Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Reviews & Discussion *Pew Pew*

Started by Crabwalk, December 17, 2015, 11:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

In Liverpool Waterstones today, overheard someone say 'It's an entire galaxy, and everything that happens is about this one bloody family.' Fair point, really.

greenman

Honestly I think Return of the Jedi is very underrated, people claimed Revenge of the Sith was better than it back in the day as well although that clearly stopped when the dust settled.

The Endor section is a little directionless and cutesy but then again so is a hell of a lot of Abrams film(and I don't think anything in that is as amusing as 3PO as the Ewokes god), the rest is almost all excellent with Tatoonie being nice an scuzzy as in the original, Yoda's death and the Vader/Luke/Emporer stuff arguably being the best drama in the whole trilogy, the space battle is probably still the best one ever filmed as well 32 years latter as well.

The power of expectation IMHO, following the best film in the series compared to following the prequels.

mobias

I've always loved Return of the Jedi. I was about 9 or 10 when Empire came out and I found it too long, dark and traumatic at that age. I was that bit older when Jedi came out and really loved it. The special effects were and still are incredible. The only thing I think is really inarguably bad about it is the so called neutering of Han Solo that happens during Jedi. The character really is just a shell of the ultra cool cocky self confident dude he is in the first two movies.

I've always been fairly forgiving towards the Ewoks. At a time long before CGI alien creatures they were perhaps a decent compromise towards wanting to have a massive non human race of characters that didn't just go down the Star Trek route of giving people a different shaped forehead. 

biniput

One big question that could give an idea to the next film and maybe the end of the third film to come is why have we NEVER seen Kylo Ren and The Phantom Flan Flinger in the same room.

Kylo Ren:

Phantom Flan Flinger:

biniput

The future is dark the future is custard. You heard it here first!!!

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 18, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
In Liverpool Waterstones today, overheard someone say 'It's an entire galaxy, and everything that happens is about this one bloody family.' Fair point, really.

Be patient, mate.  We haven't left the boundaries of the first four trilogies yet.

greenman

I'm actually watching A New Hope right now for the first time in awhile and just how witty Ford was really stands out, doesn't feel at all forced and does support much of the film. Really makes Oscar Isaac vanishing for 3/4rds of the film seem all the stranger as he did look like he could provide a bit of that and generally felt more "Starwars" than anyone.

Another thing that stands out for me is just how important the supporting cast is to adding weight to everything, Guinness, Cushing, Earl Jones, the guy playing Lukes Uncle and even the various Imp/Rebel officers. I think that really provides a strong balance for a lot of the witty stuff between Luke, Han and Leia which I don't think Abrams film had since as in Trek he semmingly disliked the idea of casting anybody over the age of 40 if he can avoid it.

Glebe

Again, I really enjoyed it over all... my main criticisms concern
Spoiler alert
the First Order, which is very sketchily drawn... and again, the Starkiller Base stuff was pretty weak... it pops up briefly, then is just blown up again thanks to Finn knowing it's weak point. It's like the end of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi again. Even an aging Nien Nunb is involved
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

I must say I liked very much the decision to drop into an ongoing story without explaining too much. I've already seen people suggesting there could be a young Kylo Ren film. Will we ever learn?

Replies From View

Don't worry, folks, I will post here when the redlettermedia review appears online.

checkoutgirl

Wow. What an ending! What a film!!

I reckon anyone with even a passing interest or residual affection for Star Wars will not be disappointed. And everyone else? Fuck 'em.

Replies From View

Glebe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 18, 2015, 09:40:39 PMWow. What an ending!

Spoiler alert
Yes, Luke Skywalker has been holidaying off the coast of Kerry all along!
[close]

Bad Ambassador

It's been confirmed that 
Spoiler alert
the stormtrooper Rey does the Jedi mind trick on
[close]
is played by
Spoiler alert
Daniel Craig.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Glebe on December 18, 2015, 11:47:46 PM
Spoiler alert
Yes, Luke Skywalker has been holidaying off the coast of Kerry all along!
[close]
I couldn't help but think of this during that bit: https://youtu.be/ABp-cZDGyZc

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 19, 2015, 02:28:34 AMI couldn't help but think of this during that bit: https://youtu.be/ABp-cZDGyZc

Haha, I knew what it would be before I clicked the link!

[FAKE EDIT]

Very flattering review (sans spoilers) from non-fan Mark Kermode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPHor1G-uqY

I wanna see it again right now.

greenman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 18, 2015, 09:40:39 PM
I reckon anyone with even a passing interest or residual affection for Star Wars will not be disappointed. And everyone else? Fuck 'em.

