Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain America: Civil War

Started by Urinal Cake, November 25, 2015, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Age of Ultron was pretty drab but the first Avengers has a lot of strong colour in it rather than just drowning everything in a blue filter.

It's still pretty flat looking sometimes, probably a side-effect of heavy green-screen work.

Glebe

I reckon they've being doing it to make the film's have more of a Dark Knight 'seriousness to 'em.

The Awesome Gift Disney Gave Stan Lee For His 75th Anniversary At Marvel.

It's to small to see, ffs.

selsdon man

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 17, 2016, 01:57:52 PM
Why Do Marvel's Movies Look Kind of Ugly?

It's the money colour grading. The real question is why have they chosen to do this? I've found that you can improve things greatly by just increasing the contrast and saturation on the telly.

Is it to do with 3D? Like having to make the 2D version look as drab and shitty as it does through 3D glasses.

Film review: bits with jokes were good (I liked Spider--man and his sexy aunt*). Bits without jokes were dreary (like Homeland at its "with added teen angst" worst). Iron Man makes no sense characterwise and may as well have had a "compassion" switch on the back of his suit.

*EDIT: and ant.

Glebe

Angela Bassett Boards Marvel's "Black Panther".

That's good news. Bassett was terrific as Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do with It?

Kelvin

Quote from: selsdon man on November 18, 2016, 01:54:49 PM
Is it to do with 3D? Like having to make the 2D version look as drab and shitty as it does through 3D glasses.

It's just an aesthetic choice, I think. As someone suggested upthread, it's probably to ground the films a bit. But it also probably makes them cheaper to film and easier to match up, visually, with the other films.

I watched Xmen Apocalypse again on DVD a few days ago, and regardless fo what you think of that film's script/story, on a visual level it's light years ahead of every Marvel movie ever made. Putting aside the excellent direction, every scene is lit differently, or designed around a different colour, and every colour pops, by framing it against other, contrasting colours. I said it at the time, but visually, X-Men Apocalypse is the best looking action film since Mad Max: Fury Road. It's absolutely gorgeous at times.

samadriel

Edit: sowwy, already been posted.

Glebe

Glebe

SavageHedgehog

Finally the Spider-Man film we've all been waiting for; one where he spends the whole film wanting to join a team, talks like a sitcom character, faces an underdeveloped villain and is overshadowed by a more successful on screen character!

Just kidding. Well, not really, but it still looks alright.

Glebe

Glebe

Action...Avengers: Infinity War.

Amazing to think that Marvel have spent a decade building up to this.

Glebe

Glebe

madhair60

Glebe