Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football]

Started by mayer, October 16, 2004, 03:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: "phes"I just got a ticket for Fratton Park today and I'm over the moon.
Hopefully this year Manchester United wont be pants again. Much as three points would be great, part of me wants to see them in full swing ripping apart the opposition!

Play up Pompey....

Poo.... it's just such a let down

Mr Colossal

Well united lost, and the first goal  was a pen as well which goes to show things do even themselves out. I'll be suprised if they come higher than third this season, they are playing like a bunch of cunts and don't deserve to come any higher.

Arsenal were fucking lucky to avoid home  embarrassment by the might Southampton too. Maybe their both going to have christmas slump... Barcelona are renound for having one almost every year.

phes

To be honest it didn't even anything up. Manchester United were awarded EVERY SINGLE 50/50 decision. The level of bias shown by the referee was disgusting. He was absolutely hopeless. Although a couple of Pompey players fouled the opposition nastily and were awarded possesion, don't know if he was trying to even things up. Pompey bossed it quite comfortably, I don't know which game the beeb's Garth was watching but the posession was fairly even in the first half and most of Man U's chances could probably be attributed to decisions on physical challenges which for some reason, went there way. I'd never noticed this 'bias' that certain teams get until today. But it's there for sure, and I guess it just makes winning even more of an accomplishment.

Borboski

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I can't believe we're still talking about that match.  How's about this for a point of conjecture: shut up.  All these complaints are a thin veil over one important point on Sunday's game: Arsenal were not good enough on the day to win.  It's like all that "Ver ref robbed us" after Euro 2004.  Yes, it was a perfectly legitimate goal, but at the end of the day England simply were not good enough to win.

All this fuss about Riley is funny.  I didn't see the game until the BBC highlights, but I did listen to it on Radio 5Live on the way back from the Lake District.  Throughout the commentary, the men behind the microphone continually said what a good game they thought the referree was having.  The commentary team included Alan Green, and surely everyone knows how much he hates Man Utd.

Oh don't be such a spoil sport - "shut up"

1) Arsenal may not have been good enough - but the point people seem to be making, quite validly, is that they weren't given a chance as they were quite literally booted of the park as Riley took an "anything goes" attitude not seen since the height of Weimar Germany! - which massively benefitting Man Utd, not least because they have more "dirty" twats in their side.

Now all the Man U fans I know have since Sunday bleated - Oh Arsenal were just as bad - but all the footie fans who don't support either team I know have been pretty much in agreement that Man Utd took a rather nasty approach to the game.

2) That disallowed goal for England WASN'T A GOAL!!! God - was I watching a different game?  The England player on the keeper (Terry?) went up very early and was on his way down by the time anyone would jump than could get a head on it (Campbell). You can then quite clearly see Terry arm's press down on the keeper.  Is it not really simple? Although - if it had been a legitimate goal then I don't see anything wrong with moaning on and on about it. Why not? It's only fitba.

fanny splendid

So, you're a Scottish Arsenal fan?

fanny splendid

Oh yes, his shin pad making his sock stick out at a strange angle.

Mr Colossal

Errrm that looks snapped to me.  

follow the leg bone down, its impossible. I thought it was a mong first until i realised it was from todays game.The report says he was taken of with a suspected broken leg...Unless he's got rubber bones thats Nasty.

Beagle 2

Oh fuuuuck! That is real then? I heard he'd broken his leg, I didn't realise it was Busst-ish.

Quotethats Nasty

I imagine it did smart a bit, aye.

Mark Fowler reffing todays game I see.

gazzyk1ns

JSW linked me up with that earlier and I was reminded of being at Portman Road in 2001, where Luc Nilis did this:

To his right leg, about 10 feet from where I was sitting. Yup, that is Nilis' right boot you can see the bottom of.

rjpeters

That Cisse pic reminds me of Henrik Larrson's leg break a few years ago. The shinpad sticking out made it look horrendous but luckily he was back playing within about 6 months. Not that we can do without Cisse for 6 months.

God knows who we are going to replace him with. Mellor looks way off match fitness and Pongolle I've got my doubts about. That coupled with Mista signing a new contract and Morientes unlikely to be cheap means we are royally screwed up front. We need to make Milan Baros immortal for the rest of the season.

Still, Man Ure lost, and Arsenal barely beat Southampton. Suppose that kinda makes up for it.

phes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3968871.stm

Anybody else think this is pathetic. Surely this is getting way out of hand now, it's embarassing and these guys should know better.

fanny splendid

Well stop talking about it. Stop giving it attention.

phes

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Well stop talking about it. Stop giving it attention.

What a silly reaction. In what way is my raising the issue going to fuel the saga?  Surely something needs to be done about this and ignoring it will not make it go away. A lot of Premiership football and the circus that surrounds it leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth thesedays. This sort of rubbish shouldn't be allowed to go on. If I raised the issue of players putting verbal pressure on referees to book the opposition I guess your answer wouldn't be to ignore it and I feel that this is not dissimilar. It's embarassing to see happening and sets a terrible example. No wonder the game is full of wankers.

chand

Quote from: "phes"http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3968871.stm

Anybody else think this is pathetic. Surely this is getting way out of hand now, it's embarassing and these guys should know better.

Well, it is silly, yes. Ferguson is trying to say that United weren't the only team committing fouls, and he's criticising Henry as a response to Wenger's comments on Ruud.

It's all overblown though, I've seen far nastier Premiership matches than that one.

phes

Quote from: "chand"
It's all overblown though, I've seen far nastier Premiership matches than that one.