I would say that's exactly who its aimed at the same way Trek was, not really the hardcore fanbase but those with a passing attachment to the original films who want a decent blockbuster to watch once or twice.

Again though I question whether we should be happy with these low expectations, yes the prequels and the latter TNG films were awful but I don't think that means making a semi competent ADHD blockbuster out of those franchises is some massive achievement. Nolan for example took the previously dreadful Batman and turned it into something much more than that.

phantom_power

I am a hardcore Star Wars fan who has loved the films since I was a kid and can remember when I was mocked for it rather than it being an accepted thing, and I fucking loved it.

idunnosomename

Quote from: greenman on December 19, 2015, 06:51:59 AM
I would say that's exactly who its aimed at the same way Trek was, not really the hardcore fanbase but those with a passing attachment to the original films who want a decent blockbuster to watch once or twice.

Also children

Not a generic bash at manchild fanboys or whatever, but quite simply Disney didn't buy the franchise for a billion not to establish a new generation of fans it can sell toys to

Pit-Pat

I did enjoy it certainly, but the main feeling I was struck by as I left the cinema was of how strangely small the universe was.

In the Original Trilogy (and the Prequels actually) there was a feeling that the universe was enormous, there were a million planets and stars each with distinctive races and cultures. The cantina scene alluded to that quite expertly (less effectively in the Force Awakens in my opinion).

In The Force Awakens, though, Han and Chewie not only immediately find the Falcon when it starts flying, they can get to it immediately too. The New Republic, ostensibly ruling the entire galaxy, can be wiped out by destroying 5 planets all visible from that green planet with the bar. When Rey flies off to find Luke it's almost an uninterrupted 30 second flight. The Scottish gangster guy even alluded to it, saying to Han something like "You've run out of people to swindle". In the Force Awakens's universe I can take that quite literally.

There's also a problem with the sense of scale as well. The New Order's planet can absorb the energy of an entire sun which is apparently right next to it. The Resistance's forces are basically 20 X-Wings and that's it.

With the sense of scale gone it feels like a smaller, meaner universe with smaller, meaner stakes. I liked it in lots of ways, but I really didn't like that about it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phantom_power on December 19, 2015, 08:03:49 AM
I am a hardcore Star Wars fan who has loved the films since I was a kid and can remember when I was mocked for it rather than it being an accepted thing, and I fucking loved it.
Really? I'm the same and don't remember a single second of mockery for it. Perhaps you just weren't a very nice child?

Glebe

After the mania for the first trilogy died down around the mid-1980s, Star Wars was definitely quite unhip and kind of "What? You're not into that, are you?!" for a while. Then we grew up and became hipsters.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 19, 2015, 08:29:56 AM
Really? I'm the same and don't remember a single second of mockery for it. Perhaps you just weren't a very nice child?

I was an absolute cunt but that wasn't why I was mocked. I didn't mean I was mocked as a child, more as a teenager and young adult,before it was cool to be a nerd

phantom_power

Quote from: Pit-Pat on December 19, 2015, 08:25:29 AM
I did enjoy it certainly, but the main feeling I was struck by as I left the cinema was of how strangely small the universe was.

In the Original Trilogy (and the Prequels actually) there was a feeling that the universe was enormous, there were a million planets and stars each with distinctive races and cultures. The cantina scene alluded to that quite expertly (less effectively in the Force Awakens in my opinion).

In The Force Awakens, though, Han and Chewie not only immediately find the Falcon when it starts flying, they can get to it immediately too. The New Republic, ostensibly ruling the entire galaxy, can be wiped out by destroying 5 planets all visible from that green planet with the bar. When Rey flies off to find Luke it's almost an uninterrupted 30 second flight. The Scottish gangster guy even alluded to it, saying to Han something like "You've run out of people to swindle". In the Force Awakens's universe I can take that quite literally.

There's also a problem with the sense of scale as well. The New Order's planet can absorb the energy of an entire sun which is apparently right next to it. The Resistance's forces are basically 20 X-Wings and that's it.

With the sense of scale gone it feels like a smaller, meaner universe with smaller, meaner stakes. I liked it in lots of ways, but I really didn't like that about it.

