Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SHEPHERD’S BUSH EMPIRE CLOSED DUE TO “SERIOUS STRUCTURAL DAMAGE”

Started by GoochDogHigh5s, December 07, 2015, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoochDogHigh5s

FUCK!! I am supposed to be seeing They Might Be Giants there in Feb!!

Venue is expected to make a full statement later today

London's Shepherd's Bush Empire has been forced to close indefinitely, due to "serious structural damage".

The 2,000 capacity venue was set to host Courteeners on Friday 4th December, however the show suffered a last-minute postponement after safety fears.

Liam Fray of Courteeners told fans: "I know you're all disapppinted but if something happened to one of those balconies with all you guys inside its [sic] does not bear even thinking about."

"We are just so thankful that their H&S checks uncovered the danger and prevented a potential disaster," he added.

The venue subsequently tweeted yesterday (Sunday 6th December), stating: "Afraid we won't have news about our structural works until Monday, sorry we can't reply to all individual tweets until we have more info."

Upcoming shows at the venue include John Cooper Clarke, The Twang and four consecutive Kodaline gigs.

Neville Chamberlain

I expect it was the bodged work of a construction company commissioned to expand and reinforce the premises after being told that there were some giants coming to perform there!!!

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 07, 2015, 12:32:45 PM
I expect it was the bodged work of a construction company commissioned to expand and reinforce the premises after being told that there were some giants coming to perform there!!!
Good point, but there is only a possibility that they are giants

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on December 07, 2015, 12:37:12 PM
Good point, but there is only a possibility that they are giants

Good point, but in this age of political correctness gone mad, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Vodka Margarine

QuoteThe 2,000 capacity venue was set to host Courteeners on Friday 4th December

What a time to be alive.

CaledonianGonzo

The only time I've ever been to it I got robbed and the staff there at the time and on the phone afterwards were the very soul of disinterested uselessness.

So I wouldn't mind if the whole building plummeted into a sinkhole.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 07, 2015, 12:50:10 PM
So I wouldn't mind if the whole building plummeted into a sinkhole.

With or without The Courteneers in it?

great_badir

I've seen a lot of brilliant gigs there over the last 20 years. 

They'll get it sorted, though - it's too much of an institution (and one that actually makes money) to just be left or demolished.  Christ, if they can sort out an old cinema in Bath, where half of the building was sliding downhill, for a company that barely manages to break even (Komedia), they can manage internal structural integrity at the Empire.

Beagle 2

Fuck me, are The Twang still going?

Seen a couple of barnstormers there over the years. My recollection is that it's one of the better venues of that size.