Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I think I now officially hate Robert De Niro.

Started by Glebe, November 20, 2015, 01:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 20, 2015, 12:48:54 PM
Is it not just a parody of the poster of The Graduate?  Fitting considering that Dustin Hoffman's reputation has gone down the toilet along with DeNiro's.

Has Hoffman's? He only does about a 20th of the shit DeNiro does, mainly minor roles in small films, voice work and a bit of tv.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotea lot of people have invested a lot into him as a proper actor

That's a narcissistic and pathetically entitled statement.

De Niro owes none of us anything and none of the shit he has done, is doing or will do in the future has any bearing on his good performances in good films. These are individual works of art and individual performances. I don't find The Scream any less enjoyable as a work of art because later on Edward Munch did a crude scribbling of a cock as he died in hospital.

That doesn't mean I approve of the shit stuff, nor does it make it any less disappointing that he doesn't even feel like making an effort. In terms of adding anything new to cinema as a performer, I think De Niro is spent.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Petey Pate on November 20, 2015, 12:48:54 PM
Is it not just a parody of the poster of The Graduate?  Fitting considering that Dustin Hoffman's reputation has gone down the toilet along with DeNiro's.

Yes, it's a parody of the Graduate of course, but why choose that? If it was Hoffman's leg it would work (with a different tagline). But this is just completely pointless unless De Niro
Spoiler alert
fucks his grandson
[close]
in the film. Spoiler tagged just in case that's what happens.

At least it's not the usual 'two heads next to each other, pulling smarmy or shocked faces' I suppose.

chand

Quote from: mrfridge on November 20, 2015, 12:58:27 PM
Yes but Aubrey Plaza's arse.

Is this in the film?

Anyway, I'm sort of surprised that De Niro seems to only do daft comedy films these days. I understand padding out the time between big serious roles with some of these, but I kind of expected him to take on the odd role that would excite the critics and get an Oscar buzz going again. Maybe he doesn't get offered interesting drama roles any more.

great_badir

Whilst I agree that pretty much all the films he's in now are shit, he's probably just doing it to take the coin.  And who can blame him - he did very demanding roles, changed himself physically and mentally and devoted months or even years at a time for a single role for 25-odd years and has behind him a not modest catalogue of impressive work for the rest of us to watch for little or nothing.

So let him relax and have a bit of fun on set.

Just think of all comedy roles as him in the character of Rupert Pupkin from The King of Comedy,.

mrfridge

Quote from: chand on November 20, 2015, 01:25:57 PM
Is this in the film?

About 36 seconds in. Not that I've checked several times or anything.

Glebe

De Niro was probably at his funniest in Jackie Brown, which he's great in... Meet the Parents was okay but since then it seems like he's spent most of his time making an endless shit-load of bland, lowest common denominator tat (and even Scorsese somehow got roped in alongside him on Shark Tale!). There was an interview a few years back where he pretty much admitted he was doing a lot of paycheck movies because of a massively-expensive ex-wife thing or something... it's seems the richer you get, the more money you need.

El Unicornio, mang

It must be harder to get good roles after the age of about 55. I'm struggling to think of many great films of recent times where the lead was past middle age. People complain about not enough good roles for black people, but it's that way for anyone who isn't attractive, white (or not too dark skinned) and young. I'm pretty sure Warwick Davis wasn't a contender for lead role in Silver Linings Playbook, or Rebel Wilson for the role Jennifer Lawrence got. De Niro should do what Clint Eastwood does (and what he did back when he made A Bronx Tale) and make his own good films with him in them.

Also, I'm not sure if this was him, bit sad if so (been removed but here's the cache of it)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:c5WWfbY09h0J:https://www.facebook.com/Robert-De-Nir%25D0%25BE-860554710730144/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"My daughter told me that there is no actor these days that doesn't have at least 100,000 fans Facebook page, and I should open one despite my old age.
Well, yesterday I finally opened an account.. I'm new to Facebook so if you know me, help me feel respected and appreciated as I used to in the past. I want to reach that target."

Talulah, really!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 20, 2015, 06:51:43 PM
It must be harder to get good roles after the age of about 55. I'm struggling to think of many great films of recent times where the lead was past middle age.

Yeah, I didn't think Birdman was all that either! And you never see that nice Mr. Hanks in anything nowadays.

And this year's female actor award went to Julianne Moore who is 54 which is 3576 in male actor years.

newbridge

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 20, 2015, 06:51:43 PM
It must be harder to get good roles after the age of about 55.

I highly doubt Robert De Niro has any trouble getting cast in things.

He makes these garbage movies because it requires absolutely zero effort so he can just dick around on the set with his pals and get a huge pay day. It's a less entrepreneurial version of the Adam Sandler technique.

