparition Drugs. This is good, isn't it? It's like I'm Silver Surferghost or something.

Fuckwittio

Jesus, I thought it was only me and my mates who gave a fuck. We really did have some pointlessly vicious fights about this, so it's kinda amusing to think of legions of Aphex fans screaming at each other:

"It's plainly 'in the heat', moron."
"What the fuck is that? 'In the heat'? They come out and they fucking eat, that's what insects do!"
"You're both crazy. I distinctly hear him say 'at nii-ight', it's obvious."
(In unison) "OH, FUCK OFF!"

I reckon it's 'in the heat' by the way. Flame away, fuckers.

Morrisfan82

It is 'in the heat'. Tell your mates to get decent hi-fis.

Mr Colossal

I've never thought it could be anything other than ' in the heat' . It sounds exactly like 'heat' for starters, and it rhymes with 'feet'.

That forum is a joke...

'British people dont pronounce their N's, or they pronounce their 'N's' as 'H' ?'

'Maybe its just richard fucking with us, so until he says so its 'Night' '

what the fuck?

Why get so fucking het up about one word, in a short song?. Its people like that who write the really indepth reviews for magazines that give the general impression that most of these monkeys are some sort of musical genious in the first place... Not that richard isn't of course.

Fuckwittio

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"
Why get so fucking het up about one word, in a short song?

Nothing else to do on a Saturday night. You gotta fight about something.

mrlizard

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"That's a tragedy!

Is it:

That last choice isn't fucking idiotic, it's correct, he is singing "they come out at night" in reference to them being "under his carpet" and "under his feet".

Beetles and cockroaches don't like bright lights, I once lived in a house with a cockroach problem and you would never see them in the day but they would certainly "come out at night". So your friend Bernard is correct.

imitationleather

Quote from: "mrlizard"That last choice isn't fucking idiotic, it's correct, he is singing "they come out at night" in reference to them being "under his carpet" and "under his feet".

Beetles and cockroaches don't like bright lights, I once lived in a house with a cockroach problem and you would never see them in the day but they would certainly "come out at night". So your friend Bernard is correct.

Amen! See? I was right all along!

Really, it is 'in the heat'. That is obvious to anyone that has functioning ears! To anyone who thinks its "at night" I say this: actually listen to song again.

Fuckwittio

God, Aphex is such a mean cunt. Look, he's got us all fighting amongst ourselves. I bet you all he deliberately slurred that line just to cause divisions amongst us. He just sits in his bedroom studio, with his balls hanging out, smoking a cigar & laughing, while his fans come out and fi-ight.

Hey, maybe that's what he's saying.