Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC thread

Started by wooders1978, November 16, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Weidman fucked my accumulator, I don't even care. 13 FUCKING SECONDS!

Garam

The Brazilians' reaction to this on my facebook feed was classic. Just about 15-20 status updates all saying

nãooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nãããããããããooooooooooooooooooooo

These kind of sports feel like a bit of ripoff to me. All that buildup and it's over in 13 seconds. Booo

mikeyg27

I've just watched it. Laughing for a solid 2 minutes afterwards. For one of the best fighters of all time José Aldo sure had a dumb gameplan.

Rockhold is also a beast. Going to be fascinating to see how Weidman comes back from this. It was a fairly even fight until the takedown in the 3rd round but Rockhold absolutely swarmed on him once he had the opportunity.

Repeater

Quote from: Garam on December 13, 2015, 09:34:59 AM

These kind of sports feel like a bit of ripoff to me. All that buildup and it's over in 13 seconds. Booo

Seen a lot of fucking dafties say this. The main event was 13 seconds, aye, but the show was 3 hours, with 2 title fights and many more names than you'd usually get on your standard PPV. Who are you mad at when you boo the length of the fight? Aldi got ripped in short order, it was beautiful. The whole thing was unreal, from the moment he walked out to 'til the bitter end. You're buying the whole package. Fuck sake, what does boxing give you? 30 minutes of two boxers jabbing away, doing not much? Aye you get to watch the main event for a bit more time but so fuck, yer watching shite.

Garam

Quote from: Repeater on December 13, 2015, 02:24:01 PM
Who are you mad at when you boo the length of the fight?

I'm not mad at anyone, i couldn't give a fuck. I didn't even know about this match until i saw online Brazilians whining about it, so i watched a 10 second gif to placate my curiosity

just saying if i followed all that hype and runup and then it was over like that i'd be a bit underwhelmed and irritated. It wasn't even an amazing knockout, the Brazilian kind of stumbled and then the other guy bashed him in the back of the head when he was down.

basically what i'm saying is basketball > ufc

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Garam on December 13, 2015, 05:04:47 PM
just saying if i followed all that hype and runup and then it was over like that i'd be a bit underwhelmed and irritated.

Unless you were supporting the Irishman in which case you'd be thinking job done with as little damage sustained as is physically possible. It was a great knock out in context and out of context.

Out of context he knocked out the opponent with pretty much his first punch. That's extraordinary.

In context he's the first Irish UFC champ. He beat a big favourite who was odds on to win and who I believe was pretty much undefeated. He beat him with one punch and barely got a mark on him.

They packed a lot into that 10 seconds. McGregor swung and connected with Aldo, knocking him out while Aldo swung and connected with McGregor, cutting him over his eye and falling to the ground unconscious at the same time. Both fighters were cut and bleeding at the end with one the new champ and the other one bursting into horrible tears.

It's weird the way even the most hardened of hard bastards these day burst into tears. Why is that?

Depressed Beyond Tables

I don't know. It never happens to me.

*goes back to bench pressing 240*

Garam

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 13, 2015, 05:24:07 PM
Unless you were supporting the Irishman in which case you'd be thinking job done with as little damage sustained as is physically possible. It was a great knock out in context and out of context.

Out of context he knocked out the opponent with pretty much his first punch. That's extraordinary.

In context he's the first Irish UFC champ. He beat a big favourite who was odds on to win and who I believe was pretty much undefeated. He beat him with one punch and barely got a mark on him.

They packed a lot into that 10 seconds. McGregor swung and connected with Aldo, knocking him out while Aldo swung and connected with McGregor, cutting him over his eye and falling to the ground unconscious at the same time. Both fighters were cut and bleeding at the end with one the new champ and the other one bursting into horrible tears.

It's weird the way even the most hardened of hard bastards these day burst into tears. Why is that?

it took longer to read this post than it did to watch the match.

also being the first Irish champ isn't impressive cause the sport is only about 15 minutes old and was only played by Americans until about last week. Also i'm not Irish[nb]or one of those americans that pretend they're Irish[/nb] so i don't care that he is Irish. He could've been Dutch for all i know, didn't make the gif any longer

(i'm sorry for entering this thread)

edit: to be fair i did just watch a slo-mo action replay and it both a) made the punches look a lot more impressive and b) made the fight last quite a bit longer, so i'm reasonably satisfied now

Repeater

Mate. Ye don't follow so like don't go "if I followed it id be like..."  Coz, as I telt ye, you don't follow it so how would you know how you'd be like

Repeater

Basically, shit was perfect last night.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Garam on December 13, 2015, 06:45:14 PM
it took longer to read this post than it did to watch the match.

