Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Beyond (the pale? a joke?)

Started by mothman, December 14, 2015, 06:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I'm on Wheaton's side with this one - I like pretty much everything he said.

Famous Mortimer

Nor me - it just seems to be a slightly more pro-Axanar site with a spin on the same old news.

I imagine, when caught for pirating "Star Trek: Beyond", someone uses Justin Lin's "Trek belongs to all of us" as legal justification, then Lin will mysteriously say he was misquoted (on his own Twitter) - it's a ludicrous argument.

Star Trek has been good to its fans over the decades, being extremely friendly to fan-created works, but on the proviso none of them profited. I've got no idea of the business model behind "Star Trek Continues", for instance, but I've certainly never heard of anyone getting rich or even making a living off any of the fan films or shows.

Like I said above, Wil Wheaton's is the most sensible take on this. A company was going to make money from a Star Trek fan film, and it was going to be several levels above anything that had come before, in terms of quality, acting and so on. I think it's absolutely fair that CBS is protecting the thing they've made in this instance, against a professional looking work set in the universe they own - there's case law of authors losing rights to certain sections of their own fictional universes due to fan fiction (I just had a look and I can't find the example I was thinking of, but it might be Marion Zimmer Bradley, or I might be talking out of my arse).

I watched the "Prelude To Axanar" and thought it was great, by the way, and would love to see that part of the Trek story told. But probably not by these people.

mothman

I know Alec Peters slightly, online, and he struck me as OK. Amazing collection of Trek memorabilia, mostly uniforms, and he's an acknowledged expert in the field (he curated all the recent prop, model & costume auctions). No idea where he gets his money from.

That said, the whole Axanar thing struck me as odd. It was so far beyond anything that's been done before. And the news he was going to star in it (as Garth of Izar), well, four words - "Taste The Golden Spray."[nb]Any understanding of this joke relies on some knowledge of Mark Wahlberg's pre-Boogie Nights film career, so I apologise for that.[/nb]

Malcy

New trailer at last, still not really doing anything for me......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzD8H6o1awQ

Blumf

I like the visuals, that shot of the Enterprise ripping through space with it's warp wake was great, but (echoing what Takei said about the first trailer) it really doesn't feel like a Star Trek story.

mothman

Also, incidentally, JJ Abrams has claimed that he and Lin have successfully lobbied Paramount/CBS to drop the Axanar lawsuit. Whether they have yet hasn't been officially confirmed. Guidelines expected to be rolled out specifying what fan productions legally can and can't do.

Alberon

That trailer looks better. It should stop some of the grumbling among Trekkies (you can never stop all of it).

I'm still far more interested in the new Trek TV series, though. It's a shame that due to business deals the Trek movies and Trek TV are totally separated for the foreseeable future.

mothman

I'm fairly open-minded with Trek. Ultimately I didn't like the last two as films in themselves rather than because of any real or perceived liberties taken against Star Trek, the concept... So, yeah, on the one hand it'd be nice to finally have one new film I enjoy; on the other, yeah, same - let's get this out of the way and see what the new show can offer us.

MuteBanana

Waste of Elba all that costume and voice altering.

Why does Kirk looked like he's had lip implants?

Jerzy Bondov

Karl Urban as Bones is the best casting in these. He's great in that new trailer, dispensing top Bones wisdom. A big improvement

Pretty cold to that trailer honestly.

I liked the piano-led soundtrack. I like the concept of this massive swarm of small ships just tearing through the Enterprise rather than your more typical ship-on-ship battle that we've seen a thousand times, although I'm not big on it being the 3rd film on the trot where the Enterprise is completely outgunned (4th if you count Nemesis, although it at least put up a proper fight and limped away at the end).

Why is Idris Elba doing an African warlord voice? "AI AM COUNTEENG ON EAT".

They seriously couldn't help themselves with that motorcycle jump could they? They actually put it in the 2nd trailer after the backlash it got? Maybe it's a positive actually, that there isn't really that many action scenes to take stuff from so they have to use it?

Another issue - haven't they basically given away the entire film with that trailer?
Spoiler alert
Film starts on Earth with the Enterprise having returned from a mission (bit odd given I thought this film took place in the middle of the 5 year mission) and "heading back out there", they get into a spot of bother, Enterprise is destroyed, the surviving crew land on a planet where the aliens responsible keep the crew of destroyed ships, probably as slave labour, the crew manages to find each other again with the help of a kick-ass alien woman, they manage to get a ship.. I mean we've got to be a fair way through the film at that point.
[close]

I'm more hopeful than I was.

Beagle 2

Ever since Simon Pegg went teetotal he's looked increasingly frail and elderly. Not much of an advert for it. Guy looks like he needs a year off.

Phil_A

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 22, 2016, 08:55:43 AM
Ever since Simon Pegg went teetotal he's looked increasingly frail and elderly. Not much of an advert for it. Guy looks like he needs a year off.

There is very unsettling about the gaunt, hollow-eyed modern Pegg. Reminds me of someone with a late stage terminal illness.

He looks like he's had all the joy in life exsanguinated out of him by Hollywood.

Malcy

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 22, 2016, 07:03:19 AM
Pretty cold to that trailer honestly.

I liked the piano-led soundtrack. I like the concept of this massive swarm of small ships just tearing through the Enterprise rather than your more typical ship-on-ship battle that we've seen a thousand times, although I'm not big on it being the 3rd film on the trot where the Enterprise is completely outgunned (4th if you count Nemesis, although it at least put up a proper fight and limped away at the end).

Why is Idris Elba doing an African warlord voice? "AI AM COUNTEENG ON EAT".

They seriously couldn't help themselves with that motorcycle jump could they? They actually put it in the 2nd trailer after the backlash it got? Maybe it's a positive actually, that there isn't really that many action scenes to take stuff from so they have to use it?

Another issue - haven't they basically given away the entire film with that trailer?
Spoiler alert
Film starts on Earth with the Enterprise having returned from a mission (bit odd given I thought this film took place in the middle of the 5 year mission) and "heading back out there", they get into a spot of bother, Enterprise is destroyed, the surviving crew land on a planet where the aliens responsible keep the crew of destroyed ships, probably as slave labour, the crew manages to find each other again with the help of a kick-ass alien woman, they manage to get a ship.. I mean we've got to be a fair way through the film at that point.
[close]

I'm more hopeful than I was

Yeah you can basically get the whole story from the trailer as far as i can see.
Spoiler alert
it doesn't start on Earth though. That's the Starbase Yorktown which comes under attack leading to the destruction of the Enterprise and the rest of the film. I'm expecting a brand new Enterprise at the end of the film. A plaque has been spotted that says USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A. Wonder if it will look closer to the refit from the proper films or maybe a new design completely...
[close]

Glebe

Away from the tragic loss of Anton Yelchin... here's the rules for making a Trek fan film. Bit strict.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 14, 2015, 06:22:33 PM
Director of Fast and Furious? No thank you. Star Trek: Beyond Even Simon Pegg's Standards Which Are Quite Low These Days. I'm trying to come up with something funny but can't as usual.
A year late, but the director of a film far better than any star trek film (fast five). I'm sure six and that first film he done are probably solid contenders too..

hewantstolurkatad

And yes, I'm including wrath of khan and the one with tim hardy

mothman

Spiner is doing himself a disservice: he's not looking too bad for his age. It's probably doable. That said, the limitations were plainly visible in Nemesis in 2002.

Quote from: Glebe on June 25, 2016, 01:44:53 AM
Brent Spiner on Reprising 'Star Trek' Data Role: 'I'd Look Ridiculous in That Makeup Now'.

Yeah, but they could digital his face up now.

Stupid prick doesn't even remember his line from Season 7 where he says he CAN age. Dumb CUNT.

mothman

The only way Data's coming back is via his earlier-model sibling, B4. Into whom he transferred his memories - in fact if there had been more TNG films this would likely have been the way they'd do it. And B4 being an earlier model, they could hand-wave any age-related differences away as him having a different construction.

greenman

Before the article even got to it I guessed the bent would be suggesting that Noonian Soong put in an appearance in the new films/series.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Glebe on June 24, 2016, 02:22:51 AM
Away from the tragic loss of Anton Yelchin... here's the rules for making a Trek fan film. Bit strict.

Whoa!  It might as well say "Just don't bother".

Where does that leave the excellent Star Trek Continues?!  Up shit creek without a paddle I guess, as they must violate at least half of those.

Quote from: mothman on June 25, 2016, 09:11:07 PMSpiner is doing himself a disservice: he's not looking too bad for his age. It's probably doable. That said, the limitations were plainly visible in Nemesis in 2002.

Indeed, saw him in Outcast the other day and didn't recognise him for ages.  But then he is sixty-bloody-seven!

colacentral

Quote from: mothman on June 25, 2016, 10:13:30 PM
The only way Data's coming back is via his earlier-model sibling, B4. Into whom he transferred his memories - in fact if there had been more TNG films this would likely have been the way they'd do it. And B4 being an earlier model, they could hand-wave any age-related differences away as him having a different construction.

I'm still aggrieved that those cunts killed Data.

mothman

Yeah. And if they had brought him back by overwriting poor old B-4's personality[nb]Nah, just kidding, fuck the squeaky-voiced cunt.[/nb], no doubt the same Starfleet regs that kept him at Lt. Cdr or lower for about 40 years would have prevented him taking his rightful place as exec officer of the Enterprise. So although there are two TNG eps where he wears Command red, we never saw him in the movie uniform variant.

Glebe

New trailer.

It all looks pretty uninspiring to me. Maybe it's just that big science fiction movie trailers need lots of explosions and people doing open-mouth screams and shit to sell them to the general public, but there's no hint of an interesting story in any of the trailers. We shall see.

greenman

Quote from: Glebe on June 27, 2016, 05:44:33 PM
New trailer.

It all looks pretty uninspiring to me. Maybe it's just that big science fiction movie trailers need lots of explosions and people doing open-mouth screams and shit to sell them to the general public, but there's no hint of an interesting story in any of the trailers. We shall see.

Visually that actually looks a good deal better than the earlier trailers but the main problem for me is that by this point Star Fleet as a whole has feck all substance to it., he joined it on a dar but you'd be hard pressed to find any real principles it was based on or what it was trying to achieve.

mothman

The fact that Beyond has its own pop song - something no Trek film has needed before - smacks of desperation to me. They're trying to keep their post-2009 non-Trek-fan new audience.