Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:41:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rush

Started by Krang, October 17, 2004, 03:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krang

Ok, so ive just come across this band Rush.

My ears have just sat through a 20 minute feast of angelic singing, speedy guitar solos,  swingin' baselines and speedy drum fills.

Can anyone tell me what happened to this band? From what i see they were around sort of late 70's and 80's.

Were any of the older whores into them? if so, could u recommend some of their best work (ive only heard 2112 so far)

Ciarán2

Spirit of Radio

...a record so great it deserves its own thread. Some trivia..It was featured briefly in Brass Eye - very briefly - when that stoat punching bloke is driving along in his big fancy car (although it is edited out of the DVD version). It was sampled by St. Etienne for "Conchita Martinez" on their "So Tough" album. Geddy Lee gets a spoof credit on an episode of Brass Eye as well.

It is the best rock single of its time (possibly with "Ace of Spades", but "Ace of Spades" doesn't veer off into cod-reggae territory - "Spirit of Radio" does).

I bought "Permanent Waves", I listened to it once, I slipped it back into its inner sleeve. I didn't listen to it again (urgh, sounded like Marillion...) - except to play "Spirit of Radio" over and over.

phalmachine

They're still around.  They released an album of rock standards recently and a live DVD.  You can't miss the DVD, it has a huge cartoon dragon on the cover.  It's available mostly everywhere, especially supermarkets for some reason.

The best album is widely regarded to be Moving Pictures. 'Tis good in my opinion.  It has some of their best songs like 'Tom Sawyer'.

Woohoo 100 posts.

Lumiere

Amazing drummer, amazing bassist.

Amazing bassist who's a heinously bad vocalist.

Oh yes, what IS that song that's playing in the chap's car in ANIMALS?

Fuckwittio

"What about the voice of Geddy Lee?
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?"
- "I know him and he does."
"Well, you're my fact-checking cuz."

- Pavement's little tribute to Rush, from 'Stereo'.

A fine but very silly band, from whose 2112 LP Ben Elton ripped off the plot for 'We Will Rock You', but don't hold that against them.

Neville Chamberlain

Tom Sawyer's good. I'd probably listen to them more if they got rid of that twerp singing.

Lumiere

But he's also the frontman - an amazing player. He'll NEEEEEVER go.

fbb bastard

the live albums "all the worlds a stage" and "exit stage left" are worth a pop.the former is full on kimono dungeons and dragons 2112 era in excelsis.the later more in transitional mode (you can practically smell the air drummers going crazy for "XYZ")

the mid/late 80's suited and buited more synthesizer orientated era is cruelly mocked. well constructed, excellently played mature but interesting AOR stuff like "hold your fire" and "grace under pressure". neil peart's lyrics (surely the singlehanded destroyer of a million drummer jokes) at his most concise and sincere and puberty finally finding the gedsters voice. top stuff

Tokyo Sexwhale

Not only are they still around, but they're still touring.  They played Birmingham only about a month ago.

I know this because I was in a pub in Solihull, and there were dozens of Rush fans in there at the same time.

cptwhite

My friends saw them in Manchester last month....

Chadwick

Is Geddy Lee related to Charles Hawtrey, I think we should be told.

Krang

hehe, He looks like the Creme Brule guitarist from League of Gentlemen.

Thanks for all the info regarding the band, im building my collection of their songs, and ill be keeping an eye out for their DVD next time im at the supermarket.

the hum

Well, well, a Stereo Excursions topic about Rush.  Well done that man for starting it, them being my favouritest band in the whole wide universe I've been far too shy to start one (I thought it wouldn't sink like a stone anyway).

I think Rush are a bit of a phenomenon actually.  For a band that get pretty much zero media publicity in this country they were playing sell-out gigs up and down the land recently.  I saw them, along with 8,000 others, at the Glasgow SECC last month.  Have to say that was the fulfilment of an ambition, and they didn't disappoint.  In terms of live rock acts I reckon they piss from a great over all the opposition.  What was also great was the cross-section of people at that gig, I'm only 23 but there were guys younger than me there.

Just about all their albums (17 studio in all) have something going for them, but I think my favourite has remained Grace Under Pressure.  Released in 1984, it's an unusually dark album for them dealing in the main with Cold War paranoia.  It's often shunned by die hards because it's "too keyboardy", well Rush with keyboards were always a more exciting prospect for me, and in any case the album still contains some of Alex Lifeson's best guitar work (solos on "Kid Gloves" and "Between the Wheels" in particular).

Oh, and I think you'll find it's "YYZ" fbb bastard. ;)

phalmachine

Quote from: "Krang"
Thanks for all the info regarding the band, im building my collection of their songs, and ill be keeping an eye out for their DVD next time im at the supermarket.

Finally remembered the name of the DVD.  It's 'Rush in Rio'. Info here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009PBJA/qid=1098098641/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-3242761-1317249

They give it a glowing review.  I wasn't sure myself, they all look a bit past their prime on the back cover.

All this talk has reminded me where I first heard of them: it was on Futurama. 'So it's Saturday night, I have no date, a 2 litre bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix-tape. Let's rock.'

Almost Yearly

I don't like to talk about it.

Edit: OK then < stands up, chair scrapes back > I'm a recovering Rush fan. I haven't listened to Rush for fifteen years. < applause > As a young drummer I was wooed by the mighty Peart and as a pretentious twonk I liked his lyrics too. And all the cleverness in general. I still have the Show Of Hands concert video. With Rush, it's a "concert," not a gig. Row upon row of air-drumming nerds. I obsessed on 2112, and I rather liked Signals and Moving Pictures. The later eighties stuff sounded too ..well.. eighties. When Kerrang voted Geddy the top keyboard player one year, it was rather funny. < sits down, sweating >

phoresy

I was hoping this would come up at some point (although I now seem to have forgotten most of what I was going to say). Rush are one of those bands that I listened to a lot when I was younger, even if it was only one or two albums, but have recently started listening to again. It started with me having about five of their albums for christmas (mostly the early eighties stuff) and just two weeks ago I started buying some of their mid-eighties albums. I'd initially heard some rather unflattering stuff about the latter albums, like fbb bastard but i was pleasantly surprised, I though 'Power Windows ' was particularly good.
I guess getting into Rush for the first time is like getting into Zappa, there is such a large diverse catalogue you don't kow where to start to get an accurate representation of the band. I started with 'Chronicles' which gives a pretty decent representation of the 70's and 80's work.  
Incidently, has ayone else heard Alex Lifeson's solo album 'Victor'? It's a little different to Rush (although there is a similar vocal stye through some of the songs), but it is really good, the addition of Les Claypool helps of course. I think it may have been deleted now but I could probably get it up on Soulseek if anyone wanted to listen to it.