Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:08:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gremlins 3 actually happening, apparently.

Started by Glebe, November 28, 2015, 02:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on December 06, 2017, 06:01:35 PM
They could have Gremlins on The Internet.

Are these real gremlins or digital ones?

The twist this time should be that there is only one gremlins.

Custard

An orange and teal Gremlin on an orange and teal internet

Glebe

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on December 06, 2017, 02:55:40 AM
Critters did that

Objectively, Critters 4 is a terrible film but subjectively, it's the best film what I've ever gone done and seen.  Critters in Sppaaacccceeeeeee!  Hungry little hedgehogs!  Pin, pin in my spine.  Ouch!

Steven

I've caught the flu for the first time in donkey's years, I think because I eat a lot of ginger and garlic and curries etc I generally never get colds or flu, I can't remember the last time I had one. But I was travelling and then was out chatting to people outside in the cold for a long period on Tuesday night and seem to have picked something up by the morning. The symptoms have suddenly brought back childhood memories of being sick; whenever I was ill as a toddler or kid, my Dad would pick me up from school and tuck me up in a big bed in the spare room on my own, with the light off and would have already rented Gremlins out and stuck it on the TV. Quite why it was ALWAYS Gremlins as we didn't own it on video and nothing else I don't know, whether through being the only kids film that immediately came to his mind or some kind of MK Ultra based brain-rinsing program remains to be seen.

However, it does bring to mind how much of the RULES set out in Gremlins reflect flu symptoms:

1. No Bright Light: I can't have the light on too much at the moment, it hurts my eyes and causes headaches.
2. Don't Get Wet: Avoiding the cold and the wet is sensible too, this time of year rain is like Golden Showers off Jack Forst. 
3. Don't Feed After Midnight: Haven't been able to eat for days, attempted to eat something ironically enough just after midnight which made me feel more ill and went back to bed, though I didn't spin a cocoon and undergo a metamorphosis into a green, wicked troublemaking creature. Accounts may vary.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on December 08, 2017, 07:13:25 PM
I've caught the flu for the first time in donkey's years, I think because I eat a lot of ginger and garlic and curries...

That's not how viruses work, you human person.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 13, 2017, 12:41:58 AM
That's not how viruses work, you human person.

I'm afraid it is, you big silly.

QuoteThe anti-inflammatory gingerols and shaogals in ginger root will help to relieve a sore throat quickly, and they also kill rhinoviruses, which cause colds in the first place.

St_Eddie

Replies From View

That's rhinoviruses though.  Pachyderm play by their own fucked up rules.

ieXush2i

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 13, 2017, 09:04:06 PM
Oh.

That's a single trial, so not really worth taking as gospel until more research is done.

St_Eddie

Quote from: (Ex poster) on December 14, 2017, 10:44:39 AM
That's a single trial, so not really worth taking as gospel until more research is done.

I await the results, with baited breath.

Kelvin

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on January 09, 2018, 08:24:36 PM
Zack Galligan on Twitter.

Bless him, even as he's laying upon his death bed, Galligan's never going to give up hope for a career revival.  You've got to admire that kind of deluded optimism.

Quote from: Kelvin on January 09, 2018, 08:28:19 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on December 15, 2017, 02:32:10 AM
I await the results, with baited breath.

ginger's good for that, too

Coincidentally, a woman named Ginger, once wouldn't kiss me because of my gingivitis and now I find out that ginger is the solution to my problems.  What a world!

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 06, 2017, 08:49:47 PM
An orange and teal Gremlin on an orange and teal internet
Funny you should joke about that. I watched Gremlins on blu-ray over Christmas and was surprised how most of the film is actually orange and teal. For example there are lots of shots composed with orange-lit characters against blue-lit snow. It turns out the phenomenon isn't just a modern one.

Chriddof

Maybe you're right, but I have heard about older films getting their colour grading altered so they end up resembling modern movies, or at least look very different to how they were originally released.

FAKE EDIT: I got curious and checked out a DVD / Blu Ray comparison for Gremlins here and it didn't look overly orange and teal-y to me - there was more of a equal balance of everything in general (at least in those screenshots). Couldn't find a pre-digital colour grading VHS cap comparison.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah those shots aren't bad, and to be honest the film isn't egregiously graded as modern films but in several scenes (mainly outside/night scenes) there's a definite teal/orange contrast. I've found a few screenshots online:

Glebe

Blu-ray.com: Gremlins 4K Blu-ray.

QuoteWarner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that it is preparing a 4K Blu-ray release of Joe Dante's classic comedy Gremlins (1984), starring Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates, Hoyt Axton, Polly Holliday, and Frances Lee McCain. The release will be available for purchase on October 1.

The studio has not yet detailed the upcoming release.

In addition to the standard retail 4K Blu-ray edition, Best Buy will have available for purchase an exclusive SteelBook Edition.

