Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs which you dislike initially, but then warm to...

Started by gazzyk1ns, October 15, 2004, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

It happens occasionally, doesn't it... this thread was inspired by the fact that yesterday, whilst listening to "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" by Coldplay, I realised that the first track, "Politik", used to be my least-liked one... but is now probably my favourite.

I just love the way the song "changes" on that one emphasised piano note just after halfway through. I also like the way in which the "mood" of the song changes for the better, it starts off feeling cold and cynical, but ends up conveying euphoria.

Anyway, has anything similar happened to anyone else? The fact that my example was Coldplay leads me to believe that it happened because most of the tracks on that same album which I used to prefer to Politik, have been utterly overplayed by both television and radio over the past 18 months... have your similar experiences happened for similar reasons?

sproggy

Borboski

hah that scissor sisters version of comfortable numb i thought was at first heresy, and even if they are little culture sluts is I think just good fun now!

Can't stand me now by the Libertines.

Anything by Ikara Colt.

Ciarán2

That'll be "4 Ever 2Gether" by ABC. Off the Lexicon of Love LP. I thought it was ponderous and pretentious and tuneless at first. Now I realise it's a mean, moody marvel.

Oh go on...give it a try!

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5104

Ambient Sheep

"The Only Way is Up" by Yazz and the Plastic Population

Amazing what you can grow to like when it's the girl you really really fancied's favourite record that she always asked you to put on the juke box for you.

Now of course, it only brings back painful memories of, erm, pain.

MrManson

Suttonpubcrawl

I was thinking about something like this the other day. I bought a Billy Bragg album a while ago and at first I thought a lot of the songs were terrible. They were mainly accoustic guitar and singing and I had been trained to expect songs like this to be dreadfully corny and generally awful. Think Eva Cassidy doing fields of gold or something like that. Then I listened properly and realised that actually they're very well done and good songs.

Spiteface

Radiohead

Hated them initially (The old "but it's so depressing!!" arguement), but then I saw them do Paranoid Android on Later with Jools, and I was converted.

Dr David V

The whole of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned by Prodigy. Except The Way It Is, that's was always a great track.

DJ One Record

Radiohead's "Idioteque". First time I heard it on the Essential Selection I thought "What is this, some dodgy remix?" But after a few weeks of not hearing it, I found myself wanting to hear it again. So I bought "Kid A" and now I have all their LPs bar that "Pablo Honey" one.

mayer

The Others - This Is For The Poor...

i thought it was embarassing as hell first five times i heard it, but it's actually pretty nifty.

Lumiere

Quote from: "DJ One Record"now I have all their LPs bar that "Pablo Honey" one.

Fair enough. It's their worst album by miles.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Lumiere"
Quote from: "DJ One Record"now I have all their LPs bar that "Pablo Honey" one.

Fair enough. It's their worst album by miles.

I like it myself, I certainly prefer it to Kid A

Joy Nktonga

Pablo Honey was the first Radiohead album I bought and I'm still utterlty charmed by it, as I am by Amnesiac also,and every album in between.
Aside from acts no longer producing material,  Radiohead are in fact the only band/artist whose full output I own (album only) and continue to purchase and enjoy, the next closest in still-going folks being Blur whose Think Tank was d/led not bought.

This thread hijack has been brought you you by Nktonga's Antiques and Investigations and normal service will be resumed by the next poster, or else.

elmerdinkley

The Happy Monday's first LP, exotically titled 'Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile '. On first listening, it sounds very much like a deaf-dumb alcoholic shouting into a microphone while suspended vertically upside down and gargling crude oil. The second time around, it's quite appealing, especially '24 Hour Party People'. 'Crazy!' as Louis Balfour might say.
Also 'Making Plans for Nigel' by XTC. I first heard it on TV, which meant watching the embarrassingly dated video (I can't really understand how the early 80's audience can have thought it anything but appalling). Having bought the album though, I realise it's a genre-defining masterpiece.
And yes, Pablo Honey is a classic too, and not just for the single 'Creep'. 'The Bends' was better, but since then it's been downhill for Radiohead. Having said that I'd be quite proud of 'OK Computer' if I could only prove that I wrote it all in 1992.