Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Idris Elba as Roland Deschain?!

Started by Glebe, December 10, 2015, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Paaaaul on December 11, 2015, 12:48:27 PM
Idris Elba is a bad actor. He hasn't been good in anything I've seen him in since The Wire. He's a *star* now, playing himself but wearing different clothes in different roles.

He's good in Second Coming. Very good indeed, actually. It was kind of a relief seeing that. I didn't want the man who played Stringer Bell to languish forever in shite Marvel film/Sky advert purgatory.

Glebe

What Stephen King Really Thinks About Switching The Race Of A Dark Tower Character.

QuoteTo me, the color of the gunslinger doesn't matter. What I care about is how fast he can draw...and that he takes care of the ka-tet.

Fair enough, can't argue with the creator...

Garam

Yes you can. The daft twat thinks The Shining is a bad movie.

wooders1978

I love his books but if king is involved with the movie it's gonna be fucked

Glebe

The Dark Tower: What Stars Should Play Which Roles.

Viggo Mortensen is someone I'm sure occurred to a lot of people for Roland... David Mazouz from Gotham as Jake is a good one, as is Zoe Saldana for Odetta/Susannah. I always thought of Eddie as being a bit like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, except maybe paler and skinnier.[nb]Actually, he ends up fairly pale and skinny during the coke-paranoia bit of the film.[/nb]

Bazooka

Not keen on this idea, whats wrong with a bit of Christopher Biggins; " Oh Jake My Boy".

Glebe

The Dark Tower's Producer Has A Blunt Message For Those Who Don't Like Idris Elba.

QuoteI'm unbelievably proud of it as a collaborator on this enterprise and because I think that he's a great actor and I couldn't be more thrilled that he is likely to play a part... I understand that people who are thoughtful about the storytelling and the racial politics of the storytelling might want to understand how that informs that storytelling, and I respect that and I hear that, and those things are not things we didn't think about or don't think about. The racist assholes should go fuck themselves.

Fair enough.

Pit-Pat

I just don't want them ruining another Stephen King work by casting a black guy to play a white character, like The Shawshank Redemption.

Bazooka

She is in the last book I think, so it sounds like they are going to fuck it up and bring a character in way too early, this project is way too ambitious without changing everything.

BritishHobo

I keep seeing people say that, but I'm just baffled by being able to say that that's fucking things up, on such little information. We've no idea at all what their use of this name means, but even if it does mean featuring an incidental character from book seven in book one, I dunno why that's automatically so bad.

wooders1978

Is it plausible they are going to replace jake with this character??

Glebe

Quote from: wooders1978 on February 22, 2016, 08:08:01 AMIs it plausible they are going to replace jake with this character??

That can't possibly be, he's too important a character. Dark Tower fans (including myself) would be up in arms, and very rightly so.

wooders1978

Just thinking out loud really - if they are thinking of shooting these over presumably several years it might be difficult to make someone stay 10 years old for the whole time so they might be tempted to replace him with this character who will basically retain the same look over the course of a decade  - I can't see how or why they are going to make her a major character otherwise...?

Glebe

Quote from: wooders1978 on February 22, 2016, 06:07:18 PMI can't see how or why they are going to make her a major character otherwise...?

I could well be wrong, but I dunno about them making her a 'major' character as such. The thing is, there's endless backstory to DK, King has done lot's of spin-off stuff and says he'll never be done with it, and there's the Marvel series and everything, so it could well be that she pops up much earlier in the film and has some impact, but not in a major role.

BritishHobo

Shooting to start in seven weeks' time for a January 2017 release. To start 'in media res' (which presumably means skipping the first book/combining the first and second, which I think makes perfect sense) - not sure anyone can take issue with that, 'cos that's what the books do anyway.

There's a lot of scrabbling about, but BLACK ROLAND still appears to be the main bone of contention. It's doing my nut in because it's that thing where people pull at a couple of small strands and act like they're integral to the series and cannot be changed. Odetta's relationship with a black Roland would be different (this seems to be the one most people have clung on to)? Fine. She's fucking insane, she can find a different reason to hate him - IIRC, his being a man should still be reason enough. She can still hate Eddie for his skin colour.

I'm just BORED of people banging on about 'different to the book'. Everyone says the Series of Unfortunate Events film was bad because it changed stuff, and they're all wrong idiots. That film was fucking great. The Shining changed shit and it's one of the most iconic movies of all time - and King gets it in the neck for criticising the changes. More than anything, I wish people would at least wait for a plot description, let alone a trailer, let alone the film itself, before deciding EVERYTHING IS FUCKED.

This is not aimed at anyone in here - this thread's been a nice respite from the usual over-exaggerated black-and-white tedium going on everywhere else.

Ooh Hermione Granger can't be black in a stage-play because one time she hid behind a tree and it said she had a white face - FUCK OFF. Have some FUCKING imagination for christ's sake.