Exactly, this is my point. I'ts about special treatment. I dont think you'd see his happening with about fourteen of the Premiership teams. I guess they should be grateful that they're not invited to that party. I can honestly say that Portsmouth returning to Division 2, lower quality of football aside, is quite an appealing prospect in many ways.

fanny splendid

It's a hardly a silly reaction. If the media stopped giving them the opportunity to spout off about any old crap, and encouraging them in this ridiculous battle of minds, maybe the stakes wouldn't be so high.

Stop your idle, and uneducated gossip.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "phes"I dont think you'd see his happening with about fourteen of the Premiership teams.

The media don't give a shit about the other members of the Premiership.

Quote from: "phes"I guess they should be grateful that they're not invited to that party.

Yeah, and you can cry if you want to, but nobody is interested in Portsmouth.

Quote from: "phes"I can honestly say that Portsmouth returning to Division 2, lower quality of football aside, is quite an appealing prospect in many ways.

And you will not be missed.

phes

Quote from: "phes"http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3968871.stm

Maybe I should have made this clearer, sorry. When I said "these guys" I was referring to the beeb.  I was NOT looking to discuss the ins and outs of Fergusen et al's relationships. I dont see where the gossip comes into it and I don't see what warrants the nastiness of your reply.

For the purposes of balance I would like it known that I think the following:

1.  I thought it was a harsh penalty, but if you pull a shirt you take the risk of being punished.
2.  United lost because they weren't good enough to win the game.

I'm off to put a bullet in my head.  Perhaps even two, just to be on the safe side.

Peking O

Quote from: "phes"I can honestly say that Portsmouth returning to Division 2, lower quality of football aside, is quite an appealing prospect in many ways.

As a West Ham fan I'm not exactly thrilled at rejoining the Premier League (if it happens). Division 1/The Championship is ace to be honest, I've enjoyed our season and a bit a lot more than the Premier League.

QuoteYeah, and you can cry if you want to, but nobody is interested in Portsmouth.

phes wrote:
I can honestly say that Portsmouth returning to Division 2, lower quality of football aside, is quite an appealing prospect in many ways.

And you will not be missed.

This type of exchange reminds me how foolish it is to come on to non-football sites and discuss the game with people as wrong-headed as fanny splendid. I won't be back to this thread in a hurry (hooray! says everyone).

mayer

Quote from: "Peking O"people as wrong-headed as fanny splendid.

ey. watch the fanny-bashing.

phes

Yeah come on, lets get back to the Phes - bashing. Besides, it will be so much easier with me being uneducated and idle etc etc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I wonder where this theory that the Premiership is a boring league comes from. In recent times we've been rewarded with some fantastic football matches!
In the respect that 'the same teams always win', I think that is true for every league in the world, generally. We've had a period of dominance by Manchester Utd, and now it looks more like Arsenal or Chelsea will dominate- Chelsea certainly have the resources and the potential.
This is coming from a Newcastle fan, and our club has had to depressingly settle for fighting it out with Liverpool for the last Champions League spot over the last two years. I still enjoy watching us play, and I'll happily watch any Premiership teams play each other. But then I'm a football fan, so that's quite natural.
I'm sure in Scotland, where Rangers or Celtic will win the title forever more, the rest of the teams are just as determined to hunt them down and beat them, and their fans are as eager and hungry as ever for success. Somehow, winning your first title for absolutely ages is more satisfying than winning it ever year and developing a mentality of expecting success, whether you deserve it or not. Just look at the Red Sox. ;)

Mr Colossal

Who said it was boring? I think it is probably  the most exciting league out there now, which is reflected by thr calibre of player now considering a climatorial drop to play here. As much as I hate Wenger, muchos respect for forming some actual competition since he took over Arsenal. This year i think has been the best season teams wise yet- Even the previously average teams like Tottenham, Middlesborough, Bolton , even West Brom now have the players  to guarantee there will be more than just a few upsets this season.

Ok so your average premiership Joe isn't as technically gifted as your average spanish, portuguese, italian etc... But the games in the premiership have much more action, determination and spirit than the other leagues. Sometimes I cant watch a whole italian/spanish football match without flicking.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I know what you mean. Sometimes watching La Liga and Serie A matches, the losing side stops trying after 60 minutes. I don't think there's any team in the premiership that gives up until the final whistle is blown.
That said, Italian football gets a completely unfair press in Britain, mostly by xenophobic hacks with chips on their shoulders. I find it just as entertaining to watch. Gone are the days of watching the likes of Udinese and Parma on 4 on a Saturday afternoon. Sure, you posh Sky-owning types can still access it, but having a main station show a live continental football match on a Sunday, with a news round-up on a Saturday morning now seems ridiculous.
And James Richardson has a sort of cult following even Richard O Brien and Dominik Diamond could be envious of.

Beagle 2

Did anyone watch the superb Barca Milan game tonight? Really entertaining stuff, and a breathtaking goal from Ronaldinho at the death, by a stretch the best player in the world I reckon. Barcelona are a good bet for the cup, and if they win it playing the sort of football that  they have been, I don't think anyone would begrudge them it.

Doctor Stamen

Yeah, Barcelona were excellent in the second half, against a team I fancied to win it this season.  I'm not so sure now.  Chelsea might be worth a few quid as well though.

Doctor Stamen

Uh.....Jacques, uh......... Santini has, uh, resigned as, uh........ manager of, uh, Tottingham!

What a shame!  I thought he was going to be a good laugh as well.

Mr Colossal

Really? i havnt read anything about it... Maybe learning english proved too hard for him..I always thought he looked like a paedo anyway.

Was dissapointed to see megson go too, i thought he'd done a lot to West Brom this season. They aint going down.

EDIT. ooh bbc sport 18:56

QuoteTottenham have been hit by the resignation of a second high-profile figure at the club in a week.
Non-executive director Howard Shore has quit the club after a disagreement with Spurs chairman Howard Levy

Doesnt say anything about Santini though...