Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gremlins 3 actually happening, apparently.

Started by Glebe, November 28, 2015, 02:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Gremlins 3, IS happening and it's not a reboot or a remake.

QuoteThere will be a third Gremlins movie and according to its star Zach Galligan, it won't be a reboot or a remake, but an actual sequel. Seriously.

Speaking to a thrilled audience during a recent screening of the 1984 original at London's Prince Charles Cinema, Galligan said: "It's not going to be a reboot. It will not be a remake in any way, shape, or form." The star was adamant that the Chris Columbus-penned classic would never be remade, if he had anything to do with it: "Chris Columbus has come out and said that the first film is very near and dear to his heart and as long as he is alive it will never be remade."

While a remake could prove to be a hit, it's unlikely to sit well with fans and it'd be unlikely to attract a new generation to buy into the wacky nature of the first and especially the sequel. "So the only thing they will be - and apparently are going to be – doing is something along the lines of like Jurassic World, where it will be 30 years later," claims the actor. This decision could be really interesting but we hope Gizmo is included - in some shape or form, at least - and isn't just about a new batch, so to speak.

But would Billy return to the insane world of Gremlins? Even Galligan himself isn't sure what's going on yet. "I swear on my life, I don't know if I'm in it or not, but I think there is probably a decent chance since I'm one of the few people left standing from the first movie." We're keeping a close eye on this one with fingers tightly crossed we get to see Billy and (potentially) Gizmo reunited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-ZMqjhZR4

A reboot had been mooted for some time, it's interesting that they're actually going for a sequel in the age of the remake, although as mentioned above, there's the recent Jurassic World, which was huge financial success and has kind of paved the way for it. I was obsessed with the original, which was a massive part of my childhood (and the sequel, which I saw with a mate on release in a packed cinema, standing at the back we still had a great time), remember rewatching my old taped-off-UTV video over and over.

A remake would have had potential to be interesting, but of course would inevitably be shit; hopefully they'll get the original team back together for this, although I don't see Joe Dante directing (he only did The New Batch on the condition that Warner Bros. would let him do whatever he wanted, and packed as much as possible in because he didn't want to do another sequel). Galligan mentions above that he has no idea if he'll be involved, although I'd be surprised if he didn't return, being such as champion of the film over the years (he suggested before that he could cameo in a reboot, perhaps as the teacher or someone). Hoyt Axton is long gone and Phoebe Cates (whose married to Kevin Kline, doncha know) has long since retired from acting... both the wonderful Dick Miller and Jackie Joseph are currently still with us. Anyway, fingers crossed.

Famous Mortimer

I'd imagine Joe Dante's opinion has changed a bit in recent years, given he's now directing TV. If they offered it to him I don't see him saying no.

While I loved the first two movies, is there anything left to do, though?

SavageHedgehog

I would wait until someone other than Zach Galligan confirms it to be honest.

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2015, 07:33:12 AMI'd imagine Joe Dante's opinion has changed a bit in recent years, given he's now directing TV. If they offered it to him I don't see him saying no.

Actually yes, true enough. He hasn't had a hit in years.

Noodle Lizard

Replies From View

Should shift a few more Furbies off the Argos shelves.

steveh

Joe Dante's career post Gremlins 2 has rarely seemed to hit the peaks it should have. What happened? He's done some brilliant work and in interviews he always seems such a smart, warm and funny guy too.

Shaky

Both Gremlins films are fucking brilliant and I would absolutely love to see a third one involving Dante, some of the original lot and, most importantly, a non-CGI Gizmo, but I think I have to err on the negative side here. It's gonna be a sparkly reboot if it's anything.

Plus Phoebe Cates no longer acts! Argh! Glebe mentioned this but it bears repeating. No Phoebe Cates!

Kane Jones

Quote from: Shaky on November 28, 2015, 12:40:38 PM
Plus Phoebe Cates no longer acts! Argh! Glebe mentioned this but it bears repeating. No Phoebe Cates!

