Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MST3K - Coming back via Kickstarter

Started by dr_christian_troy, November 10, 2015, 08:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

YEEEEESSSSSS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/

It's only been up a couple of hours and is already nearing a quarter of the proceeds. Obviously I hope the Crow and Tom voices in the promo aren't the ones they'll be using, and that most or all of the crew will return, but either way, I am excited. I suspect there will be a new host and new mad(s), and if that's the case I hope they look towards the Los Angeles circuit, and/or someone from the Earwolf/CBB world.

UPDATE: Mike Nelson has confirmed via Twitter that he's not involved with the reboot. After initial excitement, I am growing slightly concerned regarding the return (or lack thereof) of everyone else.

QuoteI suspect there will be a new host and new mad(s), and if that's the case I hope they look towards the Los Angeles circuit, and/or someone from the Earwolf/CBB world.

I don't really care who is in front of the camera[nb]Although I'd love to see Trace as Dr. Forrester again[/nb] as much as who is behind it and writing. I think the most important thing for them to keep intact is the unique overall feel and humour[nb]ie keep the nerdy and obscure references[/nb] from the original run. If they do that, I'm sure I'll be happy.

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on November 10, 2015, 08:32:17 PM
UPDATE: Mike Nelson has confirmed via Twitter that he's not involved with the reboot. After initial excitement, I am growing slightly concerned regarding the return (or lack thereof) of everyone else.

I wish the split between early era and late era MST3K was resolved, or at the VERY LEAST documented in gruesome detail in some kind of biography. I get the impression there's some bad blood there, and I'm not just talking about Hodgson and Mallon.

great_badir

< - Naturally I'm in.

What with Rifftrax being a far more successful enterprise[NB]not to mention it breaking out of solely shit film shackles[/NB] than Cinematic Titanic, it's unlikely that Kevin Murphy, Mike Nelson or Bill Corbett will return.  A possibility that Trace and/or Frank Conniff and/or Mary Jo Pehl might return as they are still working with Joel, but I suspect that this will be a fresh new reboot with all new "talent".

I do wonder if it might be a bit late, though.  With Rifftrax releasing stuff regularly and allowing community contributions, as well as several other semi-pro alternatives on offer, there's also these guys - http://www.icwxp.com/ - who are quite a big part of the reason for renewed interest in MST, and basically an MST for the current generation.  There's a LOT of stuff that has been established in MST's absence, so bringing it back as was might be a bit like the Beeb's repeated attempts to bring back Top of the Pops.

I will watch with interest, and in the meantime wish Joel all the best.

Rev

Ugh, no, this is arse-backwards.  The puppets and setting were only ever a quickly hashed-out format for a bunch of funny writers and performers to do their stuff, they were never the actual point.  A revival has to involve getting the old gang back together, not putting together a cast to fit a concept.  I mean if Joel were hosting there might be a tiny bit of optimism, but it seems he's purely a producer and quite possibly a very hands-off one after it's launched, so there's not even that bit of continuity.

Spiral King

I'm just glad Joel paid off Jim Mallon. I don't care how "involved" he was during the tenure of the show, he's had his chance to bring it back and what we got are those god-awful animated shorts. I'm excited about this, even sans Mike and the Rifftrax crew. Especially if they get in lots of fresh new talent - I'm really optimistic about that side of things.

Bhazor

Well for me no Mike makes it a no sell. Even before he took over jump suit duty he was the lead writer and I for one definitely saw a big improvement from season 2 to season 3 when he came on board the writing team. I was also never a fan of TVs Frank. Just a tiresome "oh ho we're so ironic" delivery to every line which he still did in the Cinematic Titanic commentaries. That said I thought Trace was fantastic as Dr Forester/Crow-prime and its a shame he's not got more voice work since the show ended. I don't think he's even done a guest stint on Rifftrax.

I also have serious concerns about the format. It feels like they'll be blowing a hefty portion of the goal just securing the movie rights, which is exactly what killed the show in the first place. It feels like he's trying to recreate the show rather than adapt it to modern audiences.

hedgehog90

I've tried getting into MST3K, but after watching a few with nothing more than a titter, I decided it just wasn't for me.
That was a couple years ago though, maybe I've changed. What's a good one I can maybe get my head into?

Mr Banlon

Spiral King

Time Chasers
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Hobgoblins
Pumaman
Boggy Creek II
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
Jack Frost
Space Mutiny

I tend to find that the best MST3Ks are usually a double header of excellent riffs and a bat shit insane movie. The only exception to the latter on my list is "Time Chasers", which was my first MST3K, so I'm biased towards it.

hedgehog90

Famous Mortimer

I've already thrown my $200 in.

I'm really not sure why Joel is only going to produce, and they're going to hire new people. Given that this is going to be aimed at existing fans, it seems like keeping the old crew around would be sensible.

