Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC thread

Started by wooders1978, November 16, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repeater

mikeyg27

As I raced through the first four fights on the UFC 202 main card this morning, I assumed it was going to be another one of those glorious cards that I can watch in under an hour (fast-forwarding through the non-fighting BS) because surely McGregor-Diaz won't go the distance? Glad it did though, because that was a fucking war. Kudos to McGregor too for a) clearly learning his lessons from the first fight and b) not only surviving that round 3 but picking up the pace again because he looked like he was running on empty. Not sure I agreed with the result, but I understood it.

Also, it seems laughable now that Anthony Johnson was ever fighting at 170.

greenman

He showed pretty good heart to stay in it but it was rather surprising just how fragile he was, Diaz landed 3-4 good body shots and he was suddenly backing up and breathing heavy. Decision could really have gone either way in terms of the action but was only ever going to go one way with the fighters involved.

Johnson is probably the most exciting finisher in the sport at the moment, a shame that Jones's fuck ups mean we might never get to see them fight although I spose that might be the idea?

Repeater

Bones will be back soon apparently

hewantstolurkatad

Alvarez vs McGregor this weekend, looks like it'll be badly hit by the election ? I'm hearing fuuuuck all about it

Large Noise

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on November 11, 2016, 11:02:12 PM
Alvarez vs McGregor this weekend, looks like it'll be badly hit by the election ? I'm hearing fuuuuck all about it

Hopefully Trump's victory costs Dana White a few million dollars in PPV sales due to lack of media attention.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on November 11, 2016, 11:02:12 PM

Lots of people were talking about the antics at the press conference the other day. McGregor stealing the belt, trying to throw a chair and all that. It'll do fine.

Repeater

Depressed Beyond Tables

Major karma bjs for anyone who can get me a good stream for this. Pm or otherwise. Cheers

Depressed Beyond Tables

hewantstolurkatad

Did Rousey's match bomb? I heard fuck all about it over the last few days. December 30th was a pretty poor date to have it on surely?

rjd2

Garbrandt will be a star, was in genuine awe at times how he absolutely owned Cruz.

mikeyg27

Quote from: rjd2 on January 02, 2017, 12:10:36 AM
Garbrandt will be a star, was in genuine awe at times how he absolutely owned Cruz.

Yeah, really didn't expect Cruz to look ever look like a chump like that. I guess Urijah Faber will have to settle for vicarious victory over Cruz (he seemed really agitated with someone during the post-fight photo op).

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on January 01, 2017, 05:36:12 PM
Did Rousey's match bomb? I heard fuck all about it over the last few days. December 30th was a pretty poor date to have it on surely?

Well, it was on the front page of the BBC website yesterday morning, so I think it had some traction. A NYE card is one of the UFC's traditional annual cards along with Independence Day weekend and Superbowl weekend, though NYE being on the Saturday probably complicated matters. It didn't help that Velasquez-Werdum had to be scrapped last-minute so there wash't all that much star power left.

There's not much star power left at all now. 2017 could be a make or break year for the company.

Bacon

UFC 209 this weekend, should be a good night. I think Woodley will defeat Thompson by decision, sincerely hope Khabib beats Tony Ferguson, I'll go with him winning by decision.

Hunt KO Overeem

I got Woodley by KO (almost happened in the first fight) and Ferguson by submission. I have a feeling Overeem by decision but it's heavyweight so literally anything could happen.

greenman

If Overeem is smart(which he often isn't) he'll look for the takedown quickly and either sub Hunt or tire him out a bit. If he just backs off and covers up against the cage he's likely in trouble although I can see him hurting Hunt from range.

Not sure I see Fergerson by submission unless Nurmagomedov is either hurt and very tired, he has a few recently but against much lower level grapplers. I'd say his best shot is probably either a KO on tiring him out standing although personally I suspect he'll get taken down and beaten up on the ground, his takedown defence has never looked that great to me.

The title match could go either way I spose although I suspect that punch by Woodley might have been more of an upset moment he can't bank on happening again. Without that I think he'll need takedowns as I don't see him winning a decision standing.

Bacon

Quote from: greenman on March 01, 2017, 09:16:15 AM
The title match could go either way I spose although I suspect that punch by Woodley might have been more of an upset moment he can't bank on happening again. Without that I think he'll need takedowns as I don't see him winning a decision standing.

