Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cat Stevens and Ronan keating duet

Started by mrs spinktrimpet, October 14, 2004, 04:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrs spinktrimpet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3743196.stm

christmas number 1?

what will they sing? Ramadan-a-ding-dong? Jihad bells? Rudolph the head-less reindeer? the twelve days of 'Idul Adha?

Purple Tentacle

You missed a trick there. Ronan Keating is Irish, so you should have thrown in some hilarious references to the fact that he makes bombs and is always drunk.

rjd2

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"You missed a trick there. Ronan Keating is Irish, so you should have thrown in some hilarious references to the fact that he makes bombs and is always drunk.

i doubt they would have been amusing, I am still recovering from Frank Skinners crap unfunny references to Ireland with Ray Houghton

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "rjd2"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"You missed a trick there. Ronan Keating is Irish, so you should have thrown in some hilarious references to the fact that he makes bombs and is always drunk.
that is not a politically correct thing to say..etc...

No. It's satire.  Something you might want to write a thesis about.....

rjd2

I was being sarky over here if any references to Irelands past e.g. booze and terrorism are mentoined  the whole media goes mad e.g. Frank Skinner.

another Mr. Lizard

Even with Keating's selling power, I'm not sure that this will be a shoo-in for the Xmas number one. I've not heard that there are any plans along these lines, but if someone releases that Lynx ad version (which I've really grown to hate) of 'Over The Rainbow' I reckon it could do a 'Mad World' and pip Cat & Ronan.

Wasn't there also a proposal to put Beck's 'Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime' cover from 'Eternal Sunshine' out as an Xmas no.1 contender too?

"Ronan Keating in Rushdie death fatwa song shocker!"

Fuckwittio

I'm Irish and Ronan Keating himself is an offensive joke.

BetaKarraTene

At secondary school we got shown a video biography of Cat Stevens and his conversion to Islam. Despite the lesson being Religious Studies even the teacher had a laugh at him. What I've heard of his music has been good though (although I undestand he got a bit stroppy about the Flaming Lips business).

Ronan Keating however, is one of my least favourite 'musicians' ever, and I can only wish an infinite number of not-nice things to the smarmy tosser.

Gazeuse

Cat Stevens is one of the best pop melodists ever.

Can you get a software programme which just removes one voice from a duet???

alan strang

Isn't the song going to be 'Father & Son' - with Yusuf playing the father and Ronan playing the son. Or was that just press speculation.

On the original, Cat Stevens played both parts, double-tracked. Always gives me goose-bumps, that. "Away... away... I have to make this decision... alone..."

Boyzone actually covered the song a few years back and totally ruined it (especially on the TOTP Christmas show where, right in the middle of the emotional bit, Ronan decided to address the camera and wish all their fans "a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year").

Yusuf Islam liked their version though, apparently.

Bloody Ronan Keating - he'll have the shirt off
your back before you know it...

Ben Ordinary

Quote from: "alan strang"Boyzone actually covered the song a few years back and totally ruined it (especially on the TOTP Christmas show where, right in the middle of the emotional bit, Ronan decided to address the camera and wish all their fans "a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year").

God, Im glad someone else said that as I thought I'd imagined it. My Dad loves Boyzone and used to play them a lot when we had a pub. In my mind, it was to get people to leave but still every time it got to that bit (and indeed if I heard it now), in my head I'd be able to hear "Merry Crissmuss from Boyzone". What this says about me is quite another matter.

If the Beck thing is true then god bless us each and everyone.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "alan strang"Isn't the song going to be 'Father & Son' - with Yusuf playing the father and Ronan playing the son. Or was that just press speculation.
Yes. No. (Keating was on Johnny Walker t'other day. Says he's going to do more Country songs from now on. Joy.)

Uncle_Z

Last Yusufterview I heard he was mad keen on avoiding instruments of any kind since they are religiously wrong.  Or it might just have been about enjoying the purity of a capella... a mosqua.  Feh.