Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UFC thread

Started by wooders1978, November 16, 2015, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repeater

BOOM
you're gonna get hit
BOOM
you're gonna get knocked out

up_the_hampipe

Lots of drama going on in the UFC world today. Conor McGregor posted weird random retirement tweet. He's been pulled from UFC 200. There's speculation and even hints from the McGregor camp that he's going to WWE. Dana White doesn't really seem to know what's going on despite the fact that McGregor didn't want to do any of the promotion for the next Diaz fight. Ariel Helwani is reporting that McGregor's tweet was 100% serious despite initial thoughts he was trolling.

Madness, I say.

Osmium

If the rumour that he's after more money is true, he's barking up the wrong tree putting the feelers out to the WWE. If it's a genuine retirement for a valid reason such as he has decided he doesn't want to be punched in the head for a living, then fair enough. More likely he's just being an attention seeker, or trying to strong-arm the UFC.

hewantstolurkatad

He was by far the biggest draw of what was supposed to be the UFC's biggest event in years, pretty easy to see how he might think he'd be able to strongarm his way into a very nice deal.

On the other hand, this rematch has seemed a bit of a mess from the day it was announced. Outside of money, it made very little sense for either guy, and even then it's not like McGregor had no alternatives. The weight choice for the match was weird too. The relationship could've been very fractured behind the scenes ever since he announced he was moving up without dropping the belt.

There's a whole heap of strange rumours going around about the reasons for the 'retirement'. Failed drug tests, GSP returning and getting the headline slot at UFC 200 which allegedly irked McGregor, and even that the recent death at the Irish MMA event had made McGregor consider his future.

Interesting story to follow in the coming days. What McGregor did reveal was how one man transcended his sport, and attracted genuine interest and spectacle. Yet, despite getting well rewarded financially by the UFC he saw a big discrepancy between what he was making, and what fighters like Floyd Mayweather were making.

Viero_Berlotti

Part of me feels like this is one big ruse though, all part of selling UFC 200 which Conor McGregor excels at. I 90% expect to see Conor fighting there.

That said Dana White is a grade A twat who falls out big time with fighters on a regular basis, so I also wouldn't be surprised if this was genuine.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 20, 2016, 10:34:18 PM
That said Dana White is a grade A twat who falls out big time with fighters on a regular basis, so I also wouldn't be surprised if this was genuine.
He seems to always fall back in with them too, so McGregor faces next to no repercussions for being a total c*nt if he want to throw his weight around. Dana is always involved in this shit to the point that the fighters are pretty likely to get the benefit of the doubt over which party is being unreasonable.

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 20, 2016, 10:24:17 PM
GSP returning and getting the headline slot at UFC 200 which allegedly irked McGregor
Assuming he only agreed to this rematch (which has a very strong chance of seriously damaging his value) to get the big payout of headlining 200, that's pretty understandable!

up_the_hampipe

McGregor has posted a statement https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

Turns out he's not retired. He wanted more leeway with promotion. That was something Dana White was hinting at when interviewed and he seemed adamant that all fighters must do all promotional commitments without exception. McGregor says he's ready for UFC 200, he was just doing what he could to get some space and train thoroughly. I'm sure White will cave to his demands, regardless of how unfair it is on the other fighters. Let's hope he rethinks the intense promotional schedules anyway, because no one should have to do all that soul-crushing bollocks. McGregor makes some decent points but he will most likely be labelled as a diva for this.

Viero_Berlotti

McGregor has generated more publicity by not attending. Dana White has realised this and so it's probably fight back on. They'll eake out the 'will they won't they' bullshit for a while longer though.

Repeater

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Repeater on April 22, 2016, 11:15:04 PM
Mate

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Explain yourself.

Repeater

up_the_hampipe

"Brock Lesnar close to finalizing deal to fight at UFC 200"

Usually rumours like this get dismissed, especially considering he is still in a multi-year contract with WWE. But the very reputable Ariel Helwani is reporting it this time, so there's a lot of buzz at the moment.

Viero_Berlotti

Yes, Lesnar confirmed for UFC 200 last night. Also the small matter of journeyman Michael Bisping becoming the first British UFC champ. Deserved really after the Rocky-esque 5 round marathon against Anderson Silva in his last fight. (Which Silva really should've won if he hadn't of fucked about looking for the spectacular KO in the first 2 rounds).

Penfold

Also Ariel Helwani was kicked out of UFC 199 and banned for life.

Very mature reaction.

mikeyg27

Just watched UFC 199. Didn't know the results beforehand so I was caching like a madman when Bisping finished Rockhold. So glad fit finally happened for him - he's been the nearly man for pretty much the entirety of my UFC watching. I also enjoyed the slo-mo replay of him clearly yelling "FUCK YOU" at Rockhold whilst celebrating at the top of the cage. A pair of classy guys.

