Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gremlins 3 actually happening, apparently.

Started by Glebe, November 28, 2015, 02:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

The Bold Idea Gremlins 3 May Use To Spice Up The Franchise.

QuoteDo you know what a fractal is? A fractal is when you have one thing that's a piece, and when you put them together it makes an entire piece. So if you had a little baby pyramid and you put other pyramids together you'd make one big pyramid. So the gremlins [would] all mass together and form one huge gremlin. Kind of like a Godzilla-sized one that bursts out of London knocking over Big Ben and stuff like that."

Sounds fun, but it's funny that it's a Galligan idea, given how over the top it is - definitely a concept suited more to the anything-goes New Batch that the original.

There was a 30th anniversary 'Diamond Luxe' Blu-ray edition released last year, although apparently it's just he same old transfer as the first release, which is kind of unremarkable but is at least natural and clean looking and free of digital tampering. In the commentary, Joe Dante points out that weird zoomed-in shot on Billy and his dad on the stairs... apparently they filmed it with Barney the dog in shot, but of course he's over with the mogwais in that scene, so they had to fix it. Speaking of that commentary, it's great fun... Dante is joined by an enthusiastic Galligan, Cates, Miller and Howie 'Gizmo' Mandel,  who makes an uncomfortable 'dick' joke (in reference to Miller) at one point.

Read someone point out somewhere how it was a pity Warners didn't creates a special version for the New Batch 'breakdown scene' for the Blu-ray release, but then I suppose you wouldn't expect them to bother, really.

By the way, lest we forget Jerry Goldsmiths great score (the full soundtrack was on YouTube, but has been taken down, natch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIdPGNIyxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq3GHyKqXHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl0LuGWUt90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkzGf74MHhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEYCbamxIQ

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 01, 2015, 06:59:13 PM
I had no fucking idea that was him.

It was him in Little Monsters too.

Popcorn Classic?

Glebe

Replies From View

Glebe

^NASA hacker Gary McKinnon is looking well.

Glebe

Catalogue Trousers

Brundle-Fly - your fretting is over.

QuoteWhat was the film/ tv movie/ show where some Gremlins make a cameo appearance? A guy lifts up the bonnet hood of his car and they are inside monkeying around with the engine. It's really unexpected.

I've lightly Googled but nada.

Cast A Deadly Spell, 1991.

hewantstolurkatad

RE: Joe Dante, I remember liking Matinee quite a bit. It came out around the same time as Ed Wood so it was quite quickly forgotten but I gather it's a film that some people absolutely love.

Never seen Looney Tunes: Back in Action; I'd be pretty interested in checking it out though, the whole project looks fucking weird. One of the worst things about Space Jam is how little the characters' personalities seem to resemble themselves.

Glebe

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 07, 2016, 08:25:28 PMBrundle-Fly - your fretting is over.

Cast A Deadly Spell, 1991.

Wow. Never heard about this... it's up on YouTube, must give it a watch.

Catalogue Trousers

You're in for a treat. It's a fine little film.

Shit Good Nose

Not a single mention of Eerie Indiana???

Hollywood Boulevard is good fun, if not brilliant.  Dante's first credited piece as director - The Movie Orgy - is an interesting, if hard going (it's 7 hours long), "clips show" covering the history of American visual media history.

His most recent theatrical features - The Hole and Burying the Ex[nb]with Anton Yelchin[/nb] - are decidedly mediocre.

His segments in Amazon Women On the Moon were pretty good (although all of them blown out of the water by John Landis' segments).

I watched Looney Tunes Back In Action for the first time since I saw it at the cinema, when it was on TV a few months back.  It's not quite as bad as I remembered it being first time around, and latter-day critical opinion seems to be better as well, but it's still a both Dante and Looney Tunes also-ran.  Jenna Elfman looks great in it, though...

His absolute worst work of all, though, also happens to be one of his most recent - the horror series Splatter.  Absolute toilet.  Avoid.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 08, 2016, 10:56:30 PM
Any chance of another Hulk Hogan cameo?

That was lightning in a bottle, I'm afraid.  Will never happen again.

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on December 08, 2016, 11:25:10 PMThat was lightning in a bottle, I'm afraid.  Will never happen again.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan is waiting patiently by the phone.

Shaky

Quote from: Replies From View on December 08, 2016, 11:25:10 PM
That was lightning in a bottle, I'm afraid.  Will never happen again.

Probably just as well. Hulk's so old now he can no longer rip his own shirt off, and no-one wants to see that in CGI.

Glebe

Exclusive: 'Gremlins 3' Has a "Twisted and Dark" Screenplay Says Writer Chris Columbus.

QuoteGremlins fans are also worried that a new film would use CGI gremlins in place of the puppets. Columbus assured fans the film would still use puppets, but visual effects could make puppetry easier to achieve than it was in 1984.

"Oh, without a doubt, minimal CGI," Columbus said. "CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier. It was brutal. It was like a marathon every night for those guys. In the bar scene alone there were 18 [or] 20 people behind the bar. No one had any space to move. It was just hellish for those guys so CGI will simplify that a little bit but it's all puppets."

Good to hear. Now hurry up and fucking make it!

Replies From View

notjosh

The fact that Chris Columbus doesn't like Gremlins 2 doesn't bode well for this. Don't think I can go back to your standard-issue Gremlin when I know bat- spider- and Brain Gremlin are all possibilities.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on August 17, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
The fact that Chris Columbus doesn't like Gremlins 2 doesn't bode well for this. Don't think I can go back to your standard-issue Gremlin when I know bat- spider- and Brain Gremlin are all possibilities.

Likewise, the fact that Chris Columbus is involved in any way depresses me, he was fun enough in the eighties but something seems to have happened in 1990 and ever since everything he's been involved in has been bland at best and turgid shite the rest / majority of the time. Even worse, on imdb the screeplay is credited to Carl Ellsworth, who also wrote the remakes of Red Dawn and The Last House on the Left, along with Disturbia, Red Eye and four episodes of Cleopatra 2525, so I'd be amazed if this turns out well.

Glebe

So the original is getting a re-release run under the banner 'Gremlins Rule Breakers' in selected US theaters, with Joe Dante chat and exclusive (free?) Mondo T-shirt:

Official site.

Gremlin Rule Breakers trailer.

This was a golden opportunity for a restoration and 4K remastering, but there you go...

Blumf

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on December 02, 2017, 01:51:06 PMWhy the name change?

They haven't changed the name of the film itself, it's just the 'events' are called that. Soz if I explained that wrong.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on December 02, 2017, 01:54:27 PM
They haven't changed the name of the film itself, it's just the 'events' are called that. Soz if I explained that wrong.

Panic adverted; I was fuming for a moment there!

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on December 02, 2017, 01:54:27 PM
Soz if I explained that wrong.

No need to apologise, the official site doesn't make it that clear either. Bunch of idiots, if you ask me.

Custard

It's pretty amazing Gremlins has never got a second sequel or a remake. It'd print money, surely? (But then, that's what they thought about Ghostbusters)

The first one is a classic in my book, and my book has at least 4 classics

It might work better as some kind of telly continuation, like Ash Vs Evil Dead. That could be good larks

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 02, 2017, 11:44:50 PM
It might work better as some kind of telly continuation, like Ash Vs Evil Dead. That could be good larks

Possibly but for the record, Ash Vs Evil Dead is a stonking pile of steaming bollocks and I'm aware of the fact that I stand alone in that opinion.  Just call me a 'contrarian' and I'll vehemently oppose you on that.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 28, 2015, 07:33:12 AM
While I loved the first two movies, is there anything left to do, though?

Put it in space.