Synopsis: Anyone who lived through the '80s experienced the magic of Gremlins. For everyone else, now is the time to see one of the decade's defining movies, a wildly original blend of comedy and horror. When Billy (Zach Galligan) receives an adorable pet named Gizmo for Christmas, he's given three rules for its care. Inadvertently, he breaks the rules, and a resulting army of duplicate furballs wreaks havoc throughout the town in this endearing and enduring box-office hit.

Special Features:
HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
Filmmakers' Commentary with Director Joe Dante, Producer Michael Finnell and Special Effects Artist Chris Walas
Cast Commentary with Director Joe Dante, Zack Galligan, Phoebe Cates, Dick Miller, and Howie Mandel
Gremlins: Behind the Scenes Featurette
Additional Scenes with Commentary
Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailers
Additional Scenes
Cute. Clever. Mischievous. Intelligent: Making Gremlins
Gremlins: The Gift of the Mogwai (motion comic)
The Last Gremlin (motion comic)
From Gizmo to Gremlins: Creating the Creatures
Hangin' with Hoyt on the set of Gremlins
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Canadian French, Parisian French

Gremlins - 4K Trailer.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4K telly/player... one would hope the standard Blu-ray will be a remaster (in the comments section below the article, someone mentions that a remaster has been screened theatrically). The original BD release looked a bit flat and uninspired, although at least it was natural and filmic looking. Steelbook release coming too, sadly both editions feature pretty awful cover artwork. What's wrong with the original poster image?

Avril Lavigne

Christ, the first one looks like a pack of Starburst Joosters and the second just reminds me of that banned Pot Noodle advert.  I've never understood the trend of making all-new covers for these things instead of using the old posters - hastily Photoshopped artwork is never in a million years going to look as good as a meticulously hand-painted piece so why even bother?  When it comes to '80s movies like this I often find myself buying the Steelbook Blu Rays not just because they look fancy but because they tend to use the original artwork while the standard-packaging release will have some garish trash on the cover.

Ghostbusters Steelbook Blu Ray:

Ghostbusters-brand Headache-Induction Rectangle:

Glebe

St_Eddie

There's some cracking examples of terrible DVD artwork here.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 07, 2019, 02:01:01 PM
Christ, the first one looks like a pack of Starburst Joosters...

My mind went in similar direction, only it was Fruit Salad for me...

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 07, 2019, 02:01:01 PMI've never understood the trend of making all-new covers for these things instead of using the old posters...

I like what Arrow does with their DVDs; newly commissioned artwork, with the original theatrical poster on a reversible sleeve.  It also helps that, unlike those Gremlins and Ghostbusters DVDs, their newly commissioned artwork is generally decent.  It's pretty much 50/50 as to which side of the cover I go for.

madhair60

I like Arrow in general. Some of their catalogue doesn't deserve the treatment it gets, but I'm glad it gets it. Just got their Withnail & I Blu-Ray in the post yesterday. Never seen it before, gonna watch it with the gf on her suggestion.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 07, 2019, 03:05:48 PM
I like Arrow in general. Some of their catalogue doesn't deserve the treatment it gets, but I'm glad it gets it.

Same as.  Though it bears saying that their whole mandate is basically 'cult films', so it's only natural that there's an awful lot of esoteric schlock within their catalogue.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 07, 2019, 03:05:48 PM
Never seen it before, gonna watch it with the gf on her suggestion.

Oh wow!  Your girlfriend is a wise woman, as Withnail & I is a classic.  You're in for a treat, Doggo.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it, as I found that I didn't quite "get" it on my first viewing.  It's definitely a film which only gets better and better with each subsequent viewing.

The Culture Bunker

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2019, 03:08:41 PM
Oh wow!  Your girlfriend is a wise woman, as Withnail & I is a classic.  You're in for a treat, Doggo.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it, as I found that I didn't quite "get" it on my first viewing.  It's definitely a film which only gets better and better with each subsequent viewing.

I am very excited. The Blu also came with a copy of "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" which I know nothing about

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 07, 2019, 03:20:31 PM
And Ernie Hudson gets screwed again, I note.

Kind of apt, mind you, given how he also gets the short shrift in the sequel itself.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 07, 2019, 03:21:54 PM
I am very excited. The Blu also came with a copy of "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" which I know nothing about

I've got the same release.  That's two treats you've got in store for you now.  How to Get Ahead in Advertising is as fantastic, as it is batshit insane.

I might start a thread actually.

EDIT: I have started a thread.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2019, 03:00:50 PM
I like what Arrow does with their DVDs; newly commissioned artwork, with the original theatrical poster on a reversible sleeve.  It also helps that, unlike those Gremlins and Ghostbusters DVDs, their newly commissioned artwork is generally decent.  It's pretty much 50/50 as to which side of the cover I go for.

Yeah I have a couple of Arrow Blu Rays and although I keep the original artwork on the covers, it's really cool to have the alternate as an option.  I like the alternate cover for their upcoming Weird Science Blu Ray.  I wish all video releases were like theirs but at some point over the past 10 years the amount of effort put into DVDs and Blu Rays started to drop even with hugely popular movies that are guaranteed to sell well.