The only appropriate a time to post some pop punk from 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvXcU6UhDM

Quote from: steveh on November 28, 2015, 11:27:00 AM
Joe Dante's career post Gremlins 2 has rarely seemed to hit the peaks it should have. What happened?

Pretty sure The Looney Tunes Movie ended his studio career, which is a shame because he was a director for hire and came into it very late, so I don't know how much of it can be blamed on him.

I'll be excited if someone like Edgar Wright gets to do this, since he'd get the right tone (and Dante himself would undoubtedly approve).

Shaky

Quote from: Kane Jones on November 28, 2015, 12:54:12 PM
The only appropriate a time to post some pop punk from 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvXcU6UhDM

Awful music, surprisingly salient lyrics:

I used to like tossing off to her pool scene

Replies From View

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on November 28, 2015, 01:17:19 PM
I'll be excited if someone like Edgar Wright gets to do this, since he'd get the right tone (and Dante himself would undoubtedly approve).

As long as he casts Simon Pegg as one of the Mogwai.

When I was in NYC I actually visited Clamp Tower where they shot the second one.

alan nagsworth

I mean if they say they're doing it for the fans and not a new generation and then the trailer comes out and the gremlins are CGI and they're listening to breakcore and doing ketamine and pranking Gizmo on youtube then they can fuck off.

Steven

Joe Dante Talks GREMLINS Reboot.

EDIT. More like some twats show a quote by Joe Dante then prattle on with a load of bollocks.

I love both Gremlins films, The 'burbs and Matinee. Is there any other Dante work I should check out?

Glebe

Quote from: Shaky on November 28, 2015, 12:40:38 PMmost importantly, a non-CGI Gizmo

Well Dante has previously voiced concerns about a reboot having CGI gremlins. Stan Winston showed that you could do some fantastic things with practical effects in the age of GG. Obviously any modern genre movie is gonna feature a little CGI here and there, though.

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on November 28, 2015, 01:12:16 PMPretty sure The Looney Tunes Movie ended his studio career, which is a shame because he was a director for hire and came into it very late, so I don't know how much of it can be blamed on him.

You know what, I forgot he directed that. Probably thought they were on to a sure thing because of the popularity of Space Jam.

Quote from: Steven on November 28, 2015, 09:24:36 PMJoe Dante Talks GREMLINS Reboot.

That's an interesting one, about Warners and Amblin sharing the rights. Spielberg apparently toned down a lot of the nastier stuff in the original Gremlins script. Originally Gizmo was meant to turn into Stripe, although to be honest Giz is such a great little character I'm glad they didn't go that route.

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 28, 2015, 10:09:44 PMI love both Gremlins films, The 'burbs and Matinee. Is there any other Dante work I should check out?

The 'Burbs is good fun, if memory serves. Still haven't seen Matinee, which is apparently a tribute to B-movie director William Castle. There's Piranha and The Howling of course, and Dante's post-Gremlins family fare Explorers (his most personal film) and Innerspace, which features some (for the time) ground-breaking effects-work.

Quote from: Bored of Canada on November 28, 2015, 08:12:57 PMWhen I was in NYC I actually visited Clamp Tower where they shot the second one.

Daniel Clamp, yesterday.

Crabwalk

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 28, 2015, 10:09:44 PM
I love both Gremlins films, The 'burbs and Matinee. Is there any other Dante work I should check out?

Innerspace all the way. A brilliantly fun, madcap adventure, with career-best roles for Martin Short, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan, great supporting performances from Dante regulars like Kevin McCarthy, and, as Shakey mentions, astounding miniature and model work. I love that film.

His segment of The Twilight Zone: The Movie is the best, too. And not only because he didn't decapitate anyone making it. Though that is definitely in the 'pluses' column.

Vitalstatistix

I was at this event at Prince Charles and it honestly came across to me like some shit Galligan was making up to excite the audience. He obviously WANTS it to happen because he wants to be involved, but he offered fuck all detail. I'd be amazed if anything comes of it any time soon.

