Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

X-Men: Apocalypse.

Started by Glebe, December 12, 2015, 05:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 18, 2016, 11:31:14 AM
He loses his hair in this movie.

Lex Luthor will also be losing his hair in Batman v Superman.

WHEN WILL HOLLYWOOD GET SOME NEW IDEAS!!!

Blumf

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 18, 2016, 11:31:14 AM
He loses his hair in this movie.

Do we see him checking behind the sofa for it, whilst Magneto asks when he last saw it?

Glebe

Quote from: madhair60 on March 18, 2016, 10:22:49 AMI hold X-Men 2 (X2: X-Men United if you're a tank) up there as one of the best comic book movies. It's absolutely joyous. It has that perfect melodramatic feel of the best Claremont X-Men, and Hugh Jackman is fantastic in it.

I actually haven't seen it in years. Definitely due a watch.

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 18, 2016, 11:31:14 AMHe loses his hair in this movie.

Something many CaB forum members can relate to.

Dr Rock

I thought it would be a popular spoiler.

AsparagusTrevor

Custard

Is Spider-Man in this? If not, why not?

And Shrek. Is he in it?

Glebe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 19, 2016, 09:38:52 AMIs Spider-Man in this? If not, why not?

And Shrek. Is he in it?

No, but Sulu almost is, I suppose.

Bad Ambassador

Spiderman and Tim from The Office are in the other one.

Dr Funke

A few, not very positive, reviews are out.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Funke on May 09, 2016, 10:09:18 PM
A few, not very positive, reviews are out.

Yeah, very disappointed. After Deadpool, BvS and Civil War all being slightly disappointing, I was really hoping that Singer would show them how it was done, as he has in the past.

Glebe

Quote from: Dr Funke on May 09, 2016, 10:09:18 PMA few, not very positive, reviews are out.

I've just done a quick scout around via my favourites 'movies' folder... doesn't sound good. Even Empire have only given it two stars, although Harry Knowles is (surprise, surprise) very happy with it, it seems. They must have felt pretty confident previewing it so early for the critics, but that's obviously backfired. Have to say, the trailers are shite. I'll probably go and see it, but I know I won't like it. And Bryan Singer is possibly a diddler, so there's that to make you squirm.

I'll definitely see it, if only for Wolverine and Olivia Munn's flawless-looking(at least) Psylocke, who I never thought I'd see in a feature film when I was into X-Men comics 20 years ago. What a time to be alive.

Chances of it being better than Civil War are zero, but it should be more fun than BvS.

Dr Rock

The Guardian give it a fairly warm review (3/5 stars). No major criticisms.

Hollow

They should stop making so many of these, they are running it into the ground.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 10, 2016, 02:25:54 AM
I'll definitely see it, if only for Wolverine
I thought he wasn't in it.

Quote from: Hollow on May 10, 2016, 11:55:12 AM
They should stop making so many of these, they are running it into the ground.
They're not taking full advantage of it. The Xmen cartoon had them going into space, fighting dinosaurs and suchlike. The films have mostly just been about that one oppression metaphor. Worthy subject matter, but they could get more creative with it.

Hollow

I just don't know how well any of the more fantastical comics work live action, as you rightly say, they are not making the most of the concept.

But there's too many being made, it seems like about one a month.

If they'd shown some restraint, this coming backlash would take a lot longer.

Kelvin

Quote from: Hollow on May 10, 2016, 12:25:11 PM
But there's too many being made, it seems like about one a month.

If they'd shown some restraint, this coming backlash would take a lot longer.

What you call running into the ground, they call making the most of it.

The love for these comic book films won't last forever, so they want to make as many as they can before time runs out on it. So long as some of these films continue to please the critics and audiences, they aren't going anywhere. Deadpool and Civil War have both been huge successes. I do wonder if people will start to become more selective in the next few years, though. Maybe less willing to try new characters, or watch sequels to films that weren't so good.

Dr Rock

Marvel have dropped The Inhumans now. Hope you're happy Hollow, thanks a bunch.

Hollow

Quote from: Kelvin on May 10, 2016, 12:30:50 PM
What you call running into the ground, they call making the most of it.

The love for these comic book films won't last forever, so they want to make as many as they can before time runs out on it. So long as some of these films continue to please the critics and audiences, they aren't going anywhere. Deadpool and Civil War have both been huge successes. I do wonder if people will start to become more selective in the next few years, though. Maybe less willing to try new characters, or watch sequels to films that weren't so good.

Milking it would be another way of putting it.

I like a good superhero movie, don't get me wrong, i just worry about greed and overfamiliarity.

Hollow

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 10, 2016, 12:32:16 PM
Marvel have dropped The Inhumans now. Hope you're happy Hollow, thanks a bunch.

Soz.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Hollow on May 10, 2016, 12:25:11 PM
I just don't know how well any of the more fantastical comics work live action
Well aliens and dinosaurs both do. Perhaps it's only when Chris Pratt is involved.

Kelvin

Quote from: Hollow on May 10, 2016, 12:35:05 PM
Milking it would be another way of putting it.

I like a good superhero movie, don't get me wrong, i just worry about greed and overfamiliarity.

No, I agree with you. I've already stopped going to see every comic book film, unless it's characters I like or a concept that really interests me. I know I love the X-Men films, so I'll give Apocalypse a try. I really liked Cap 2, so I wanted to see Civil War. I love Batman and Superman, so I went to see BvS. But Ant-Man, Dr Strange... I'm done giving these films the benefit of the doubt and finding they look and feel almost exactly the same.

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 10, 2016, 12:32:16 PM
Marvel have dropped The Inhumans now.

That means X-Men franchise is moving to the MCU. Guaranteed.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 11, 2016, 02:25:24 AM
That means X-Men franchise is moving to the MCU. Guaranteed.

No, it doesn't (and that's not going to happen, unless X-Men: Apocalypse absolutely bombs, along with the upcoming Wolverine film and the next Deadpool). The Inhumans were almost certainly dropped because they feature in the Agents of Shield TV show, and there are notorious tensions between Kevin Feige, who runs the Marvel films, and the guy who runs the TV side. If anything, it suggests an Inhumans spin-off TV show might be in the works. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on May 10, 2016, 12:47:31 PM
No, I agree with you. I've already stopped going to see every comic book film, unless it's characters I like or a concept that really interests me. I know I love the X-Men films, so I'll give Apocalypse a try. I really liked Cap 2, so I wanted to see Civil War. I love Batman and Superman, so I went to see BvS. But Ant-Man, Dr Strange... I'm done giving these films the benefit of the doubt and finding they look and feel almost exactly the same.

Ant-Man's actually not too bad (though I do have a man crush on Paul Rudd, admittedly), but it is basically a fairly low key comedy heist movie, and only gets really good during the final climatic (and slightly ridiculous) set piece. It's worth watching, but only if you don't pay to do so.

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 11, 2016, 08:50:24 PM
Guaranteed.

I'd be really surprised if that were the case as it's been a lucrative property for Fox, Marvel would have to offer them a fuck load to get it back, and even then it'd probably still be a co-production akin to the forthcoming Spiderman reboot.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 11, 2016, 08:56:28 PMAnt-Man's actually not too bad

There are a couple of chuckles but I found it quite annoying on the whole.

olliebean

I thought Ant-Man was all the better for not being weighed down with loads of MCU crap, and would have been better still if it hadn't had any MCU stuff at all.