Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Beyond (the pale? a joke?)

Started by mothman, December 14, 2015, 06:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I saw it. I enjoyed it. Best of the new films I think. I really liked the camera floating all over the place and the disorientation of the crashing Enterprise. I loved the Beastie Boys bit but I am a sucker for that sort of shit. The baddie's motivation was a bit weak after an intriguing build-up but I can get over that. Every appearance of Checkov made me sad though

mothman

Yeah, I struggled with "Kraal's" motivation. I liked the callback to the MACOs but I couldn't see the former leader (or a senior of them anyway) being given command of a prototype starship when he's got major PTSD issues. Then they crash in a place they'll never be found and his paranoia turns to resentment. Yet he's somehow able to convince some - or all? - of his crew to go along with his mad scheme for revenge (I think it's meant to be implied that in fact most of the crew were used as batteries to keep him and his cronies alive until they started getting aliens to use, with the obvious side effects; but I read that somewhere, I don't know if it's that blatant in the film). And then you have the convenience of them finding this magical (if flawed) life-extension method in the first place - that, and the handy swarm of hive-minded/remote-controlled robots and their pointy ships...

Curiously enough the plotline - stranded MACOs, alien hive minds - reminded me of a recent Trek novel trilogy that explains the origin of the Borg: the USS Columbia NX-02 back in the 2150s discovers a poweful alien race who refuse to let them leave to preserve their secrets and safety. A rogue group of MACOs on board attempt an escape, causkng massive damage to the alien civilisation, but also throwing themselves and a few aliens back in time where they're stranded on a desolate ice world. One surviving alien comes up with a way of controlling the MACOs to ensure his own survival - by turning them into hive-minded drones, using nanoprobes...

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on October 01, 2016, 09:15:39 PM
Yeah, I struggled with "Kraal's" motivation. I liked the callback to the MACOs but I couldn't see the former leader (or a senior of them anyway) being given command of a prototype starship when he's got major PTSD issues. Then they crash in a place they'll never be found and his paranoia turns to resentment. Yet he's somehow able to convince some - or all? - of his crew to go along with his mad scheme for revenge (I think it's meant to be implied that in fact most of the crew were used as batteries to keep him and his cronies alive until they started getting aliens to use, with the obvious side effects; but I read that somewhere, I don't know if it's that blatant in the film). And then you have the convenience of them finding this magical (if flawed) life-extension method in the first place - that, and the handy swarm of hive-minded/remote-controlled robots and their pointy ships...

Curiously enough the plotline - stranded MACOs, alien hive minds - reminded me of a recent Trek novel trilogy that explains the origin of the Borg: the USS Columbia NX-02 back in the 2150s discovers a poweful alien race who refuse to let them leave to preserve their secrets and safety. A rogue group of MACOs on board attempt an escape, causkng massive damage to the alien civilisation, but also throwing themselves and a few aliens back in time where they're stranded on a desolate ice world. One surviving alien comes up with a way of controlling the MACOs to ensure his own survival - by turning them into hive-minded drones, using nanoprobes...

Ah bollocks. Might as well stop reading now!

Dropshadow

I'm surprised I quite enjoyed this film, easily the best of the "new" trilogy. Didn't like Krall much - too bog-standard Hollywood/Trek badguy for me. Good points were the absence of the ridiculous Spock-Uhura relationship and we'll never see Chekov again ("Kiptin! Kiptin!Ve are goo-eeng to crash zee sheep", etc). Shame the actor died and all that, but that's life. And Pegg's face-punchable presence, of course. Hope the next one's as good and maybe they'll get to the end without destroying the Enterprise again.

mothman

Quote from: Malcy on October 01, 2016, 10:30:32 PM
Ah bollocks. Might as well stop reading now!

You weren't missing much, honestly. What I was wondering was whether Pegg, SF fan that he is, might have read it...

Glebe

mothman

^ Good article that. Better that the usual "How We Made..." articles you often see (the Grauniad is a particular culprit).

Jack Shaftoe

I like it when the Guardian do a 'How We Made Film X' type thing, but don't actually think to mention the writer.

checkoutgirl

I watched this the other day and I think everything about it was top notch apart from the story which was extremely run of the mill. I'm no expert on Star Trek by any means but it felt like classic Star Trek. The music, the interplay, the we've nae more power cap'n and all that.   

At the same time I hope they stop making them.

Blumf

That's what has been so frustrating about these reboot films; they look great, the actors are right for the job, seeing the ships jumping to warp is wonderful. But... the stories are naff, no heart to them, so we all shrug.

Such a waste.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on November 25, 2016, 07:00:14 PM
That's what has been so frustrating about these reboot films; they look great, the actors are right for the job, seeing the ships jumping to warp is wonderful. But... the stories are naff, no heart to them, so we all shrug.

Such a waste.

It's tricky because they have to please the crowd and bring in the dollareedoos. If they start getting all metaphysical and inventive it might alienate 200 million dollars worth of sales. Having said that a little more invention wouldn't have killed them. The plots just don't capture the imagination.

The actors look like they're having a good time and there's a certain amount of panache and good special effects but the story just doesn't make me care that much about what happens to the characters, there's no surprises and you can see the conclusion a mile off. Which deflates the experience somewhat. I suppose it's something we'll have to either get used to or stop watching the big budget spectaculars.

But we won't will we? We'll still get dragged into the hype or the brand or whatever. I'm no trekkie but I've watched all the new Star Trek films out of pure curiosity, just to see what they did with these old characters.

kidsick5000

I just watched it last night (on offer in itunes) and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Many others may have said this already but I've been Spoiler avoiding, but I actually liked the reason for the Sabotage to be included.
Though I do wonder if Simon Pegg was influenced by this fantastic slice of french redubbing.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbpdm_star-trek-nique-la-patate_creation

I liked that the villain and his motives were secondary to the crew just surviving, though maybe keeping Idris Elba under wraps may have helped in the big reveal.

The only thing that really irked me was Spock's hair which too Beatlesy

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on November 24, 2016, 06:12:17 PM^ Good article that. Better that the usual "How We Made..." articles you often see (the Grauniad is a particular culprit).

And another!

'Star Trek IV' Writer on Eddie Murphy's Lost Role and Film's Rewrite Drama.

Glebe

EXCLUSIVE: Adam Nimoy Talks "What We Left Behind," Directing, and Spock Appearing in Future Trek.

QuoteBringing Back Spock

TM:
Regarding your father, recent films have demonstrated the ability to bring back characters whose actors have either aged, or passed away, if it suits the story. With Star Trek: Discovery taking place during the era of the first TOS pilot, where Spock was serving under Captain Pike on the Enterprise, along with a fourth film potentially on the horizon from J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot, would you be open to something similar being done with the Spock character?

AN: Yeah I think it's an interesting idea. I loved what they did in Rogue One. I thought it was pretty clever, and I was blown away by it, frankly. All of the stuff that Peter Cushing was doing was mind-boggling to me. I'm a sucker for that stuff. I think it should certainly be explored, but I'm not the final arbiter as to whether it's going to happen, but I think it's a great idea, personally. There are more parties involved than just me as to whether it's going to happen. On a personal level, I think it would be cool.

Well, he's certainly okay with the idea of them 'doing a Tarkin', as it were. While I felt a bit uncomfortable about the CGI Peter Cushing in Rogue One, it was apparently done with the blessing of his estate, and a lot of time, money and effort was put into it.