Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC thread

Started by wooders1978, November 16, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Could die on its arse but in case anyone watches -
Rousey had it comin'?
I thought the way she bahaved was crass and she got shown up big time by being pitted against a talented fighter - I really like the way the straweight division is headed too - Joanna Polish name is great champ IMO

Anyway - mcgregor vs Aldo next

I've watched that fight about 20 times by now, what a performance by Holm. Ronda didn't just get KO'd, she got embarrassed for 6 minutes. I don't think she can come back from that, Hollywood and other distractions beckon and a rematch would end the same way. Too many yes men and leaches (aka her trainers) ruined a great athlete.

Next month's fights are a dream come true (if they go ahead). I really think McGregor can do it and the fight is sure to be a belter regardless. Mendes-Edgar will be class if it doesn't turn into 9 minutes of wrestle-fucking.

wooders1978

Well I tend to agree about Rousey not being able to come back - I can see her moving into pro wrestling to be honest
I think her big problem was that holm had her hiptoss armbar moved sussed and her other trick of an onslaught of fists was never going to work against a former boxing world champ
Be interesting to see if Ronda comes back at all but it could go the other way and she'll part company with her camp (this needs to happen) and come back more rounded and focused after a humbling reality check after believing she was just unbeatable
I think mcgregor has his first really big challenged and could hind himself being rouseyed against Aldo - certainly one of the most exciting fights in a while

greenman

Started watching MMA during the Pride years and as trashy as the UFC presentation is(like watching Richard Scudamore present Match of the Day) I'v carried on, generally fast forwarding the spiel between actual fights.

I suspect Rousey will carry on as a Holm rematch will draw massive interest. As to how she might do I  would say this loss seemed like a combination of some technical weaknesses(very lacking in stand up defence and timing) but also seemingly buying into the ridiculous hype around her. She basically went out there with little other plan than trying to KO Holm, was competitive for a couple of mins but her technical weakness was clearly going to cause problems if she didn't finish it fast. She'd have been much better off looking to focus more on grappling where she does excel. Nobody can take anyone down at will if they have good defence but its a lot easier to avoid the clinch as Holm did if an opponent is getting there body behind big punches, that provides an opening to side step as your opponent is committed to moving in a certain direction.

Famous Mortimer

Maybe a rematch, but Hollywood beckons - much like Gina Carano, who very sensibly realised there was a better world outside MMA.

I also started watching in the Pride years (my first "live" event was Pride 10), so I love the showmanship side of it. Not seen any UFC in a while, though - any good recent stuff to recommend?

UFC 189! Even the prelims were great. Lawlor-MacDonald is the fight of the year. You owe it to yourself.

wooders1978

Yeah that was a mind blowing ufc - best ever IMO

mikeyg27

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2015, 03:54:09 PM
I also started watching in the Pride years (my first "live" event was Pride 10), so I love the showmanship side of it. Not seen any UFC in a while, though - any good recent stuff to recommend?

After dropping interest levels over the past few years, getting BT Sport this year has meant I've ended up watching a lot more UFC again. There hasn't really been a dud Title Fight in 2015, and a couple have been incredible (Lawler-McDonald, Cormier-Gustafsson). I also think UFC 189 was probably the best Main Card that they've done this year (and Sinead O'Connor singing Conor McGregor's entrance song live in person was very high on my list of Best Sporting Moments of 2015) although 187 was pretty great too. Andrei Arlovski vs Travis Browne was a ridiculous war inside one round. That's a pretty good re-entry point into the insanity of MMA.

On Rousey, I'd been enjoying watching her tear through the Women's ranks, but she seems to have taken a turn into dickheadery of late (not nearly enough has been made of her shameless cheap-shot punch after the bell in Round 1). She clearly just believed her own hype regarding her striking ability too much, and maybe even wanted to prove a point after people had claimed that it would be Holm's only way to win. I didn't know all that much about Holm beforehand TBH, but when I saw that Greg Jackson was in her corner, it all made sense - the guy is a tactical wizard.

Old Thrashbarg

187 really was great too. It's been a good year in general, apart from Jon Jones being a massive dickhead. Not sure how I feel about his return, as I love watching him fight and he's been one of my favourites since the first couple of times I saw him, but it doesn't seem like he's had enough punishment for his crimes yet.

greenman

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 17, 2015, 03:54:09 PM
Maybe a rematch, but Hollywood beckons - much like Gina Carano, who very sensibly realised there was a better world outside MMA.

I don't mind the showmanship at all, its the constant pushing of an agenda and generally cheap advert heavy production I dislike.

As has been said this year has been pretty good for big fights delivering, indeed the last couple of years have been pretty good, I'd recommend...

Jones/Gustafsson
Lawler/Rory MacDonald
Aldo/Mendes 2
Cain/Werdum
Arlovski/Browne
Weidman/Machida

Repeater

I'm a blue belt, dickheads.

Repeater

Legit. Got my blue yesterday. Anyway the main card last night sucked but the early prelims and prelims were good. Worth watching. The Sanchez fight was good patter too b

up_the_hampipe

Rousey has given her first interview since the loss to Holm. She's taken it very badly. But she'll be back, apparently. This is playing out like a cheesy sports film.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnwrousey/in-exclusive-interview-ronda-rousey-says-not-losing-holly-holm

Rousey simply failed in her first real challenge. She was the Royce Gracie of her division in that she brought something different that nobody was skilled enough to handle. She had to wait for her competition to evolve. When she ran into a legitimate multi-disciplined fighter in Holly Holm her weaknesses were exploited. It's interesting that the UFC's marketing team are heavily investing in Paige Van Zant as the next wholesome blonde American fighter to step into Rousey's shoes. Rousey was a trailblazer who laid the blueprint for women in combat sports and how somebody can transition from fighting to action movies.

Old Thrashbarg

Really looking forward to this weekend's event, as I'd imagine pretty much all MMA fans are. McGregor is obviously a bit of a dick, but you can almost guarantee that he won't be involved in a dull match. Looks like the main card is due to start around 3am, with the main event probably around 5am. Might be a bit of a challenge to stay awake for all of it, but I'll be giving it a go.

wooders1978

Should be a great fighting weekend with ufc and boxing - I can't wait - little warm up with van sant vs namajunas and northcutt (one to watch) vs the humorously named "Pfister" on Thursday

Repeater

I'll rip the head off every last one of ya midgets.

wooders1978

Quote from: Repeater on December 10, 2015, 12:13:14 AM
I'll rip the head off every last one of ya midgets.
Are you the insecure judo guy from further up thread?

Repeater

What mate? I do jiujitsu very very well

wooders1978

Yep, that's who I meant

Repeater

Predictions for tonight's two title fights?

I'm picking McGregor and Weidman.

wooders1978

Aldo - weidman
I'm not sure why but I am convinced mcgregor is gonna lose

Repeater

Against bjj innit. Aldo and Weedman though I want Conor to win.

Onken

I'm tuned into this barbaric nonsense. Not sure I'll last till 5:30am for McGregor. Watched the boxing before it, caught some Premiership football this evening and theres a wrestling pay per view on tomorrow night! It's all shite if were honest with ourselves.

Onken

rjd2

What the flying fuck was that?

Conor was smug enough before this, no stopping him now.

The previous fight was a slaughter as well.

Enjoyed it though.

Depressed Beyond Tables

In fairness he's doing wonders for the sport.

rjd2

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 13, 2015, 06:10:56 AM
In fairness he's doing wonders for the sport.

Mc Gregor?

Yeah he is box office, I don't mind him to much, I know people who have met him and they have all said he is sound enough, most of his act is for show.