Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain America: Civil War

Started by Urinal Cake, November 25, 2015, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Why is Spiderman now a young child? And why is this not called The Avengers 3?

Obel

Time to stop watching the trailers of this I think.

Really anxious about Spiderman fucking the tone of this all up.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 10, 2016, 07:00:37 PM

Spiderman is young because he's meant to be young. Should definitely be called Avengers 3, but maybe the logic is that since the Avengers are fractured and fighting against each other it's not really an "Avengers" film?

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Region Legion on March 10, 2016, 08:03:55 PM
Spiderman is young because he's meant to be young. Should definitely be called Avengers 3, but maybe the logic is that since the Avengers are fractured and fighting against each other it's not really an "Avengers" film?

Probably a combination of timing of the big releases. And probably wanting to de-emphasise the Avengers bit of the franchise - because it risks stinking up the whole thing if they go wrong a la Rise of Ultron and they're probably a massive pain just from a cast point of view. And from a film making perspective, the Avenegers films are a bugger cos they have far too many characters in.

Basically saying the idea that it's for any thematic reason is shit. Especially as the first Avengers film had them all fighting each other as part of it.

Key

I think years ago the original plan was to use the Civil War storyline for a future Avengers film, but then when Guardians of the Galaxy did so well at the box office, they pushed everything back a bit and decided to do the Infinity War for Avengers 3 for the crossover potential.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 10, 2016, 07:00:37 PM

He's was portrayed as a high-schooler in the previous two franchises, this time he's played by someone age appropriate instead of a 30 year old.

Also I think this will focus a lot more on Cap and Bucky than people realise.

Glebe

Quote from: Obel on March 10, 2016, 07:59:38 PMReally anxious about Spiderman fucking the tone of this all up.

Yeah, all the heavy dramatics, then it's like, "Ooh look, it's Spider-Man!"

Spiteface

I LOVE how old-school and cartoony Spider-Man looks in the new trailer.

I want a sequel where Iron Man builds a load of suits that combine into a giant robot, Voltron-style, and Spidey fights said robot with Leopardon.

brat-sampson

Kinda have to agree with the sarcastic 'Finally, a movie where some of the Avengers fight each other!' response, but whatever, it looks more than fun enough to watch, even if it's basically re-hashed themes from the last few years worth of Captain Stark Adventures.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Obel on March 10, 2016, 07:59:38 PM
Really anxious about Spiderman fucking the tone of this all up.
... Because this series of films is renowned for being grim and gritty?

Mango Chimes

Good news on Spidey's eyes being able to change. Hope they can do more than just close the aperture a bit.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 11, 2016, 02:31:16 PM
Good news on Spidey's eyes being able to change. Hope they can do more than just close the aperture a bit.

I thought that would look better than it did in the trailer, actually. In particular, it was a bit weird hearing the mechanical whirring when they changed shape. Hope that doesn't happen all the time and it's just something they did to show they have an in universe explanation.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2016, 02:23:19 PM
... Because this series of films is renowned for being grim and gritty?

Well, The Winter Soldier was a bit grim, with it's 70s paranoia overtones, and this Civil War thread seems to be chaining onto that.

I think the Spiderman intro in the trailer was just a bit of "Hey, (adult) kids! We got Spidey back!" fan service and won't reflect on the finished product. If you read the source material, Spiderman has a fairly important role, not that the film will (can) be 100% to that, but the fans will be on it.

Quote from: Blumf on March 11, 2016, 02:41:12 PM
Well, The Winter Soldier was a bit grim, with it's 70s paranoia overtones, and this Civil War thread seems to be chaining onto that.
A bit grim, yes, but even that wasn't humourless. Besides, this one has Robert Downey Jr., so quips are inevitable. Even in that brief scene with Spidey, the only bit played for outright laughs was Stark calling him "Underoos".

Urinal Cake

I liked the callback to, 'I can do this all day'.

Spider-Man, I guess is goofy to Iron Man's snarky. So that team doesn't seem like total cunts.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2016, 02:53:43 PM
Stark calling him "Underoos".

THANK YOU! I've been trying to decipher what he said since the trailer launched.
Ontharoof? Anderos?

kidsick5000

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2016, 02:53:43 PMEven in that brief scene with Spidey, the only bit played for outright laughs was Stark calling him "Underoos".

Ah, cheers... now this makes more sense.

Sebastian Stan Says Watching 'Captain America: Civil War' Left Him Speechless.

Quote"I sat there and basically there was a bowl of candy and fruit and gum in front of me and then there were sparkling waters and I basically sat on the edge of my couch the entire time and ate through the entire bowl of candy. I was overly stimulated with this movie, which I'm so proud to be in because everyone is fucking awesome in it. Everyone is fucking fantastic. I walked out of it speechless, and I worked on the movie and I was there! I walked out of there and I had back pain from leaning."

Er... wow.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Blumf on March 11, 2016, 02:41:12 PM

I think the Spiderman intro in the trailer was just a bit of "Hey, (adult) kids! We got Spidey back!" fan service and won't reflect on the finished product. If you read the source material, Spiderman has a fairly important role, not that the film will (can) be 100% to that, but the fans will be on it.

Winter Soldier did have a cassette-driven Nazi scientist computer and Cap's "to do list" among other things.

That was just the trailer. Am I missing something?

It seems unlikely given the hype train that precedes these films, but I wonder if (comics spoiler)
Spoiler alert
the Thor clone
[close]
will make a surprise appearance at any point.

B Piper@The Gates Of Dawn

Why didn't they just call it Civil War?

The Roofdog

Captain America v Iron Man: Dusk Of Civility

Blumf

The Avengers VI : Dawn of Slap Fight

Thor V : Infinity Flounce

Glebe

Coupla tings:

Russo Brothers Talk 'Captain America: Civil War', Their Plans for Spider-Man And Post-Credits Scenes.

Jeremy Renner Open to a Hawkeye Netflix Series.

Quote"I think that's actually a really great model, if there's ever a way to explore the character, maybe it's in that world. These are things that are really not in my control, but I'd be open to it. I've really enjoyed getting to explore the character more recently. The Netflix model is where all the character drama goes to now, you're doing a superhero movie or a Netflix or HBO kind of model. So I'd be open to it. Not up to me, though."

brat-sampson

Actor Willing to Act on Request.

Spiteface

Do people actually like Hawkeye[nb]In the films I mean. I understand he has a bit of a fanbase where his comics are concerned[/nb], or was Joss Whedon trying to force the guy down everyone's throats in the Avengers films?

Tiny Poster

How was he forced down people's throats in Avengers Assemble? His increased presence in the sequel is a corrective to this, but he's also utilised in it as the relatable audience surrogate, along with a subversion of the "more screen time and stakes for this character? They gonna die" trope.

He's no more forced down anyone's throats than any of the other characters.

kngen

I think the producers don't like Hawkeye, as he barely got a chance to establish himself in AA before turning heel, and his whole thing with Quicksilver in AoU was very slight, which, as was suggested on here, felt like a lot of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. I like him, and Jeremy Renner as him. Would rather see a Punisher series first though -but I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement .