Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Beyond (the pale? a joke?)

Started by mothman, December 14, 2015, 06:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropshadow

Well, the trailer looks awful. But that's what Star Trek films are. They're awful; it is the way of things. I'll still download and watch it, though.

I'm afraid the main thing that concerns me in the reboot films is the man Pegg. Every time he's on-screen I just want to smack his head. Hard. And now he's the scriptwriter? Fuck.

Glebe

INT.USS ENTERPRISE DECK.DAY.

ZULU: Ready when you are, mate.

KIRK: Full speed ahead, Mr. Zulu! How 'bout a little classic late-20th Century Beastie Boys?

SCOTTY (on intercom): Sorry to piss on your chips captain, but there seems to be a hull breech down here, och aye the noo. You'll be seeing a lot of me later, btw.

CHEKOV: We are being hailed comrade captain, and I do not think it is the wulcans.

KIRK: Onscreen!

ALIEN WITH FACEPAINT: Surrender or die!

KIRK: Fire up my motorcycle, Scotty - I'm going down to a planet!

SPOCK: That is highly illogical... captain.

BONES: Inhuman hobgoblin!

UHURA: Bring jonnies Kirk, I don't want to catch anything.

EXT.SOME PLANET.DAY.

KIRK: Alien woman, I have come to rescue and shag you!

CLONE WARS ALIEN WOMAN: Who wrote this script?

SCOTTY: I did - listen all a ya'll, it's a sabotage!

Quote from: Chairman Yang on December 15, 2015, 10:16:36 AM
Edit: So Roberto Orci is co-writing this which means it will make about as much sense as the previous two.

He's not. He wrote the original script and so his name, by law, has to appear as co-writer, even though the new script has nothing to do with his. He's explained the situation over at Trekmovie.com where he regularly posts in the comments section.

His script might actually have been better.

madhair60

Famous Mortimer

I'm also much more of a Trek than a Wars fan, if it comes down to picking one over the other, and...

I'm just ripping off the Red Letter Media line about it, but he said the best Trek episodes / movies are about ideas, the clash of ideas and matters arising. The two new films were just revenge stories, and while the first one was good, neither of them felt especially Trek-y.

Saying all that, I like Justin Lin and this trailer doesn't look terrible. I just wish they'd use Star Trek the way I want them to use it (at least I'm being honest) - a bit of humanity at its best, more thinking less fighting, etc.

greenman

Really the previous two Trek films aren't very far away from Fast and Furious style blockbusters and you could argue at least that Lin does extended action scenes better than Abrams does.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 16, 2015, 07:49:35 AM

Saying all that, I like Justin Lin and this trailer doesn't look terrible. I just wish they'd use Star Trek the way I want them to use it (at least I'm being honest) - a bit of humanity at its best, more thinking less fighting, etc.

I predict that despite the ramped up action this film will be closer to the "real" Trek than the first two. There will be some ideas addressed and moral and ethical concerns.

Simon Pegg didn't like it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4aAwa5wdg

And Justin Lin has been out to talk shop:

Quote from: Justin LinI really like his character because he's challenging the Federation's philosophy, and it's something growing up I wanted to see. He's a character that has a distinct philosophy. Sometimes I watch Trek and I see utopia in San Francisco, and you think "They don't have money, so how do they live, how do they compete?" Those are things that his character, in a way, has a very distinct and valid point of view about...when someone is really challenging a way of life, how the Federation should act, I can see – right or wrong – that this is a valid point of view, and that's a point of entry."

So I guess we'll have to see. Hopefully just a very poor marketing decision.

Alberon

Glebe

Shohreh Aghdashloo Has Boarded 'Star Trek Beyond'.

So Aghdashloo was in House of Sand and Fog... supposed be really good, but I've only seen bits of on telly. Does 'reshoots' sound bad, or is it just additional shit they gotta do? Still haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness, ffs.

Malcy

Quote from: Glebe on March 12, 2016, 07:37:37 AM
Still haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness, ffs.

Lucky you. I almost walked out half way through. The fact i was fairly well on and it was 2am was the only reason i stayed!

Mister Six

QuoteAghdashloo

Push pineapple, shake a tree...

Phil_A

Quote from: Glebe on March 12, 2016, 07:37:37 AM
Shohreh Aghdashloo Has Boarded 'Star Trek Beyond'.

So Aghdashloo was in House of Sand and Fog... supposed be really good, but I've only seen bits of on telly. Does 'reshoots' sound bad, or is it just additional shit they gotta do? Still haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness, ffs.