Glebe

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 02, 2016, 05:02:40 PMThere's a lot of scrabbling about, but BLACK ROLAND still appears to be the main bone of contention. It's doing my nut in because it's that thing where people pull at a couple of small strands and act like they're integral to the series and cannot be changed. Odetta's relationship with a black Roland would be different (this seems to be the one most people have clung on to)? Fine. She's fucking insane, she can find a different reason to hate him - IIRC, his being a man should still be reason enough. She can still hate Eddie for his skin colour.

Yeah, Odetta/Susannah's relationship to Roland is an interesting one. I've come around to the idea of Elba as Roland because the world of The Dark Tower is pretty wacky and constantly shifting, and the identities of characters can often be weirdly amorphous (ooh, I'm so clever!). And Elba is a talented, versatile, and striking-looking actor.

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 02, 2016, 05:02:40 PMI'm just BORED of people banging on about 'different to the book'. Everyone says the Series of Unfortunate Events film was bad because it changed stuff, and they're all wrong idiots. That film was fucking great. The Shining changed shit and it's one of the most iconic movies of all time - and King gets it in the neck for criticising the changes.

King does apparently enjoy The Shining as it's own thing, but in this recently-published interview from a couple of years back, he brings up probably the biggest issue that most people have with it:

Stephen King On What Hollywood Owes Authors When Their Books Become Films: Q&A.

Quote...the character of Jack Torrance has no arc in that movie. Absolutely no arc at all. When we first see Jack Nicholson, he's in the office of Mr. Ullman, the manager of the hotel, and you know, then, he's crazy as a shit house rat. All he does is get crazier. In the book, he's a guy who's struggling with his sanity and finally loses it. To me, that's a tragedy. In the movie, there's no tragedy because there's no real change.

The 1997 miniseries (in which King cameos) cleaves much closer to the book, but it's not particularly good, as I recall.

BritishHobo

Aye. The book and the film are independently great - the book as the story of a man struggling against supernatural forces to protect his wife and son, and the film as the breakdown of a terrifying psychopath.

I wish generally that people would be more lenient to changes. Discussion of superhero films bore me anyway, but I'm especially tired of people using 'different to the comic/book' to inherently mean 'bad'. On two levels: before the film even comes out, everyone goes 'it'll be shit 'cos it's different' and then when it comes out they go 'it was shit 'cos it was different'.

Glebe

Glebe

Wait, Is Aaron Paul Going To Be In The Dark Tower After All?

I'm not familiar with this guy, though I believe he was in Breaking Bad. I always think of Eddie as a bit like Henry Hill in Goodfellas.

BritishHobo

That article about the script is really interesting, cheers. I've been assuming that film 1 would combine The Gunslinger and Drawing (and possibly The Waste Lands - something that irritated me but I love about the books is that the second and third are basically extended introductions to the ensemble cast). If this isn't too much of a change from that draft, it seems
Spoiler alert
we really won't be getting Eddie or Susannah. Which makes sense, because I'd expect their casting to have been announced by now. Folding in The Waste Lands could be smart, because it means that Drawing of the Three can literally be the drawing of the three, without Jake's drawing spilling over into the next film (making it The Drawing of the Two). Then, if they're going to keep Wizard and Glass aside to possibly be a TV show (drop it like Daredevil on Netflix, or something), they can plough ahead with the meat of the story.
[close]

Beagle 2

I really hate the Shining movie, but I watched it like a week after finishing the book and was astonished what was skipped over. I didn't see how any of it would actually make sense if you watched the film alone.

I probably need to watch it now with some perspective.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 08, 2016, 12:51:11 PM
Then, if they're going to keep Wizard and Glass aside to possibly be a TV show (drop it like Daredevil on Netflix, or something), they can plough ahead with the meat of the story.

I'd not even considered them doing something like that with Wizard And Glass, but now you've played that idea I my head I really hope they do. It deserves more than a two hour film, that'd probably have to jump from set piece to set piece. More than anything else in the series it's an insight into Roland. And I do find him a fascinating character, worthy of in depth exploration.

Kane Jones

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 11, 2015, 12:06:37 PM
Idris Elba as Roland..

Please be rat, please be rat.

Idris Elba as Roland Deschain?!

Ohhh:(

I was hoping for Roland Browning.

wooders1978

Ugh - NOT Aaron Paul for Eddie please

BritishHobo

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 08, 2016, 02:44:36 PM
I'd not even considered them doing something like that with Wizard And Glass, but now you've played that idea I my head I really hope they do. It deserves more than a two hour film, that'd probably have to jump from set piece to set piece. More than anything else in the series it's an insight into Roland. And I do find him a fascinating character, worthy of in depth exploration.

King's said they're keeping Ron Howard's idea of a TV series open, and that it's in reference to young Roland. So chances are definitely high. It sounds good, doesn't it? I think it'd work well alongside the films, complementing them rather than halting them.

Black Ship

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 08, 2016, 01:16:32 PM
I really hate the Shining movie, but I watched it like a week after finishing the book and was astonished what was skipped over. I didn't see how any of it would actually make sense if you watched the film alone.

I probably need to watch it now with some perspective.

Typical Kubrick. Great film-maker, but by Christ he knew how to ruin a good book. Burgess was so unhappy with the adaptation of ACO that he lampooned Kubrick in the stage adaptation