Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I think I now officially hate Robert De Niro.

Started by Glebe, November 20, 2015, 01:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 26, 2015, 08:27:53 PMJust watched Silver Linings Playbook (2012) which I thoroughly enjoyed and had a fairly prominent role ably played by De Niro. So that's the matter closed as far as I'm concerned and I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about De Niro not being just great.

Ah, right, fair enough checkout, he was actually fine in that. But by cracky, the amount of apparent cack he's produced in recent years is just phenomenal.

Phil_A

That bit in Stardust where De Niro's character puts a dress on and and prances about to the Can Can - that was pretty embarrassing. I almost felt bad on his behalf, if it hadn't been painfully obvious that the desire for a paycheck had overridden the need for dignity in Bobby's mind.

This has been linked before - Bob and Al Pacino doing an amazingly dull interview to promote "Righteous Kill", genuinely excruciating. At one point De Niro just repeats an answer Pacino gave almost verbatim because he can't think of anything else to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDvZ3KiEBM

Steven

Ha ha, I love that. THERE ARE BIRDS NESTING IN MY HAIR!

I LOOK UP TO MY KIDS, LITERALLY!

Whenever Ant and Jim get on a Pacino thing is always hilarious, MAH WIGS AND MAH LIFTTTSS!! Haahaaaa. LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH, TOUCH BUT DON'T TASTE! I'M A FAAAAAN OF MAAAAN!

Them trolling Scarface is a thing of beauty.

Blue Jam

Have we already had a thread like this one, but about Johnny Depp? He's certainly deserving of a "why did you used to interesting films but now do shit films?" thread.

My boss, who is a very clever man, loves the Pirates of the Caribbean films. He actually seriously, genuinely loves them and thinks they're very good. I really can't get my head round that.

Glebe

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 26, 2015, 11:33:55 PMHave we already had a thread like this one, but about Johnny Depp? He's certainly deserving of a "why did you used to interesting films but now do shit films?" thread.

My boss, who is a very clever man, loves the Pirates of the Caribbean films. He actually seriously, genuinely loves them and thinks they're very good. I really can't get my head round that.

I used to think of Johnny Depp as a smart, interesting star, a cut above the usually Hollywood tosser. But his subsequent bland career moves and general pretentious, twatty behavior has really put me off. No, I don't want another Jerry Bruckheimer movie, no, I don't want you dressing up wacky for Tim Burton's latest, no, I don't want to see you posing with a gun whilst reading Hunter S. Thompson, no, I don't want to see you with your tattoos and jewelry posing in a B&W perfume ad. Fuck off.

Mate.

Steven

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 26, 2015, 11:33:55 PM

Maybe he has kids? Shuts them up for an hour and a half a time. I'd love Depp too.

great_badir

Quote from: Phil_A on November 26, 2015, 11:00:49 PM
This has been linked before - Bob and Al Pacino doing an amazingly dull interview to promote "Righteous Kill", genuinely excruciating. At one point De Niro just repeats an answer Pacino gave almost verbatim because he can't think of anything else to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDvZ3KiEBM

I've written about this in more detail in other threads before, but a mate of mine was a freelance film journo in the States (he would cover new productions and interview actors and directors for the likes of Premiere and Sight and Sound) in the 90s, and he has interviewed both De Niro and Pacino (albeit separately for different films - Analyze This and Any Given Sunday respectively, if memory serves).  De Niro's always had a reputation as being a difficult interview subject, but my mate thought he was fine, just a bit professionally aloof (Harrison Ford very much the same) in a way which suggests he wants to keep his private personality as a separate and different thing from his showbiz personality.  Pacino he found to be more engaging and more personable.

But I still think De Niro (well, and Pacino for that matter - he's been in a lot of shit too) gets a pass at life.  You don't HAVE to watch his shit films.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Steven on November 27, 2015, 05:24:42 AM
Maybe he has kids? Shuts them up for an hour and a half a time. I'd love Depp too.

An hour and a half? You've obviously never sat through the full 169 minute running time of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End from 2007. I have. At least 3 times. You might ask why but it was a difficult time in my life that I don't want to revisit.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: great_badir on November 27, 2015, 07:41:41 AM
You don't HAVE to watch his shit films.

Yes you do. You have to watch all of his shitty films and then hate him. Have you not been paying attention?

checkoutgirl

To be serious though that's a decent point. You don't have to watch any films under 99% on Rotten Tomatoes or even any films at all. And what with the internets and the sheer amount of new films coming out coupled with the fact that you can now download pretty much any film ever made, hunting down De Niro's worst output (most of it to be fair) and watching it, getting angry and declaring hatred for De Niro seems a bit odd.

Blue Jam

Depp turned down crappy big budget Hollywood films when he could have done with the money and the exposure, banging on about how he didn't want to get typecast as a heartthrob romcom lead. Now he's a household name and a millionaire he's just gone "fuck it" and started accepting parts in crap like The Lone Ranger and a series of films based on a theme park ride? Mate.

Quote from: Steven on November 27, 2015, 05:24:42 AM

His kids are grown up and have left home- nope, he genuinely thinks the films have artistic merit and he even has favourite quotes from them.

Mate.

greenman

Honestly I De Niros career shift has been so extreme its had the opposite effect for me, the break with the past was so total that its as if he changed career rather than just following his old successes with ever diminishing returns as Depp has.

Looking back actually I'm not even sure I'v seen a single De Niro film released this millennium.

Ringside

God that looks so bad.

I remember one time, accidentally stumbling across a white power forum (odd wording, I know), and some of the users were enraged that this man was married to a black lady. Someone labeled him "Robert De Negro", which has always tickled me in it's childishness.

Mr_Simnock

Quote"I'd rather let Queen Latifah shit in my mouth from a fucking hot air balloon."

If Queen Latifa turned up at my front door looking this I'd eat her poo with joy.

Blumf

Quote from: Ringside on December 26, 2015, 03:56:33 PM
I remember one time, accidentally stumbling across a white power forum (odd wording, I know), and some of the users were enraged that this man was married to a black lady.

Huh, didn't know that, but looking it up he's done it twice an all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diahnne_Abbott

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hightower

Glebe

Steven

Ha ha, the petrol pump make it look like old Bobby has a semi!

Reckon Hollywood should drag him back behind a huge set of a barn and shoot him at close quarters with a blank like Brandon Lee.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on January 04, 2016, 03:20:03 PM

Life is now officially meaningless.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAHAHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gulftastic

The tagline alone makes me want to hurt someone. He's reduced to making the sort of film that my teenage self would consider in the video shop in the hope it had lots of naked lasses in it.

BritishHobo

Glebe

War, famine, pestilence, death... Dirty Grandpa.

Dirty Grandpa.

Glebe

Steven

HBO are screening The Godfather Epic featuring parts 1 and 2 chronologically re-cut with missing footage.