Even if it does happen, you can guarantee it'll be shit by the way, especially as Dante will obviously not be involved.

Galligan also told me that he much prefers the first one and New Batch is too zany for him so he is obviously a massive wanker.

Small Soldiers is great. I also have a fondness for some of his Roger Corman era work such as Hollywood Boulvard and the Joe Dante penned rock n roll High School.

Glebe

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 29, 2015, 07:54:39 PMHis segment of The Twilight Zone: The Movie is the best, too. And not only because he didn't decapitate anyone making it. Though that is definitely in the 'pluses' column.

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on November 30, 2015, 12:01:30 AMSmall Soldiers is great.

Bugger, I actually forgot about them two! Dante's Twilight Zone story features two great childhood scares,
Spoiler alert
the girl with no mouth and the monster rabbit suddenly popping out the hat
[close]
, and a wild and crazy Kevin McCarthy, natch. And as you say, Crabwalk, he managed to avoid killing three people making it. Unlike John Landis.

Not a huge fan of Small Soldiers, but it's good, clean fun with it's heart in the right place, with cameos from Dick Miller and Denis Leary, and the Spinal Tap guys as the voices of the good toys. Also like that
Spoiler alert
The Spice Girls are used as a weapon at one point
[close]

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on November 29, 2015, 09:46:12 PMGalligan also told me that he much prefers the first one and New Batch is too zany for him so he is obviously a massive wanker.

I agree with him to an extent... the first one has a special place in my heart, although The New Batch is fantastic fun as it's own thing, pretty much a total piss-take of the first movie and a kind of love-letter to cinema. And possibly the greatest meta in-joke movie ever, actually.

Brundle-Fly

I'm sure asked this same question in CaB years and years ago but have forgotten the answer (or it might have been a dream..blah blah..)

What was the film/ tv movie/ show where some Gremlins make a cameo appearance? A guy lifts up the bonnet hood of his car and they are inside monkeying around with the engine. It's really unexpected.

I've lightly Googled but nada.

Noodle Lizard

I'll vouch for Small Soldiers, I loved that when I was younger and I think there are some genuinely funny gags in there (though I imagine it's a bit dated now).  I thought his The Hole (not the one with Thora Birch) was decent as well in a kind of Goosebumpsy way.  Gets a bit daft towards the end, but other than that it's not bad[nb]also features a rare cameo from the great Dick Miller (aka Murray Futterman from Gremlins)[/nb].  I genuinely like him as a filmmaker, he seems very uncynical.

Noodle Lizard

Anyway, back to Gremlins 3, the bit where Gizmo's twerking to Skrillex is proper bantz.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Bored of Canada on November 28, 2015, 08:12:57 PM
When I was in NYC I actually visited Clamp Tower where they shot the second one.

Still can't believe you didn't invite me.  I was right there.  I could have been right there with you.

I could have been right there with you.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 30, 2015, 10:56:48 AMWhat was the film/ tv movie/ show where some Gremlins make a cameo appearance? A guy lifts up the bonnet hood of his car and they are inside monkeying around with the engine. It's really unexpected.

I remember someone telling me about was a sketch on '80s Tony Robinson/Rory McGrath C4 comedy show Who Dares Wins that had a gag with a newscaster apologizing for technical gremlins, then some gremlins pop or summit. Funnily enough, yonks and yonks ago I remember some newscaster saying 'Sorry about the gremlins' after a technical hitch. Fuck, the things the brain remembers.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Glebe on November 30, 2015, 11:36:33 AM
I remember someone telling me about was a sketch on '80s Tony Robinson/Rory McGrath C4 comedy show Who Dares Wins that had a gag with a newscaster apologizing for technical gremlins, then some gremlins pop or summit. Funnily enough, yonks and yonks ago I remember some newscaster saying 'Sorry about the gremlins' after a technical hitch. Fuck, the things the brain remembers.

My memory was definitely from a U.S. production.

Famous Mortimer

Replies From View

In Germlins 3 I hope they crack open the latest CD and play it.