BritishHobo

This looks like one of those films where I'm going to end up sympathising totally with the horrible buzzkill wife.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 20, 2015, 01:11:47 PM
That's a narcissistic and pathetically entitled statement.

You're probably right, I was drunk and just splurged whatever came to mind.  I didn't really have any reason to get so worked up about it.

EDIT:  Oh wait yes I did, goddammit. The bastard!

The Duck Man

There's been suggestion for quite a while that Scorcese is going to reunite De Niro and Pacino in a crime drama called The Irishman, along with (according to IMDb) Keitel, Pesci and Bobby Cannavale. Nothing solid though.

Steven

Quote from: The Duck Man on November 22, 2015, 11:57:59 PM
There's been suggestion for quite a while that Scorcese is going to reunite De Niro and Pacino in a crime drama called The Irishman, along with (according to IMDb) Keitel, Pesci and Bobby Cannavale. Nothing solid though.

Let's hope it's set in Morrison's bogs, eh?

Glebe

The Irishman is most definitely in the works, I think it's possible it could be Scorsese's next movie after his forthcoming Silence. Not sure if Keitel is mooted for it, though.

Sal Vicuso

I don't know if it has a second title, but last I heard Scorcese and De Niro were doing I heard you paint houses which is the autobiography of the prolific hitman who claimed he killed Jimmy Hoffa

BlodwynPig

That bit in the trailer for his new film - The Macarena bit - the bit where Efron says "I smoked crack!"...has US cinema ever got hedonism right?

US hedonism seems to involve cheesy "dance" or "pop" music being played in a gaudy setting (nightclub, beach party), synchronised plastic dancing, reference to drug taking/drug taking in which the participants don't seem to have taken anything stronger than Lilt, some fat guy coming into shot shouting "woooooooo" before falling into a pool, spray cream, a horde of bland beach-ready bodies that would fail to raise the pecker of the most testosterone fuelled non-american.

Shameful.

checkoutgirl

Can't stand Robert De Niro. The other day right, I was having some cornflakes right, and who pops up interrupting me and getting in the way? It was only Robert De Niro. So I was like "Hey, Robert De Niro, piss off like. I'm havin' me cornflakes". Luckily he got the message and left me to it. But then the other day right, I'm queuing to get tickets for the new James Pond film and who gets in my way asking loads of questions? Yep, you guessed it, it was bloody Robert De Niro again. I had to go home and just cry instead. I was looking forward to that film too.

Don't get me started about Robert De Niro.

Steven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 23, 2015, 09:12:00 AM
Can't stand Robert De Niro. The other day right, I was having some cornflakes right, and who pops up interrupting me and getting in the way? It was only Robert De Niro. So I was like "Hey, Robert De Niro, piss off like. I'm havin' me cornflakes". Luckily he got the message and left me to it. But then the other day right, I'm queuing to get tickets for the new James Pond film and who gets in my way asking loads of questions? Yep, you guessed it, it was bloody Robert De Niro again. I had to go home and just cry instead. I was looking forward to that film too.

biggytitbo

Yet again Steven has to hammer the joke home.

Steven

biggytitbo

I don't assume other people or even the person doing the joke doesn't get their own joke.

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 23, 2015, 10:27:42 AM
I don't assume other people or even the person doing the joke doesn't get their own joke.

Mmmm..

biggytitbo

Fair cop, although as I clearly don't keep the same detailed files as you I'm not going to post all of your examples, but you've done this exact thing to me on more than one occasion in the last few weeks.

checkoutgirl

I'm just so utterly sick of Robert De Niro. When will others acknowledge my pain? There he is again, at the bottom of my garden wearing a mac and following people up ladders making them all nervous like. I'm going to have to outside and tell him his presence is unwanted at best.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 23, 2015, 11:37:14 AM
I'm just so utterly sick of Robert De Niro. When will others acknowledge my pain? There he is again, at the bottom of my garden wearing a mac and following people up ladders making them all nervous like. I'm going to have to outside and tell him his presence is unwanted at best.

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 23, 2015, 11:32:52 AM
Fair cop, although as I clearly don't keep the same detailed files as you I'm not going to post all of your examples, but you've done this exact thing to me on more than one occasion in the last few weeks.

I believe that was pasting in Jed's painting from I'm Alan Partridge. But all you did was paste in an awful painting and appropriate the same quote, which I didn't really quite get as a joke, a reference maybe. So I was just adding on to the reference, same as I did with checkout girl's thing above.

checkoutgirl

Just watched Silver Linings Playbook (2012) which I thoroughly enjoyed and had a fairly prominent role ably played by De Niro. So that's the matter closed as far as I'm concerned and I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about De Niro not being just great.