He could bank on one of those punches again, he's finished enough fights with it, it's just the range he has to be in to throw one of those overarm rights is precisely the range where Thompson is deadly with those kicks. I reckon Woodley will try and take it to the mat where he will no doubt outwrestle Thompson.

There has been a lot of complaints about Woodley's reaction to the draw, at first I thought ah shut up man be a good sportsman, but looking back Woodley battered Thompson for most of the fight! Not sure about his claims of racism though, he thinks the UFC puts a greater push behind white champions than black ones. Can't say I think that's true (Anderson Silva, Jon Jones)

I am itching to see Khabib vs Mcgregor

greenman

I think the draw was pretty clear personally, Thompson definitely won 3 rounds but Woodley deserved a 10-8 when he hurt him. Honestly I don't think theres really much overt racism in the MMA fanbase, perhaps some favouritism as it is a mostly white audience without any team allegiances but I would say a lot more sexism exists.

Again I think its hard to call as whilst Woodley has landed big punches before he's also had fights where he fails to do so and gets outworked as vs Rory MacDonald. I get the feeling that Thompson became a little over cautious after that early takedown and could benefit from throwing more kicks in the rematch.

Bisping-GSP for the 185 title?! I'm not sure how I feel about that - GSP has legend status and deserves a fight for whatever title he wants, but it's not fair for the middleweight contenders. BUT Romero is a cheating bastard anyway so fuck 'im.
GSP should make handy work of him as long as he doesn't underestimate him and his ring rust isn't so bad.

Large Noise

Got money on Overeem, Ferguson and Woodley.

I thought Overeem looked good against Miocic until he got caught, and will be able to outwork Hunt and keep him on the outside. Also, Hunt's 42 and hasn't fought in a while.

Ferguson v Khabib I don't know. Took Ferguson because he was the underdog and because he's got good takedown defense.

Woodley v Wonderboy could go either way too, but I thought Woodley was better in the first fight, even if a draw wasn't necessarily the wrong decision. 

Woodley is just dull and devoid of charisma and personality. I think he's caught between being a nice guy family man, and putting on an act, so what you get is nothing. It's hard to market such a bland champion. He can't really call the race card,  seeing as Cormier and Rashad Evans are strong company faces and analysts on Fox, and given how the UFC have backed Jon Jones through all his troubles and consider Mighty Mouse to be the PfP best in his era.

I'd like to see Ferguson beat Khabib. I have a feeling it's going to be a war, with lots of crazy offence. I think Ferguson's reach will be the difference.

greenman

Its been on shaky ground for years but I'd say Bisping/GSP should really mark the end of UFC belts having any real credibility in terms of marking out the best fighter in a division and Bisping probably has to go down as the most protected champion since Tito in the early 00's.

Repeater

The belts never had any sporting value, mma isn't a sport nor a meritocracy. It's a freak show of prize fighting. It's brilliant but it's far from legit, never has been.

greenman

In the past of course you had different orgs with claims that there champion was the best fighter in a division and the odd questionable title shot but things have clearly pushed much further in that direction in the past year. The LW fight at the weekend is in many peoples eyes for the true #1 spot and the same could potentially happen with a Romero/Jacare rematch, I'm guessing even the winner of that probably wouldn't get a title shot in favour of Anderson though.

Repeater

Nah, started as a freak show, remained as a freak show, Zuffa tried to instil a veneer of legitimacy but nah still a freak show. No drug testing, bs rules, no weight classes, celebs jumping queues, backstage fights, defections, feuds between owners / fighters etc etc etc. Always been this way, always should be.

Bacon

Tony Ferguson is the least convincing trash talker I have ever heard. He sounds like a bad voice actor from one of the GTA games

greenman

Quote from: Repeater on March 02, 2017, 03:51:34 PM
Nah, started as a freak show, remained as a freak show, Zuffa tried to instil a veneer of legitimacy but nah still a freak show. No drug testing, bs rules, no weight classes, celebs jumping queues, backstage fights, defections, feuds between owners / fighters etc etc etc. Always been this way, always should be.

That's a pretty big gap your talking about back to an era where the sport was much more limited, you don't want to see the best fight the best at the top?

Honestly I don't think Bisping/GSP is even a very interesting prospect, two generally quite safe decision fighters.

Repeater

It's not a gap or an era, it's always been a circus. From the nineties until now.