You're in a pugnacious mood. Most things take longer than the match because the match was 13 seconds long. It would take longer than 13 seconds to read most of your posts. What's your fucking point?

Quote from: Garam on December 13, 2015, 06:45:14 PM
(i'm sorry for entering this thread)

Apology accepted. Now fuck off.

Repeater

newbridge

Only in a fake sport like UFC could a man be celebrated for letting his opponent fully connect with a punch to the head in the first ten seconds of a fight, only to be saved by the fact that he was fighting a glass-jawed chump.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: newbridge on December 13, 2015, 09:19:52 PM
Only in a fake sport like UFC could a man be celebrated for letting his opponent fully connect with a punch to the head in the first ten seconds of a fight, only to be saved by the fact that he was fighting a glass-jawed chump.
Conversely, Aldo took a huge risk by sacrificing his defences to get a punch to the head in the first ten seconds, and he got exactly what he deserved.

I'd've thought a rematch would be the money follow up but I guess they dont want to risk Aldo regaining it just yet,

Repeater

Risk? He just got pulped.

hewantstolurkatad

Yeah but hadn't he pretty much cleared out the division other than mcgregor? If he got it back convincingly they'd be scraping the barrel beyond that.

Repeater

Repeater

If Aldo got it back? How would that happen? Conor destroyed him. Doesn't warrant a rematch.

hewantstolurkatad

What warrants rousey getting a rematch, she was dismantled consistently over several minutes? It sounds like she's going straight into one though. Aldo's been champion for ages altogether and its a loss you could easily put down to bad luck or whatever.

Repeater

Neither 'should' get rematches. Only Conor is in the position to say nup though.

rjd2

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on December 14, 2015, 12:52:37 AM
What warrants rousey getting a rematch, she was dismantled consistently over several minutes? It sounds like she's going straight into one though. Aldo's been champion for ages altogether and its a loss you could easily put down to bad luck or whatever.

Because Ronda is an absolute monster draw and Holm would want it as it will make her a lot of money.

All about the money this industry.

Repeater

Always has been since literally event 1. Not a criticism btw.

Garam

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 13, 2015, 08:24:00 PM
You're in a pugnacious mood. Most things take longer than the match because the match was 13 seconds long. It would take longer than 13 seconds to read most of your posts. What's your fucking point?

Apology accepted. Now fuck off.

jesus christ it was a joke you miserable pugnacious twat

Depressed Beyond Tables

Take it outside 'guys'.

For such a short match it was fairly emphatic. It's amazing how wrong most of the fellow ufc fighters were about McGregor. Most claimed he was out of his depth, talked a good talk, would get a pounding etc.

He made Aldo look like a slouch. I'd imagine any rematch would be along the same lines.

Onken

Every day for weeks now I've seen Conor McGregor videos popping up on my feeds.

UFC has never been bigger.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Onken on March 06, 2016, 12:29:08 AM
Every day for weeks now I've seen Conor McGregor videos popping up on my feeds.

UFC has never been bigger.
I was initially "really?" but you might be right, 2 of the top 5 buyrates of all time in the last six months:

http://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

Onken

Yeah, The Guardian ran this two days ago. The result wasn't best for business. Some of the new McGregor fans introduced to UFC will stay around but can imagine hoards will lose interest after his defeat now. I had a passing curiosity at most.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/04/the-fight-game-reloaded-how-mma-conquered-world-ufc

mikeyg27

I initially thought it was a win-win situation for McGregor, because if he won he'd got a win in a higher division, and if he lost then well he shouldn't have been there anyway so fair enough, but given the way McGregor lost that fight after having the upper hand for most of it and then tapping out pretty much as soon as the choke was applied really made him look like a chump. Back down to 145, methinks. I bet the UFC are glad too, given how much Conor has been going on about being the face of the company, to see him humbled somewhat.

The Holm - Tate fight was amazing. The look of giving it everything she could on Tate's face when she sunk in that choke at the end was terrifying. I thought she'd blown it by not taking her chance in Round 2. That's probably good for the UFC too, because Rousey has her number so there's an easy path to her getting her belt back.

Old Thrashbarg

I don't think McGregor comes out of that too badly really. He dominated the first seven minutes against someone much bigger (both on the night and naturally) and just got caught with a good shot that didn't recover from. And that came after preparing for a fight against a much different opponent in the weight class below, with just a week and a bit to completely alter his approach.

I'd expect him to drop down to lightweight now, as there's not much more he could achieve at featherweight. But it'd probably be wise to have a fight against someone else first, before moving on to dos Anjos.

Van Dammage

Delighted to see Mcgregor get beat