Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Revenant - Iñàrritu goes West

Started by Blinder Data, November 12, 2015, 11:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Saw a trailer for this before SPECTRE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoebZZ8K5N0

All I can say that is that it looks incredible. Looking forward to long tracking shots through grisly battles between injuns and frontiersmen. It's got Tom Hardy and Leo DiCaprio in it which put me off a bit, but this period of history is fascinating and they seem to have nailed the costumes, sets, etc. so I imagine there'll be plenty to admire (if you dug his previous films, especially Birdman).

That bit with the
Spoiler alert
bear
[close]
! :S

Can't wait to watch this on a massive screen.

Sam

Trailer for this in the cinema was epic, spine-tingling stuff. It looks great but then Lubezki is the best DP in the world. Big New World vibes but with flowers exchanged for grit. It will absolutely be worth watching for the photography alone.

Has a lot of ingredients that are right up my street, but may be less than the sum of its parts.

Noodle Lizard

I wouldn't be too excited for it if I didn't know it was Inarritu, to be honest.  It's one of those "real-life badass" stories that doesn't seem at all like it would be in Inarritu's wheelhouse - seems more suited for someone like John Hillcoat or Park Chan-wook.  Also I'm sick to death of Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar-baiting "angry face", and as much as I like Tom Hardy's acting, he doesn't always turn up in the best films.  Brett Ratner's EP credit makes me all the more uncertain.  So I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but I'll definitely be seeing it the moment it's out.

Noodle Lizard

Oo's a lucky boy then?  Gonna see this tonight, followed by a Q&A with the Iñàrritu and "some of the cast members".  Holding out hope for Will Poulter.

I'll let you all know what I think of it, which'll no doubt inform your decision whether or not to see it when the time comes.

Noodle Lizard

Well, that was really good, exceeded my expectations.  Predictably it looks wonderful, it's extremely well-directed, mostly well-acted (especially Tom Hardy, who outshines everyone else) and generally about as good as this kind of film can be.  I don't think the script is particularly good, and there are some plot points and moments which are very "movieish", but in the hands of Iñàrritu you still get a pretty great film.  I'll discuss it in more detail once more people have seen it, but I'd definitely recommend seeing it in a cinema.

There was a Q&A afterwards with Iñàrritu, DiCaprio and (most importantly) Will Poulter.  It took DiCaprio about two minutes before he started lecturing us on climate change and didn't talk about much else, but Iñàrritu was excellent - I especially liked that he refused to explain how they accomplished the bear attack scene saying "Hopefully you'll never actually see a bear attacking a man, so we wanted to make it as realistic as possible.  If I told you how it was done, it'd be like a magician explaining his trick."  That scene is mighty impressive, though, as are all of the combat sequences.

tl;dr - it's good.

Sam

Great stuff. I did nearly orgasm at the photography/landscape alone in the trailer so if that's tied to a good film overall I'll have balls like rice grains by the end.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sam on November 24, 2015, 06:43:22 PM
Great stuff. I did nearly orgasm at the photography/landscape alone in the trailer so if that's tied to a good film overall I'll have balls like rice grains by the end.

If you can keep your expectations of the script/story fairly reasonable, then there's pretty much nothing to dislike[nb]thought Domhnall Gleeson's acting was a bit ropey, despite liking him a lot in Ex Machina - but he's not in it all that much[/nb].  That aspect isn't bad by any means, just nothing revelatory or profound in any way.  It's everything else that sets this apart from others of its ilk.  Kind of the same way I feel about Mad Max: Fury Road (not that the two are very similar).

Glebe

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wait-Why-Did-Few-People-Walk-Out-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Movie-Revenant-96187.html

Hmm. Not sure what to make of that reaction. Still keen to see it, the trailers (and posters) are beautiful... apparently it was a pretty rough shoot, out in the wild and all.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on November 25, 2015, 08:35:30 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wait-Why-Did-Few-People-Walk-Out-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Movie-Revenant-96187.html

Hmm. Not sure what to make of that reaction. Still keen to see it, the trailers (and posters) are beautiful... apparently it was a pretty rough shoot, out in the wild and all.

I didn't notice anyone doing a walk-out during the gory moments in my screening.  It's got its fair share of them, but not significantly worse than many other films given a wide release.  Aside from one
Spoiler alert
quick, non-graphic rape scene
[close]
, I'd be surprised if it didn't get a 15.

Other than that, I think the reactions have generally been positive.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 24, 2015, 06:27:58 AM
Tom Hardy, who outshines everyone else.

I'd go for Tom alone *blush*.

Even in the trailer his intensity is intense!

great_badir

I have not seen it yet, but it does look amazing.  I just wanted to say that when I saw Narnia, Son of Rambow and that awful kids-trying-to-be-adults sketch show he did, I would have quite happily girly slapped Poulter across the face and told him to go away.  And then I saw Wild Bill.  He's very quickly turning into a very capable and versatile actor.

I HAS SWALLOWED MY THOUGHTS AND WORDS, WILL POULTER.  You and Daniel Radcliffe now have a life pass.

Thanks,
Much Love
great_badir

Glebe

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on November 26, 2015, 01:18:14 PMI'd go for Tom alone *blush*.

Even in the trailer his intensity is intense!

Doing a yank accent for a change!

Sam

Is there any point in Christian Bale now we have Tom Hardy?

Noodle Lizard

Alright, look.  As impressive as that scene is ... my friend and I were sniggering at a couple of points.  It does look a lot like an interspecies Irréversible at times.  You'll see.  Call us immature if you want, but if the image of Leonardo DiCaprio seemingly getting bummed by a grizzly doesn't put a smile on your face then I don't know what to do with you.

