Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,474
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My life working in a shit second-hand game shop

Started by popcorn, November 19, 2015, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

That's fantastic popcorn. You probably have a full book in this!

bgmnts

Yeah that was a nice slice of the grimness of 21st century retail with some endearing little moments. Two fat thumbs up from me.

touchingcloth

Hey, if it's any consolation I thought it was shit x

Ferris

Blue Jam

The Culture Bunker

Was a bit relieved after seeing the title and reading so far in (with the mention of yer man's struggles with mental health) that it didn't end as darkly as I thought it was going to.

The independent game shop really does seem a thing of the past now - there used to be a couple near me, in Chorlton and Stockport, but they went under a few years ago now.

Cracking read.  Glad it didn't end in the way I feared - also, it seems to be a common story for small gaming retailers; truly independent video game stores are now a rare breed, unlike the late '80s to late '00s.

basterfeldt

God. Excellent read. I write, sat at the desk of the second hand book shop I work in, everything cutting a bit close to home.

It appears I'm late to the party but I'd love to know what cancelled game it was that the author wrote dialogue for.

popcorn

Thank you so much for all the kind words, it's horrible exposing a bit of yourself on the internet really (ho ho) but you've made it all feel worthwhile.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 11, 2020, 11:03:16 PM
Popcorn doesnae half hide his light under a bushel with all them posts he puts up as part of his permanent residency on H S Art.

I don't know what you're talking about, my contributions to HS Art are my best work.

Quote from: basterfeldt on October 12, 2020, 02:00:47 PM
It appears I'm late to the party but I'd love to know what cancelled game it was that the author wrote dialogue for.

I actually have another story about my time working on that game. It's very long, like, 30,000 words or something. I think it's the best thing I've written, way better than the shop stories, but I can't share it because I would be sued into oblivion, plus it would fuck over a lot of people personally. And it's not just a case of changing names or anything like that, the nature of the story means I have to give certain details that would make it pretty easy to trace. Rock Paper Shotgun were interested in publishing bits of it but couldn't give me any legal help, so for the time being I'm sitting on it.

JaDanketies

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on October 12, 2020, 02:15:32 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, my contributions to HS Art are my best work.

The sad thing is that this is probably true.

dex

Popcorn you certainly know how to reel people in with your writing. Kudos! Shame you can't publish more but fair enough if it'd get you into legal hot water maybe not.

The Ombudsman

I very much enjoyed reading this and your DMZ post. Looking forward to reading more.

MojoJojo

I suggest we hold a kickstarter so popcorn can write a will to make sure his story is finally told after his death.

A stretch goal could be a hitman so we don't have to wait.

AliasTheCat

Really enjoyed that Popcorn, thanks for posting!

Fr.Bigley

Really bloody lovely this Popcorn mate. Bravo.

pancreas

Quote from: pancreas on October 11, 2020, 10:59:22 PM
Is this a CaB easter egg?

You didn't answer this.

Anyway, just to say I liked it. Also, I am not offended by your nudity or sexual potency one bit.

popcorn

Quote from: pancreas on October 11, 2020, 10:59:22 PM
Is this a CaB easter egg?

No it isn't, and I'm not sure what CaB thing it would be referencing if it were. It's just a true thing that happened. Sorry!

Dex Sawash

Hand Solo

Can you use Ziffit to see how much that Mega Man game is these days?

47p?

popcorn

New story up about a stupid job interview I had in Tokyo: Hows and Whys

monkfromhavana

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2022, 06:47:11 PMNew story up about a stupid job interview I had in Tokyo: Hows and Whys

I liked it. I wonder what their game was? It sounds a little like they were trying to get someone to write something good that they could rip-off, but Yuoko already had a fixed idea of what she wanted.

Pink Gregory

But the little boy, his life was changed for ever.  Do you not see?

Quote from: popcorn on October 11, 2020, 07:05:56 PMAlthough one of the tags on this thread has given me pause to share it, I have written a short followup to this story.

It's a bit depressing and for ages I wasn't sure if it was any good. But fuck it post.

I've just read this for the first time.

I hope Rob's well nearly 2 years on? Did he get the coding apprenticeship after all, is he still in construction or neither of the above?

popcorn

Quote from: DelurkedToHelp on July 20, 2022, 08:37:50 PMI've just read your October
I've just read this for the first time.

I hope Rob's well nearly 2 years on? Did he get the coding apprenticeship after all, is he still in construction or neither of the above?

He didn't land the apprenticeship but is going for another one now. He's still in construction and is now the size of a tank. He also does night shifts as a security guard at a museum, which he greatly enjoys. He says it's exactly like Resident Evil 2.

Pink Gregory

I've, no joke, just read through all of these for probably the third time since I joined CaB.  You really make it sing.