He'll get creamed next time out by Jacare, but it'll be fun while it lasts.

I had the biggest smile on my face when Bisping won. "Pillowfist" no more. Walking into the post-fight presser with two beers in hand, talking shit. Priceless. Imagine he 1st round KOs Weidman and Jacare and becomes the new McGregor. (Won't happen but a girl can dream).

The Brock fight is one step above Kimbo at this point, tbh. They should have him fight Fedor and be done with it. It's looking like Mark Hunt now, though - I hope he knocks the cunt back into the WWE where he belongs.

greenman

I still don't think Bisping has a great deal of power, its more a question of catching someone off balance, Rockhold has always taken risks keeping his hands low and looking to slip opponents offence ala Fedor despite not having the most amazing boxing to keep people honest but I must admit I didn't think it was going to be Bisping that exploited it.

Speaking of said Russian there has been some talk about him potentially finally signing with the UFC and I'd guess that is probably the biggest fight for Lesnar at this stage even if its several years past its time.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on June 05, 2016, 08:53:48 PM
The Brock fight is one step above Kimbo at this point, tbh. They should have him fight Fedor and be done with it. It's looking like Mark Hunt now, though - I hope he knocks the cunt back into the WWE where he belongs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are wrong because Brock Lesnar is quite amazing.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 05, 2016, 11:02:42 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are wrong because Brock Lesnar is quite amazing.

The Brock Lesnar of 5 years ago was amazing, the post-diverticulitis Suplex City Brock Lesnar has no business fighting competitively. It's a transparent attempt for the UFC to regain some star power for 200 because Jones-Cormier aint drawing in the casuals.

up_the_hampipe

I'm sure people said Brock had no business fighting in UFC when he debuted with one professional fight under his belt. It remains to be seen how he will do. I don't see why post-diverticulitis is a factor. If anything, he's got more of an advantage. He made a full recovery and is now considered more healthy than ever because the diverticulitis was dormant in his system for many years.

hewantstolurkatad

As long as cm Punk is on the ufc roster, it's hard to criticise brick being there

mikeyg27

What is it with the Middleweight belt and hubris? That's the last three times the belt has changed hands that it's been down to the champion being a tit. Anderson Silva's failed bullet-time is still the #1 example of buying too much into one's hype, but Rockhold seeming offended that Bisping would even dare to throw a punch at him is not far off (Weidman's spinning backfist wash't so hubristic, but it was still the act of a man who didn't think through the potential consequences).

Anyway, Brock's getting Mark Hunt. I don't see that going the distance either way. I assume that Brock is going to bullrush him right from the start, because there's no way he's standing with him.

greenman

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 06, 2016, 01:25:35 AM
I'm sure people said Brock had no business fighting in UFC when he debuted with one professional fight under his belt. It remains to be seen how he will do. I don't see why post-diverticulitis is a factor. If anything, he's got more of an advantage. He made a full recovery and is now considered more healthy than ever because the diverticulitis was dormant in his system for many years.

Really you look back into the history of the sport and loads of people have debuted at a high level, the idea that you need to build yourself up is really fairly modern and mostly down to the UFC not being willing to invest early in many fighters with high level backgrounds in other fightsport. I suspect this is going to have a big negative effect on the sport when the older generation of talent they picked up from Pride, Strikeforce, etc who were willing to invest more starts to decline, especially now that steroid use is being clamped down on more making it harder to "age well".

Lesnars illness was really just a way for people to try and explain why his performances didn't meet the hype around him, it was actually at its worst when he was beating Mir in the second fight.

gmoney

Kimbo Slice has died!

greenman

Supposedly from a heart attack, his last opponent almost died from a heart attack following there fight.

Viero_Berlotti

Fedor Emelianenko's comeback fight against Fabio Moldonado in Russia:

https://youtu.be/iJ0GV0zl8YQ

He brawled like a knackered football hooligan through most of this. Not sure if he'd ever have the conditioning now to take on the top UFC heavyweights, looks like he's lost quite a bit of finishing power too.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on June 22, 2016, 10:38:50 PM
Fedor Emelianenko's comeback fight against Fabio Moldonado in Russia:

https://youtu.be/iJ0GV0zl8YQ

He brawled like a knackered football hooligan through most of this. Not sure if he'd ever have the conditioning now to take on the top UFC heavyweights, looks like he's lost quite a bit of finishing power too.

I think if Lesnar somehow beats Mark Hunt he'll fight Fedor in a classic Rocky vs. Drago showdown (although this time Rocky is Russian).

Old Thrashbarg

Jon Jones messes up again at the worst possible time, meaning Brock v Hunt is now the main event of what was supposed to be the organisation's biggest ever night.

Can't imagine Jones being given another chance should the positive test actually be confirmed.