Also, if you go back to the initial Cinematic Titanic press releases, the plan was to do one a month, and they only got it together to produce 12 shows or so in six years? I can't help but feel the lack of that regular schedule in the beginning was the thing that hurt it, because the shows were fantastic.

dr_christian_troy

Some interesting highlights from Joel's reddit AMA yesterday:

Fans will meet the next host and Mad soon.

I've already talked with the actors I'd like to bring onto the show as the next host and the next Mad, and you'll meet both of them in the next few days. In fact, the next host is in the video you've already seen... but I'll give him a proper introduction. I'll introduce you to the next Crow and Servo, too. We actually shot a few videos for the Kickstarter with all of them, since there was so much we wanted to talk about. Those will be out soon, and I can't wait, because I'm really happy about all of them. I think they'll do great.

This will not be a reunion show.

I want to be really careful what I say here, because I know this is important to everyone. But first, this Kickstarter is really about making NEW episodes of MST3K, not making more of the old episodes, even though I love them as much as everyone else.

...Mike's not hosting it, and I'm not either. I think it's important for the show to move on to it's next host, just like it always would have if it weren't canceled. That was always the idea for the show – it just wasn't clear because two doesn't make a pattern, and we got canceled before we ever had a third host.

I've invited everyone from the original cast to come back and participate creatively — to write, and hopefully to do cameos as their Mad Scientist characters. I don't know yet who will and won't decide to come back. I think we'll know more after we see how this Kickstarter campaign goes. But this isn't a reunion show either. To keep the show fresh, I really believe it's important to keep bringing in new talent and keep looking forward.

So mixed news, really. The new host - assuming he wasn't being cryptic and the voice in the video is actually the new host - doesn't sound familiar, and presumably isn't well-known. The only thing I can gather is that he has glasses. Any guesses?

It's slightly reassuring that Joel has invited the original folks to be involved in the writing - and cameo - so I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

madhair60

I don't like MST3K.

That's why I don't have any friends.

Skip Bittman

People are saying Jonah Ray. Blegh.

Woke up elated, then incredibly dissapointed that Shout Factory owns the whole thing and it's an LA reboot with none of the original cast involved except Joel who wants to take a backseat role. MST3K isn't just a format, it's the chemistry of those people together writing and riffing. I'll back because Joel is pretty fantastic and I've been waiting 15 years for this, but how incredibly disappointing not to involve Trace and Frank at the very least.

Bhazor

Quote from: Spiral King on November 11, 2015, 01:13:34 AM
Time Chasers
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Hobgoblins
Pumaman
Boggy Creek II
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
Jack Frost
Space Mutiny

I tend to find that the best MST3Ks are usually a double header of excellent riffs and a bat shit insane movie. The only exception to the latter on my list is "Time Chasers", which was my first MST3K, so I'm biased towards it.

My favourite was always The Girl in Gold Boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFiB3e3_J4

Bad Ambassador

great_badir

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 11, 2015, 11:58:32 AM
MANOS

It does have one of my all-time favourite riffs ("every scene of this movie looks like the last photo ever taken of someone"), but otherwise I think it's a bit of an over-rated episode.  There are far better and more consistent episodes before and after.

Alberon

MST3K is gone. It was bloody good fun, but its gone. And since its the type of programme where the cast/crew really were the show this isn't really going to be MST3K and I think its a mistake to try. The name might generate enough funding, but it'll probably end up killing it dead at the same time.

However, this extended goal does make me want to donate.

QuoteFinally, if we raise $1 BILLION – stay with me on this one – we're going to adopt a real live teenage boy and "Truman Show" him into believing he is the Pumaman!

Pumaman is a good MST3K episode, even if they do make fun of Donald Pleasence for saying Puma properly when all the others say Pooma.

Some personal picks of the lesser known eps from each season here (starting with 2):

King Dinosaur
Daddy O
Teenagers From Outer Space
12 To The Moon
San Francisco International
Night of the Blood Beast
Prince of Space
Werewolf
Future War

Alberon

Oh god, Future War!

I saw this a few months back for the first time and it's great. Some jaw dropping special effects there and I can recommend it, despite being neither set in the future or about a war.

dr_christian_troy

Now past the halfway point with over $1000,000 raised.

MITCHELL

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: great_badir on November 11, 2015, 12:27:43 PM
It does have one of my all-time favourite riffs ("every scene of this movie looks like the last photo ever taken of someone"), but otherwise I think it's a bit of an over-rated episode.  There are far better and more consistent episodes before and after.
While you're obviously a fine CaBber, you are wrong, both about the riff ("Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last known photograph") and your opinion, because "Manos" is the best. Although I do love "Sidehackers", "Monster A Go Go", "San Fransisco International" and the Coleman Francis movies too, almost as much. Actually, "Red Zone Cuba" might be my favourite. Or "Pod People". Or "Space Mutiny".

Quote from: Skip Bittman on November 11, 2015, 10:55:55 AM
People are saying Jonah Ray. Blegh.