BritishHobo

How was Poulter? In the Q&A and film, in that order please, thank you Noodle Lizard, cheers.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 02, 2015, 06:14:46 PM
How was Poulter? In the Q&A and film, in that order please, thank you Noodle Lizard, cheers.

The Great Will Poulter, I think you mean.

He was fine - seemed more confused to be being interviewed alongside DiCaprio and Al than anything else.  Talked about how cold it was.  Pretty much what you'd expect.

I had absolutely no idea he was British, I think the only thing I'd seen him in prior to this was We're The Millers, and he's not British in that.  I wanted to ask him if he felt like working on this film was something of a step down after that, but unfortunately it wasn't one of those free-for-all Q&A type deals.  Just sit and let DiCaprio teach you about climate change before storming off to save the world.

Anyway, I managed to get a picture where somehow nobody's face is visible.

BritishHobo

Actually only realised he was in this because I was talking about We're The Millers earlier. My interest has shotten up a one hundred per cent. Oscar for Poulter, ta.

Glebe

The Revenant Just Got An Over-The-Top Rave From Sean Penn.

QuoteI watched The Revenant with Alejandro and four others. I had the great benefit of being able to see it before anything was in the ether, in terms of critics or other trendsetters. I thought it was a masterpiece. I don't think I've had an experience in a movie theater as a kind of stepping cinema forward like that since I saw Apocalypse Now.

Crikey.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on December 18, 2015, 11:55:25 PM
The Revenant Just Got An Over-The-Top Rave From Sean Penn.

Crikey.

I wouldn't say it "steps cinema forward", really.  There's a stronger case to be made for Birdman doing that, I reckon.  But aye, it's good.

Junglist

This is now 'available' btw. God bless Oscar season.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Junglist on December 19, 2015, 05:31:36 PM
This is now 'available' btw. God bless Oscar season.

I know money might be tight and all that but surely this is a film you save to watch on a big screen.

Not judging you or anything like. Honestly mate, see this film how you want, see if I care.

Junglist

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 19, 2015, 07:41:23 PM
I know money might be tight and all that but surely this is a film you save to watch on a big screen.

Not judging you or anything like. Honestly mate, see this film how you want, see if I care.

I haven't been to the cinema in about four years, disability (and fuck all in benefits) makes it awkward.

Junglist

Although having now seen it, the cinema will be getting a visit. A stunning slice of film.

Noodle Lizard

Those last two posts will make an inspirational viral sensation.

Junglist

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 19, 2015, 09:33:58 PM
Those last two posts will make an inspirational viral sensation.

I'll drag meself on my crutches, some things just have to be!

Noodle Lizard

Did you not think
Spoiler alert
the ending, with Tom Hardy suddenly becoming pure evil, the Deus Ex India, the silliness of the action movie dialogue: "No, I won't kill you for I am not God, I'll just throw you over to these folk who are definitely going to scalp you (for some reason), my conscience is clear" was a real bummer?  Especially since the true story's ending would have been a lot more nihilistic and bleak - with Glass being forced to spare Fitzgerald's life because he'd joined the army.
[close]
It's the same problem I had with Birdman
Spoiler alert
the last five minutes or so are a misstep which detract from the overall film
[close]

Still, yeah it's really good.  Cinema obvs when it's out, pay for it.  This is one of the good ones, and it's up against stiff box office competition with Star Wars and The Hateful Eight, and has a significantly larger budget to recoup than the latter.

Garam

God damn, this was the freakin' bees knees. Probably my favourite ever Tom Hardy performance too. Classic villain. Besides the visuals and the revisionist outlook, the film kind of had the vibe of a 50s hollywood epic actually. I said i'd take a year break from the cinema for money reasons, but may have to make an exception for this.

People are going to be begging for Inarritu to get the Blood Meridian rights.

Should really be titled 'Jammy Bastard' though.

Oh and yes - would make for a perfect double feature with The New World.

Sam

Typically articulate and thoughtful interview with Chivo on shooting the film:

http://youtu.be/Im8MaR6R0u8

Steven

Only just got round to watching all of this, seen the first half three times due to showing to a few diff people then fucking off to watch something else. Tried to get through The Hateful Eight after this but kept getting distracted, a real snoozefest in comparison.

Amazing, the most visceral, putting-you-in-the-scene cinematography I've seen for a long time, the bear scene was a bit of a let down as the CGI really took me out of it, but the general look of the film and locations are just a beautifully bleak tundra to behold. Thank fuck Hardy's improved his accent, and I liked it too "Yea..", what a nasy shit he is in this.

The antithesis between the Western conquerors and the American Indians with Glass and his son sat hostage square in the middle, playing with prejudice and racism there too, as well as the ancient revenge trope. Also there was the entire inference of the Native American belief in animal spirit embodying a person, after the bear attack Glass starts catching fish by hand and eating it raw, hanging around with packs of wolves, then literally is borne from the belly of a horse. It's like Bravestarr on a bigger budget and without the talking horse. I generally don't like fight scenes and war shite, but this throws you into the scene so directly I couldn't help get caught up in it.
Spoiler alert
Knew he was gonna push Hardy alive into the river even before the Indians turned up (that 2nd Indian seemed a bit of a gayer with that lingering look didn't he?) and the Indian lady at the end I imagined was the implied mother of his son (appearing in spirit or hallucination), the last connection he has to his boy before he presumably succumbs to the cold. Brilliant stuff.
[close]