Yes, not sure what that means. It could be anything from "additional shit" to "desperately trying to salvage a shoot that has gone horribly wrong."

It is odd that this film is due out in a few months and the hype train has been suspiciously quiet. I hadn't even heard Idris Elba was going to be in it.

mothman

Maybe I'm not paying as much attention as I used to, but it did feel like Trekmovie updates weren't popping up in my RSS reader anywhere near as much as they did during filming of the first two. What there was just flipped by: they cast Elba, they started filming, they moved to Dubai, they wrapped. Then the teaser appeared.

Mister Six

I remember Pegg saying that the script was a lot smarter and less 'generic action movie' than the first trailer implied. I wonder if the reshoots are to make the movie more like the trailer and less like the original script?

Skip Bittman

I also remember him saying he tried to quit three times. Always the hallmark of a quality production.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Skip Bittman on March 13, 2016, 11:48:13 PM
I also remember him saying he tried to quit three times. Always the hallmark of a quality production.

But that is just in relation to him writing, not the entire production.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on March 15, 2016, 02:54:34 AM
Paramount Claims Crowdfunded 'Star Trek' Film Infringes Copyright to Klingon Language.

Silly stuff, really.
Yes, from THR. I don't imagine CBS is relying on the Klingon thing to win this.

I've watched and enjoyed several Star Trek fan films, but this legal battle is lost. They've admitted to infringing copyright, and there's the whole profit thing. Still, I'm sure the producers will enjoy their moment of fame, and I look forward to 2018 or so when "Flar Brek: Baxafar" is released.

batwings

So, Star Trek Beyond is undergoing reshoots and bringing in a new character. Probably not a good sign.

http://www.avclub.com/article/star-trek-beyond-boldly-goes-back-reshoots-new-cas-233693

Bad Ambassador

That they're have reshoots is not a cause of immediate concern, since that seems to be par for the course for major movies these days. That a major character has been added this late in the game, however, sends up a red flag the size of the Isle of Wight.

It couldn't be worse that Star Trek into Darkness, could it?

COULD IT?

Blumf

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 15, 2016, 12:06:31 PM
That they're have reshoots is not a cause of immediate concern, since that seems to be par for the course for major movies these days. That a major character has been added this late in the game, however, sends up a red flag the size of the Isle of Wight.

It isn't necessarily a new character. Maybe one of the actors didn't quite work out, or couldn't make the reshoots so they had to recast. Even if it is a new character it could just be a bit of exposition that is lacking or something minor.

Phil_A

Quote from: batwings on March 15, 2016, 10:13:48 AM
So, Star Trek Beyond is undergoing reshoots and bringing in a new character. Probably not a good sign.

http://www.avclub.com/article/star-trek-beyond-boldly-goes-back-reshoots-new-cas-233693

WE ARE LITERALLY DISCUSSING IT ON THIS VERY PAGE FOR FUCK'S SAKE JUST SCROLL UP

Sorry, I don't mean to shout. But come on.

batwings

Quote from: Phil_A on March 15, 2016, 06:41:33 PM
WE ARE LITERALLY DISCUSSING IT ON THIS VERY PAGE FOR FUCK'S SAKE JUST SCROLL UP

Sorry, I don't mean to shout. But come on.

I thought the original comments needed another pass, maybe a new character

Sorry, I somehow managed to miss that. Carry on.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 15, 2016, 12:06:31 PM
It couldn't be worse that Star Trek into Darkness, could it?

I maintain that Into Darkness is a great film up until Khan gets on the USS Vengeance/Protector/Enduring Freedom/whatever the fuck. After that, it has nowhere to go, and it wraps up very abruptly with an extremely poorly judged Spock Prime cameo[nb]that now serves as his final scene in Star Trek, when it COULD have been the ending of Trek '09, great job J.J.[/nb], a turnaround of Wrath Of Khan but in a really pathetic way, a fistfight on top of a flying car and SUDDENLY to Kirk's speech a year later which awkwardly segues into the "Space, the Final Frontier" speech. It might cut away but it's clear that he's literally on that stage, saying "these are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise". Really stupid.

Everything up to then is golden (well, except for Khan's spooky reveal of his real name to a couple of guys who have never heard of him).

mothman

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/141057730914/do-you-know-what-the-deal-with-this-st-fan-film

Whereas Wil Wheaton comes down on the other side.

I don't know how much of his charges are correct, but he of all people would be the last to defend the studio given how much they pissed him around - or he claims, anyway. He's never been very specific about who exactly was responsible for his woes and always seemed to maintain he was on good terms with the most likely candidate, Rick Berman.