Woke up elated, then incredibly dissapointed that Shout Factory owns the whole thing and it's an LA reboot with none of the original cast involved except Joel who wants to take a backseat role. MST3K isn't just a format, it's the chemistry of those people together writing and riffing. I'll back because Joel is pretty fantastic and I've been waiting 15 years for this, but how incredibly disappointing not to involve Trace and Frank at the very least.
Blegh indeed. Although I'll admit my hatred of the entire Nerdist troupe is slightly irrational, they seriously couldn't find anyone better than that? Couldn't negotiate with some celebrity superfan like Joel McHale?

Skip, as you know people, presumably some of this $2 mill will be for paying off Jim Mallon? I really don't see how a show which started off with a homemade set and never got much fancier will need all that money to make three episodes. Also, given the huge number of cable channels out there, none of them would rather take a chance on bringing back MST3K than some reruns?

Famous Mortimer

Sorry, great_badir, I was aiming for light fun with that post but I sound like a dick.

Attila

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 11, 2015, 03:16:28 PM
Some personal picks of the lesser known eps from each season here (starting with 2):

King Dinosaur
Daddy O
Teenagers From Outer Space
12 To The Moon
San Francisco International
Night of the Blood Beast
Prince of Space
Werewolf
Future War

So many good ones, but I have to point out that, in January, I will be flying into San Francisco International. My immediate life goal is to tell a middle aged businessman that the answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.

Paaaaul

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on November 11, 2015, 05:03:09 PM

MITCHELL
He's after considerably more than that.
$5.5m for the whole series,$2m is just for 3 episodes.

tubularnametag

Been looking through this, and Best Brains Inc. no longer exists under that name. A firm exists called Consolidated Puppets Inc (CEO one James Mallon), but it sounds like the actual rights to MST3K are in the hands of Shout! Factory. I reckon they want some of that investment back before they even begin to film new stuff, and given the funds breakdown, that seems to be happening. Still reckon its ass backwards to bring back the puppets and format without the writing and performing staff.

Spiral King

Something great that I discovered last night is that the official MST3K YouTube channel has a dozen or so FULL episode uploads WITH special annotations explaining the cultural references in each riff.

From the suggestions in this thread: Pumaman, Werewolf, Mitchell, and Manos. You should also watch Laserblast, which is the funniest Comedy Central episode IMO.[nb]i bet none of these work in the uk sorry in advance if this is the case[/nb]

We've come a long way from where we were in 2002... sending blank tapes off to a dubber across the country, who put four episodes on four VHS tapes for Too Much Money.

Phil_A

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on November 11, 2015, 05:03:09 PM

MITCHELL

Excellent Mitchell trivia: It was written by the brother of the bloke that wrote Edge Of Darkness, which is kind-of the polar opposite quality wise in terms of things that feature Joe Don Baker.

Skip Bittman

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2015, 05:18:38 PM

Skip, as you know people, presumably some of this $2 mill will be for paying off Jim Mallon? I really don't see how a show which started off with a homemade set and never got much fancier will need all that money to make three episodes. Also, given the huge number of cable channels out there, none of them would rather take a chance on bringing back MST3K than some reruns?

I've been asking around and tubularnametag has it about right.

A huge part of that Kickstarter total will go towards fulfilling all the pledge rewards, unfortunately. It's more a ploy to attract a good streaming or cable deal to make a few seasons. I'm sure they'll manage but it sure feels wrong not having the MN veterans involved in the writing room. Sure, get a cute female Mad and a stubbly Nerdist host if that's what Shout Factory wants to revitalize the brand and blah blah blah.  But it's not like the former Brains' senses of humor are old and antiquated! I'm really surprised Joel Hodgson would leave his former collaborators out in the cold knowing how incredibly hard Mallon fucked them on the deal: nobody got any sort of royalties/residuals out of MST3K other than Mallon/Hodgson. He owes them bigtime. They ARE the show. Many others have tried riffing, one look at those efforts are enough to show you how important their chemistry was to make it as funny as it was. Unless of course he doesn't have much of a direct hand in the project... I'm curious to hear who the production staff are, he avoided those questions on the AMA.

I wish the split between early era and late era MST3K was resolved, or at the VERY LEAST documented in gruesome detail in some kind of biography. I get the impression there's some bad blood there, and I'm not just talking about Hodgson and Mallon.

Yes. Much bad blood, much bitterness hidden with humor and then just dissolving back into bitterness. They are just incredibly polite and too Minnesotan to attack each other THAT much. I've done some interviews but it kind of takes YEARS for some of the ice to thaw and such a project would take a few more years to be thorough enough. I'm sure it'll happen one day, a lot of us definitely were supremely warped by this show during our impressionable years enough to pull it off.

I bet if they added another million dollar tier to film it all in MN using the original crew they'd make that stretch goal no problem. Frank Conniff's writing contributions and obscure showbiz/film jokes alone are worth his weight in your currency of choice. Plus he'd be just fine as TV's Frank cameo or two. As Lou Reed put it, "If you dress older when you are not, as your really age you look the same"