Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC thread

Started by wooders1978, November 16, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

The "banter" was so bad this time round. "Your wife is your husband" fucking hell.

I do wonder how Conor's missus feels about him bringing Dustin's wife... but its well known McGregor isn't the most discrete when it comes to seeing other ladies. I hope when she divorces she gets a lot of money.

I think Conor would need some sort of winnable fight when he comes back. This will be a long lay off so maybe someone like RDA and see what his level is?

BeardFaceMan

When Conor talks he doesn't understand the difference between giving people motivation to watch the fight and giving his opponent motivation to give him a kicking. He'd be much better off going to WWE at this point.

rjd2

Worth a bump.

2 of the best PPV'S of the year coming up next 2 Saturday's. Tomorrow its actually starting at 3.30pm so main card starting at 7pm thank God.

Looking forward to the return of Khamzat even if he looked like death today, Islam will murder Hooker (crikey ) while Jan and Yan probably will win the two title matches, but nonetheless a surprise is possible as Sandhagen and Glover are really fucking good.

Next weekend, Colby v Usman, Gaetjhe v Chandler and Rose v Zhang rematch with some really fun fights elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1454055138088427525

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1454140706273079306/photo/1

rjd2

I know people sulked that Colby sat on his arse and its "rematch" but he's Usman's most difficult opponent right now and first fight was a classic.

I dunno how Colby can win as Usman seems to have serious knockout power now, but nonetheless am looking forward to it.

I just want a war in the Chandler fight.

rjd2

Absolute banger of a card lads.

timbis

Amazing. Petr Yan might not be the the best fighter in the world but he's close. I don't think there's a fighter I enjoy watching more. So happy for Glover. Jiri is going to wreck him though and it's going to be sad.

greenman

Nice to see him get the belt  although I do think Glover has benefited from the UFC tending to let good grapplers go quite often in recent years, means he's one of the few guys who can really test opponents there and several fighters like Jan and Santos with grappling weaknesses have been able to rise a lot further than they would likely have if Davis, Bader, etc were still around.

rjd2

Jiri is very hittable though, so Glover has a chance. Jiri is a lot of fun so if he became champ that is fine.

I know he is in a stacked division, but nobody is beating Islam, its a cliche but he is Khabbib II.

Khamzat also looks frightening, but I'd like to see him fight a higher standard of opponents, before I get on the hype train, nonetheless though at inly 27 his time will come soon enough.

greenman

Quote from: rjd2 on October 31, 2021, 02:00:58 PM
Jiri is very hittable though, so Glover has a chance. Jiri is a lot of fun so if he became champ that is fine.

I know he is in a stacked division, but nobody is beating Islam, its a cliche but he is Khabbib II.

Khamzat also looks frightening, but I'd like to see him fight a higher standard of opponents, before I get on the hype train, nonetheless though at inly 27 his time will come soon enough.

I'm guessing against how good Jiri's anti grappling is might be a big issue in that fight, opponents previously have gotten him down but he's never lost that way and has gotten up reasonably well.

I actually think part of the reason why Khabib style fighters have been so effective recently in MMA is that the UFC espeically has been very much focused on avoiding the ground game. Lots of fighters use "just stand up" like tactics were they give up their backs to do it which works against wrestlers without much sub threat but doesnt work against the sambo fighters who bring more of a submission threat and are often good at chain wrestling.

The idea of fighting off of your back lookign for submissions and sweeps is now very rare in modern MMA.

timbis

Jiri is hittable. He also has a monumentally iron chin. I can't see Glover getting through it without getting his shit absolutely rocked.

Good card next week too. Gaethje, Weili and Usman for me please.

rjd2

That was pretty cool in the end. Obvious highlight was the Justin war.

Happy enough for Rose although either girl winning was fine with me. Frankie really should retire and sadly the Burgos fight was so unfortunate to be on after the Chandler war.

Main event is a tricky one, obviously Usman won the first 2, but for me I had Colby edging the last the three, but it's not something to cry over . Usman hasn't much left in the division to beat , maybe Luque before Khamzat.

Colby teased a face turn, but sadly seems to be back in the MAGA gimmick mode again, but nonetheless hoping he is a bit more active in the next few years as he still so fucking good in the ring.

Deanjam

BeardFaceMan

I'd look a bit sad too if someone was kicking me in the face, to be fair.

wooders1978

Quote from: rjd2 on November 07, 2021, 06:41:12 PM
That was pretty cool in the end. Obvious highlight was the Justin war.

Happy enough for Rose although either girl winning was fine with me. Frankie really should retire and sadly the Burgos fight was so unfortunate to be on after the Chandler war.

Main event is a tricky one, obviously Usman won the first 2, but for me I had Colby edging the last the three, but it's not something to cry over . Usman hasn't much left in the division to beat , maybe Luque before Khamzat.

Colby teased a face turn, but sadly seems to be back in the MAGA gimmick mode again, but nonetheless hoping he is a bit more active in the next few years as he still so fucking good in the ring.

Watched the rose fight again and I think weili was robbed of a W there

The Weasel reckons Zhang's big looking punch in the second round didn't land - headbutt/slip - in which case it's an easier round and fight to score for Namajunas. Not sure it having been a landed punch would hand the round to Zhang anyway since Namajunas landed on the way in and did seem to slip back more than get rocked then landed a good head kick after she got her footing and Zhang rushed in.

