Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:26:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

X-Men: Apocalypse.

Started by Glebe, December 12, 2015, 05:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kelvin on December 13, 2015, 09:52:18 AM
Batman > Spiderman.

Batman has no hyphen. Therefore, Spiderman isn't getting one either.

Steve-Albini

madhair60

I'm weird.  I like all the X-Men and Wolverine films except Days of Future Past, which I thought was messy, and this new one looks about the same.  Far too sombre a tone for the imagery they're showing imo.

My undying, foolish X-Men love will get me in the seat, though.

WELL I GUESS WE'LL SEE.

X-Men post-Apocalypse is going to be a clusterfuck of continuity. They'd be better off hitting the reset button rather than have to say "well.. BITS of X-Men 1 & 2 still happen, but 3 is out and Origins is out and blah blah blah.."

You're probably right that Fox will take another stab at the franchise in 2020 rather than team with Marvel to do it, but if that's not an immediate success then they may well regret it.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 13, 2015, 11:47:02 AMX-Men post-Apocalypse is going to be a clusterfuck of continuity. They'd be better off hitting the reset button rather than have to say "well.. BITS of X-Men 1 & 2 still happen, but 3 is out and Origins is out and blah blah blah.."

They did that in the last film, didn't they?  I think we're just with The New Class from here on.

Mister Six

Yeah, it's already been rebooted. McAvoy's new Cyclops, Jean etc will be treated as the canonical ones from here on out, and any continuity problems can be easily ignored (as they were anyway, with multiple versions of Beast, Xavier's unexplained return to Patrick Stewart's body, etc etc).

Puce Moment

It's for children, who don't give a fuck about continuity.

olliebean

Quote from: Puce Moment on December 13, 2015, 04:30:20 PM

Frankly, nor do I, at least not in the sense that Marvel use it. I mean, not being self-contradictory is a good kind of continuity; but ramming crossovers and cross-references down your throat in the pursuit of creating an oppressive unspoken "you MUST see every film and every TV show in this continuigasm and ideally read all the comics as well or you'll be missing important stuff" diktat - they can shove that kind of continuity up their arses.

madhair60

Quote from: Puce Moment on December 13, 2015, 04:30:20 PM

Whose children?  My nephews and nieces are the first to poke at any shit story logic, plot hole or inconsistency.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 14, 2015, 10:23:16 AM
Whose children?  My nephews and nieces are the first to poke at any shit story logic, plot hole or inconsistency.

Exactly. If you're going to say that X-Men 1 & 2 are still technically canonical to the franchise, even though those events haven't technically happened yet, you're going to have a hard time retconning Storm and Nightcrawler into good guys after this without everyone having their memories wiped, which is a shit cop-out. Also, Mystique being an X-Man in this one but an out-and-out bad guy in the original with clearly no connection to Charles at all.

Unless, of course, this film is actually going to kick off the Age of Apocalypse universe reset, but that would lead to some fucking weird X-Men films.

Glebe

How James Cameron Fixed The Ending To X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

QuoteI sent a cut of the movie, Days of Future Past, to James Cameron, almost finished, rough, but almost done, because I value his advice, and I pitched my time travel concept to him when I was at a party at Peter Jackson's.

So I send the film to Jim, and at the end the movie, when Wolverine woke up, originally my editor was obsessed with this visual blurriness, so when Wolverine is walking around, he's seeing things in a blurriness, so I sent that to Jim and Jim called me, and so he called up and Jim goes, Bryan, that blurry thing made me think that the wool was going to be pulled out from under me and I was not satisfied. I thought it was going to be, it was a lie, and it failed, it would all be dark, something, and then suddenly it was ok, and I, so I pulled the effect and it was the only note Jim gave me that, he gave me. He gave me no other note. He said, "I love the movie, it's going to be great, but please let the audience enjoy the fact that it all turned out ok in that future," and so I pulled the effect off.

Righto!

Custard

Quote from: Mister Six on December 13, 2015, 03:08:33 PM
Yeah, it's already been rebooted. McAvoy's new Cyclops, Jean etc will be treated as the canonical ones from here on out, and any continuity problems can be easily ignored (as they were anyway, with multiple versions of Beast, Xavier's unexplained return to Patrick Stewart's body, etc etc).
McAvoy is the new Professor X. Cyclops is another character, who was played by James Marsden

Dead. I think. Who knows at this point?

Glebe

AsparagusTrevor

The Roofdog

Will we find out what happens when a toad is rained on

KennyMonster

Quote from: madhair60 on December 14, 2015, 10:23:16 AM

They sound like freaks, probably Mutants.

Glebe

Only really skimmed this, but it's a fairly meaty interview, so guess it's worth a post:

'X-Men: Apocalypse': Alexandra Shipp on Storm's Mohawk, Black Panther Connection, and More.

Dr Rock

Kelvin

The advertising for this film hasn't done a great job of selling it so far, but I'm certain that with Singer directing, it'll be the best Superhero film of the year. I mentioned it elsewhere in the thread, but I love the way he uses colour in some of the shots - the bright oranges, reds and purples clashing with the drained greens and cold blues. They really do look like brightly coloured comic book characters, in a way no other comic book film has captured.

