Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I think I now officially hate Robert De Niro.

Started by Glebe, November 20, 2015, 01:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

The Filthy Red-Band Dirty Grandpa Trailer Is Starting To Win Us Over.

Well it certainly hasn't won me over. He's not the first acting legend to make a twit out of himself for a quick buck and it's certainly not the first time he's done it, but talk about hitting a nadir. Okay, so obviously I haven't seen the actual movie yet, but the fact that the contents of that trailer are in it is enough. No amount of Taxi Drivers or Raging Bulls can make up this kind of dumb, cynical, populist, trashy garbage.

Spoiler alert
"I'd rather let Queen Latifah shit in my mouth from a fucking hot air balloon."
[close]

The human race is OFFICIALLY FUCKED.

Noodle Lizard

I just saw this as well.  It will be the best film.

up_the_hampipe

The movie will mostly be forgotten, but there will be countless slow motion GIFs of Aubrey Plaza.

newbridge

Quote from: Glebe on November 20, 2015, 01:33:07 AM
He's not the first acting legend to make a twit out of himself for a quick buck and it's certainly not the first time he's done it, but talk about hitting a nadir. Okay, so obviously I haven't seen the actual movie yet, but the fact that the contents of that trailer are in it is enough. No amount of Taxi Drivers or Raging Bulls can make up this kind of dumb, cynical, populist, trashy garbage.

Hold on. Zac Efron is objectively an amazing actor and comedian, but I think "legend" is a little ambitious at this point. Only because he's still young.

Steven

I doubt this could eclipse his amazing performance in The Intern, ha ha, he's an intern but he's old, get it? Christ Bob. What the fuck happened to you, man? Your ass used to beautiful.

Glebe

Quote from: newbridge on November 20, 2015, 01:44:56 AMHold on. Zac Efron is objectively an amazing actor and comedian, but I think "legend" is a little ambitious at this point. Only because he's still young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU

newbridge

Quote from: Glebe on November 20, 2015, 01:55:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU

I was just kidding, obviously. I do think you're being a little harsh on casetteboy though. "Gettin' Piggy With It" was fantastic.

Famous Mortimer

De Niro has been making shitty "comedy" films for decades. Remember 1989's "We're No Angels"? It's good that you don't, because it was terrible.

billtheburger

What's the film where a woman sits between DeNiro & Gerard Depardieu holding their todgers?

great_badir

Quote from: billtheburger on November 20, 2015, 08:19:59 AM
What's the film where a woman sits between DeNiro & Gerard Depardieu holding their todgers?

Bertolucci's 1900.  Actually good.

BlodwynPig

Blodwyn's Review 2015: Dirty Grandpa is an appalling, crude and unfunny movie. 0 stars.

Onken

Midnight Run is a good film. I won't have anything bad said about it.

I might watch it now.

great_badir

Quote from: Onken on November 20, 2015, 08:27:31 AM

I don't think anyone has, have they?

Onken

great_badir

But that IS true for the most part.

I doubt Mortimer is including Midnight Run in that.

Panbaams

great_badir

I don't know - how do bad films stop good films being good?

Mini

It is remarkable how his name has gone from being a mark of quality to a warning to avoid a film at all costs.

Midnight Run is great though.

billtheburger

Quote from: Panbaams on November 20, 2015, 09:15:51 AM
How do bad films stop good films being good?
I suppose umpteen sequels to a great film can sour the original.

Brundle-Fly

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Onken on November 20, 2015, 08:27:31 AM

I might watch it now.
I was aiming more just for "We're No Angels", making a light-hearted point about his occasionally ropey choices. He's also made lots of very good comedy films, "Midnight Run" included.

great_badir

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 20, 2015, 11:07:05 AM
I was aiming more just for "We're No Angels", making a light-hearted point about his occasionally ropey choices. He's also made lots of very good comedy films, "Midnight Run" included.

See, I've now gone right from defending you to "woooooaaaahhhh, don't go too far!"

Noodle Lizard

I don't have anything against "serious actors" doing comedy films at all (I'd even argue some hit their stride by doing so), but De Niro's probably the worst offender as far as not even trying to do anything good anymore goes.  And yeah, I do have a right to complain about what he chooses to do with his career, because whether he wants to believe it or not, a lot of people have invested a lot into him as a proper actor and doing the kind of shit he's been doing for the last 15-20 years is willfully shitting all over that just so he can make more millions.

"Ohh but he's just having fun at this point in his career, what's wrong with that?"  What's wrong with it is that he's a public figure who relies on the public's money to live his ridiculously luxurious lifestyle, and he clearly doesn't give a fuck about them.  He doesn't give a fuck that a kid might have watched Taxi Driver and, for the first time, realised how important the actor is in making a character come to life, he doesn't give a fuck that another kid's outlook on film or even art in general might have been changed entirely by watching Once Upon A Time In America.  He doesn't give a fuck that anyone might have invested emotionally in him as a performer, as an artist - he just wants money.  Fuck Robert De Niro.

I am drunk, yes, why'dya ask?

zomgmouse

This is literally the poster for this. How bloody dare they. It doesn't even make sense.

IS ROBERT DE NIRO SEDUCING ZAC EFRON? WHY IS HE PUTTING ON SOCKS? IS THIS FILM SECRETLY INCESTUOUS? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Crabwalk

Why that's inherently worrying, I've no idea. Unless it's genuinely a show put on to seduce his grandson. Is that what it's getting at?

By the way, this thread is causing this to play on a loop inside my head.

Petey Pate

Is it not just a parody of the poster of The Graduate?  Fitting considering that Dustin Hoffman's reputation has gone down the toilet along with DeNiro's.

mrfridge

checkoutgirl

I'd love to hate Robert DeNiro, what a classy person to hate. All I hate is cunts like Piers Morgan and Idi Amin, proper terroristic cunts. I can't even imagine having the time to hate Robert DeNiro as well, it would seem like a real luxury to hate someone that harmless who has actually done some great work at some point. And who actually manages to keep some of his private life private despite a high profile.