But Namajunas could easily have lost 3-2 as the first three rounds were pretty close.

rjd2

The fight nights have been a little drab recently, but the PPV'S have hit the spot more often than not.

Still astonished by Nunes getting lit up, dunno what happened their at all, maybe just lost the hunger now.

O Malley is fun but want him to fight a non can next year.

Poor Dustin though....

wooders1978

Was pretty speechless by nunes performance in round 2, gassed herself and got knocked wonky a few times, then tapped a bit easily I thought - we'll see if she has the stomach to come back stronger and better, seemed to me like she can't be arsed anymore, hope I'm wrong

Dustin didn't shut down Olivera when the chances were there, probably scared of getting kneed to fuckery

rjd2

Yeah who knows with Nunes, she seems quite content in her personal life and I assume her bank balance is good, so maybe she is no longer arsed. It's a sport though where some fighters just lose it overnight so the rematch will obviously tell us a lot.

I assume the fight v Harrison is now even more unlikely, Kayla wants the name recognition that UFC would bring , but she is earning at least 1 million a year squashing cans so it's a nice problem she has. 

Dustin now chasing Nate is a bit of a shame, got to be much more interesting fights out their, but obviously from a financial POV I totally understand it.

rjd2

Maybe worth a bump since the UFC was in the UK?

Good night for the UK , Paul Craig got dominated and then produced a Craig finish, the main card was loaded with UK fighters and it was excellent.

Molly Mc Cann delivered a quality KO while Pimblett finished a jobber quickly in round 1. Both of those I don't see going far in their respective divisions so Dana will have to keep feeding Paddy bums for these UK shows. as tbf the guy is a genuine draw in the UK.

Aspinall and Allen however don't need to be protected  as both are on a serious run of form. Only drawback for Allen is he doesn't have much charisma sadly. 

Aspinall v Tai now thank you.

molly ko

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1505287663519248386?cxt=HHwWhMC9zfLJ7eMpAAAA

Aspinall sub

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1505312732161130500?cxt=HHwWiICyxYr9-OMpAAAA

Allen KO

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1505306195959107584?cxt=HHwWgMCyhdCA9uMpAAAA

Topuria KO

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1505279702340100102?cxt=HHwWjICzmb_66eMpAAAA

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: rjd2 on March 20, 2022, 03:53:25 AMPimblett finished a jobber quickly in round 1.

I don't watch MMA, but I did see a bit of this last night and it struck me as so like wrestling in parts that I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't a work. Someone being described as a jobber doesn't help with that. I did think Pimblett should turn heel though.

All three of the fights I saw ended in about two minutes, is that the norm? How many go on for any length of time?

rjd2

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 20, 2022, 12:52:23 PMI don't watch MMA, but I did see a bit of this last night and it struck me as so like wrestling in parts that I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't a work. Someone being described as a jobber doesn't help with that. I did think Pimblett should turn heel though.

All three of the fights I saw ended in about two minutes, is that the norm? How many go on for any length of time?

Sometimes on a card quite a lot can go the distance. 6 of the 14 fights on the fight night card went the distance last week including 2 on the main that were expected to be short and brutal.

On the last PPV  8 of the 13 fights went the distance including the final 3 although the guys involved were more known for their wrestling than their finishing so was not a huge shock.

On last night regarding the  6 fights on the main card, the Allen and Mc Cann fight would have been expected to go the distance. Allen normally wins by decision and their isn't many finishes in ladies MMA.

Topuria and Pimblett were in squash matches although Topuria nearly lost ... Volkov v Aspinall was close when it came to betting etc and Vokov goes the distance a bit so the early finish their a big shock although I assume the betting would have favored it not going the distance slightly.

kitsofan34

Both main events encapsulated by Trevor Whittman students showing the most idiotic fight IQ. Rose refusing to hit, Justin reverting to his old self, swinging so hard he fell off balance a few times.

rjd2

Quote from: kitsofan34 on May 08, 2022, 11:05:57 AMBoth main events encapsulated by Trevor Whittman students showing the most idiotic fight IQ. Rose refusing to hit, Justin reverting to his old self, swinging so hard he fell off balance a few times.

Was a messy PPV wasn't it?

Chandler is gloriously over the top and as always delivered. Justin showed little fight IQ sadly and that's why he will never be champion. He's always going to have a nice spot on the PPV cards due to how entertaining his fights are so small consolation etc.

Don't really remember much of the rest of the card sadly and obviously tried to forget the Rose debacle.

Charles v Islam though is a genuine banger, I'd like it in Brazil, but Dubai in October seems likely.

Chollis

Anyone watching THE BIG ONE tonight? Just wanna see Strickland get pulverised, seems like a massive cunt

druss

Quote from: Chollis on January 20, 2024, 06:31:39 PMAnyone watching THE BIG ONE tonight? Just wanna see Strickland get pulverised, seems like a massive cunt
I don't watch much UFC but caught a Strickland video and he indeed seems a mega cunt. Feel like 95% of UFC fans pretty much think like him unfortunately if the comments were anything to go by.

rjd2

Not a great PPV, the co main event was abysmal. Pennington as champion is a sad state of affairs indeed. Magny smashing a prospect was funny though.

On the main fight, Strickland won 3-2 , but due to his languid style he always leaves himself open to split decision type losses like that.

Next few PPVS do look much better on paper at least.