Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,479
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best VPN?

Started by Ringside, December 19, 2015, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringside

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what VPN's come recommended? I recently used Mediahint for watching UK TV abroad, but between having to avoid the newer paid versions, and Firefox updating and disabling it, it's annoying. I thought if I can get a cheapo VPN we'd be in a better place.

Thanks.

wasp_f15ting

I pay for blockless, its £3 a month. Pretty great.

Robot DeNiro

I use Cyberghost.  It seems fine, it certainly unblocks all the sites I want to access.  I can't say I looked into it too thoroughly though, so there may be better / more secure options out there.  They appear to have a half price offer on at the moment, £22.50 for a year's access. 

Eis Nein

Anonymox for Firefox. The free version is fine for blocked video content which is all I use it for, 10 or so IDs in 3 countries. As usual with free services, comment and input sites will be blocked.

4.5 euros/month for the posh version. I can't vouch for it, the free one is fine.

wooders1978

I use private internet access - it's pricey but good

phantom_power

I use Tunnelbear. It is free for a limited amount of gig a month and then about £2 a month for unlimited, which you pay for up front for a year. It has android and iOS apps, as well as a chrome extension

buntyman

I just gave Tunnelbear a try. Looks decent and it seems you could make that 500mb go a long way if you're wanting it for Netflix as you can turn it off as soon as you've started watching the film and it keeps streaming it. No idea what that means in technical terms though.

Ringside

Quick question about viewing Netflix......is it the same login for UK / US? and is the content widely different? If so, it would definitely be worth splashing out on a VPN in that case.

buntyman

Yeah, same password, you don't usually even need to login again when you change region. The content is pretty different so definitely worth doing. I tend to use the handy website moreflicks.com to search for films I want to watch and it tells you which Netflix region to change it to.

hamfist

+1 for Tunnelbear. Saved my sanity when I lived abroad.

Ringside

I've used Tunnelbear before and found it handy. I don't care about hiding my ID if I download something from a torrent site (which I believe, TB does NOT do?), I just want to watch telly from the motherland.

Ringside

Quote from: buntyman on December 20, 2015, 11:04:52 PM
Yeah, same password, you don't usually even need to login again when you change region. The content is pretty different so definitely worth doing. I tend to use the handy website moreflicks.com to search for films I want to watch and it tells you which Netflix region to change it to.

I'll definitely have a look at moreflicks. Cheers!

dmillburn

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 20, 2015, 12:12:21 PM
I use private internet access - it's pricey but good

There's usually some pretty decent offers about to bring the price down though if you look around - the 2 years for $59.95 deal has been running for ages now, I think that's excellent value for the service you get.

surreal

There's a good list of all kinds of privacy tools here, including VPN which don't keep logs:

https://www.privacytools.io/

brat-sampson

Hmm, so I signed up for PIA as a test, but while it works fine on my PC and phone I was hoping there'd be a way to run all my network traffic through it in order to, say, use iPlayer on my PS4 (I'm now in Prague). I remember using a Blockless trial where that worked by changing some router settings... Is there a way to do this or is PIA the wrong choice for me here?

Wilbur

Getflix for Netflix etc country switching. Easy to use seems totally reliable and you can trial it for free and usually find some voucher codes to get the price down. Leave it a day or two after the free trial and they may send you a large discount offer to tempt you in as well. Then remember to cancel the autorenew tick box that is on by default. Also if you pay in dollars that usually knocks even more off .

Now has VPN included but I've not bothered to use it as yet.

https://www.getflix.com.au/

up_the_hampipe

Is Hola supposed to be dangerous? I heard that they sell your IP address and all sorts of hackers and criminals and paedos can use it for bad things. That could be scaremongering nonsense though.

Old Thrashbarg

They don't do that (as far as I know), but they do sell your 'spare' bandwith for use by companies willing to pay for it.

surreal

Quote from: brat-sampson on December 26, 2015, 09:48:15 AM
Hmm, so I signed up for PIA as a test, but while it works fine on my PC and phone I was hoping there'd be a way to run all my network traffic through it in order to, say, use iPlayer on my PS4 (I'm now in Prague). I remember using a Blockless trial where that worked by changing some router settings... Is there a way to do this or is PIA the wrong choice for me here?

Depends on your router - if you can flash it to DD-WRT firmware the instructions are here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/dd-wrt-openvpn

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on December 26, 2015, 08:33:04 PM
They don't do that (as far as I know), but they do sell your 'spare' bandwith for use by companies willing to pay for it.

Is that bad/dangerous?

prwc

Hola is very dodgy indeed, this site explains why.

Anyone know of any free VPNs that work with Hulu?

QuintinHey

It depends on why you want a VPN. If it's for privacy or torrenting, I'd go with a VPN with a strict zero logging policy. For watching American Netflix I use SneakFlix since most VPNs are blocked by Netflix.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on December 19, 2015, 10:08:58 PM
I use Cyberghost.  It seems fine, it certainly unblocks all the sites I want to access.  I can't say I looked into it too thoroughly though, so there may be better / more secure options out there.  They appear to have a half price offer on at the moment, £22.50 for a year's access.

Me too, but I find although it lets me access Pirate Bay, if I leave it on any downloads they take ages, so I sign out of Cyberghost and my media uploads muc faster. But that seems risky. Interesting at switching to some here like that are cheaper like Tunnelbear - do they have any drawbacks such as I mentioned? And as for Netflix, is their one that will give me access to the allegedly superior US selection ?

Famous Mortimer

I got NordVPN, which works really well for me. I presume others have this too, but it has a kill switch, so if it for any reasons becomes disconnected, it instantly shuts down any specified programs (say, torrents) which is quite a handy feature.

Not cheap, relatively speaking, but it's got some good features and excellent support.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm also on nord. It's about 2 quid a month with a voucher code if you buy it for a year or two.

Worth it for Netflix border hopping and browsing the cloud if nothing else.

I personally wouldn't use a provider in a fiveyes country. I recognise it's entirely possible nord (or anyone else) could be a honeypot though.

olliebean

Quote from: QuintinHey on April 07, 2018, 08:32:33 AM
For watching American Netflix I use SneakFlix since most VPNs are blocked by Netflix.

How does that work, then? Can't see any way to sign up or get more info or do anything at all from the homepage.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: olliebean on April 07, 2018, 08:23:15 PM
How does that work, then? Can't see any way to sign up or get more info or do anything at all from the homepage.
thats a spam bot btw

hermitical

As far as I can tell Nord doesn't support port forwarding - anyone managed it?

Famous Mortimer

I asked tech support the other day and they confirmed they don't. One or two VPNs claim to, but I've never had any luck.

hermitical

Does that affect the ability to maintain ratios on private trackers?