I think the real problem with universe shrinking was done by the prequels, what with every twat and his hat from the original trilogy turning up. At least in this we are following, like the first films, a very specific battle in a larger war. Han and Chewie were looking for the Falcon, which is why they were nearby. For me The Force Awakens widens the world out a bit more, which is why I like the fact that we don't exactly know how the New Order came about, or what the Republic is.

As for destroying the republic, I assumed it was a bit more metaphorical than that. They have the weapon now that will destroy the republic so in their mind demonstrating its power is the ultimate victory. That and the fact that they talk about an outer rim, which suggests a central set of planets that probably make up the core of the republic

Famous Mortimer

The only grief I ever got in childhood was when a big gang of us would get together every Saturday in the library and play RPGs. Every now and again, some group of cool kids would wander past and give us the finger or just laugh, but even that was fairly rare and we did it for years. It's not like being a nerd was cool in my home town, more like no-one seemed to give much of a toss what you did. Idiots were easy to avoid, maybe?

Anyway, Star Wars. I probably ought to go and watch it soon. Is it improved if I make pewpew noises during the battle scenes?

phantom_power

I don't mean I was mocked in the streets, or chased by gangs who pulled my Han Solo y-fronts over my head or anything. It just wasn't as socially acceptable to be over 13 and into Star Wars and comic books

mobias

Quote from: greenman on December 19, 2015, 06:51:59 AM

Again though I question whether we should be happy with these low expectations, yes the prequels and the latter TNG films were awful but I don't think that means making a semi competent ADHD blockbuster out of those franchises is some massive achievement. Nolan for example took the previously dreadful Batman and turned it into something much more than that.

I think some people are being slightly over the top in their 5 star reviews of TFA and I guess once the dust settles a bit some Star Wars fans will be a bit more sober in their views of. That being said I think the big achievement in TFA awakens as far as JJ Abrahams is concerned is making a highly watchable and engaging piece of family entertainment and ticking a lot of boxes of what older Star Wars fans want to see in a new Star Wars film. I did read an interview with Abrahams where he said he initially didn't want to do the film because he knew he would have so little room for manoeuvre with what he could do with the movie and would also have to meet this massive mountain of expectation head on.  TFA isn't of course perfect but its a very, very good effort I think, within the tight confines of what he could realistically do with it.

I'm not sure I really know what a great Star Wars film brought out in 2015 would be supposed to look like if the TFA isn't it. Less choppy editing perhaps, in keeping with the pace of the original trilogy? Its not a deal breaker for me though. The editing pace of TFA just seemed in keeping with what audiences are used to in a big blockbuster movie of this type. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as some other movies so I did't have a massive issue with it. 

I also think what Nolan did with Batman was piss easy though compared to what anyone making a Star Wars film has to do. There is only one direction you can take Star Wars and you have to appeal to an a huge amount of people and tick a lot of boxes and in doing all of that you also have to try and be vaguely new and original. Its an almost impossible task and I guess the TFA kind of proves that in some ways.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: phantom_power on December 19, 2015, 11:13:30 AM
I think the real problem with universe shrinking was done by the prequels, what with every twat and his hat from the original trilogy turning up. At least in this we are following, like the first films, a very specific battle in a larger war. Han and Chewie were looking for the Falcon, which is why they were nearby. For me The Force Awakens widens the world out a bit more, which is why I like the fact that we don't exactly know how the New Order came about, or what the Republic is.

As for destroying the republic, I assumed it was a bit more metaphorical than that. They have the weapon now that will destroy the republic so in their mind demonstrating its power is the ultimate victory. That and the fact that they talk about an outer rim, which suggests a central set of planets that probably make up the core of the republic

A single battle in a larger war is exactly what this didn't feel like to me. I never got the sense that there was a wider Resistance[nb]The 20 X-wings were referred to as the entire fleet, there was no communication with an external Resistance and Admiral Ackbar was there with Leia[/nb], I didn't get the sense that there was any more to the New Order than a secret base where the stupidly-named supreme leader lived, and the destruction of five planets as being the literal destruction of the New Republic seemed plausible because there was absolutely no evidence at all that the Republic existed outside of them. "The Outer Rim" to me was a geographic description - the outer rim of the galaxy rather than the area controlled by the Republic.

That was my interpretation anyway, which did take away from the feeling of it being Star Wars.

mobias

Thursday

Just got back from seeing and I liked it. I think most of my issues are certain character and story things they don't spend enough time on, but that's presumably because it's the start of a trilogy and they'll get filled in later. So maybe it's less satisfying now and maybe it should stand better on it's own, but I think a lot rides on the sequels now.