I also think Singer might be the best director of action set pieces since Steven Spielberg. He just understands how to make action beats memorable and distinctive. It's a shame that in an age of shared comic book universes, these films are the ones audiences seem least interested in.

madhair60

Easily the best trailer so far. Love the way it actually feels like a comic book, as Kelvin noted.

Not crazy about some of the CGI still, but this seems to be coming together.

I dunno..

Who is actually the X-Men this time? There's a lot of faces I don't recognise here. A lot of D-list Marvel characters. Whose the bloke firing the circles out his chest, fucking Havoc? Yeah, we were all clamouring for that one.

And there's some random woman on the Blackbird who appears to be an X-Man but doesn't do anything? Given she appears after Cyclops in the opening I'm going to assume this is our new Jean Grey? She looks nothing like Famke Janssen. She looks nothing like someone who might age into Famke Janssen. Which is fine, but why even end Days of Future Past with "hey, original Cyclops and Jean Grey are alive!" if we're actually rebooting completely.

Meaningful, serious Coldplay cover? Fuck off.

At 1:32 there's a shot of the team on the Blackbird. So the X-Men are Mystique, Beast, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Quicksilver and... middle aged woman?

Olivia Munn was born to play Mystique, she looks amazing. Really accurate to the comics, at least the comics I remember. Of course I've never seen her manage to actually act so she could tank it single handedly.

I'll definitely go see it but that trailer doesn't make me especially hopeful. Maybe I'm just old and joyless now but I don't remember trailers being so fucking shit even a few years ago.

Maybe it's Man Of Steel's fault. That trailer was better than the film. It burnt me.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on March 17, 2016, 07:03:56 PM
Not crazy about some of the CGI still, but this seems to be coming together.

The CGI in the X-Men films has never been great, tbh. Days of future past had some flat out laughable shots.

Take this scene for example: Mystique reverting back to her blue form and then kicking that guy looks awful, but the rest of the scene makes use of excellent practical stunts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6brMMmBMO4

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on March 17, 2016, 06:48:24 PM
The advertising for this film hasn't done a great job of selling it so far, but I'm certain that with Singer directing, it'll be the best Superhero film of the year. I mentioned it elsewhere in the thread, but I love the way he uses colour in some of the shots - the bright oranges, reds and purples clashing with the drained greens and cold blues. They really do look like brightly coloured comic book characters, in a way no other comic book film has captured.

I also think Singer might be the best director of action set pieces since Steven Spielberg. He just understands how to make action beats memorable and distinctive. It's a shame that in an age of shared comic book universes, these films are the ones audiences seem least interested in.

I don't get the love for Singer at all, his X-men films are often too long and ponderous, and the only one I've really enjoyed in the series was Vaughan's First Class.

Kelvin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 17, 2016, 07:22:19 PM
I don't get the love for Singer at all, his X-men films are often too long and ponderous, and the only one I've really enjoyed in the series was Vaughan's First Class.

I think Singer's amongst the best directors of modern action films. He understands how to balance characters and spectacle, knows how to direct action and has an unrivaled eye for a memorable visual image. Of his three X-Men films, the first is okay, but effectively defined modern Superhero films, the second is a near perfect example of how to make a Hollywood blockbuster, and the third, DOFP, is a string of superb and memorable sequences hung from a daft central idea. Compared to the banal superficiality of the Disney films or the over-earnest tone of the expanding DC universe, Singer's films are a perfect balancing act of everything that's good about both. 

Kelvin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 17, 2016, 07:22:19 PM
the only one I've really enjoyed in the series was Vaughan's First Class.

I like First Class, but I dislike how they handled the Magneto arc. At no point did I ever believe he was legitimately tempted to change his ways or join Xavier. He basically ends the film exactly how he started, but with no sense that he struggled with his choices. Maybe I need to watch it again. I haven't seen it since it came out.

Tiny Poster

First Class was enjoyable, but has a lot of clunky bits, like the scene where they're all giving each other their X-Men names. Also:

QuoteHank: I, uh... I call it Cerebro.
Charles
: You... (Chuckles)
Hank
: As in the Spanish for "brain."
Charles
: Yes

Thanks, Hank! Thank.

Glebe

I dunno, I still hold out hope for the movie itself, but I'm not that impressed with the trailers so far. Too much sound and fury, not enough drama and intrigue.

madhair60

I hold X-Men 2 (X2: X-Men United if you're a tank) up there as one of the best comic book movies. It's absolutely joyous. It has that perfect melodramatic feel of the best Claremont X-Men, and Hugh Jackman is fantastic in it.

I only rate Avengers Assemble above it, but I freely admit that's largely down to fanservice and wish-fulfilment. I love Avengers Assemble, but it looks like Big Telly, not a film.

biggytitbo

Looks a bit far fetched.

I don't get how the younger Professor X character still has lush hair. He's completly bald by the time he's 60ish, yet he's late 30s in this and not a sign. NOT REALISTIC.

Dr Rock

He loses his hair in this movie.