Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone like any of these people?

Started by Sam, October 17, 2004, 06:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Sorry, bit of a lazy thread but I was wondering if anyone's heard of any of these people I've been digging lately:

Tom Jenkinson aka Squarepusher

Really amazing fusion of electronica, drum'n'bass and jazz.

Kieran Hebden aka Fourtet

A lovely mix of warm melodic ambient music and jazz/folk/guitars.

Sonny Landreth

Cajun/New Orleans blues, tons of pyrotechnics and jaw-dropping musicanship.

Tuck Andress

Fingerstyle jazz. He plays bass lines, rhythm and melodies at once and has astonishing groove and rhythm chops.

Brent Mason

Telecaster country-rock. The best there is.

Anyway, hopefully there's something of interest there, seeing as a lot of people on this forum listen to ambient and guitar music. Have a browse on Amazon and try and download some stuff of P2P - I promise you won't be dissapointed!

I like what I've heard of squarepusher but he sounds like a tosser in all his interviews. Look:

Quote from: "Squarepusher"Ultravisitor is my spectacle of beauty and of terror. It is unknowable, and will never be understood by anybody, least of all its creator. It brings all the problematic figures to my mind that I have loved endlessly and yet remain as unknown to me as the first time I came across them

Hmm.

Jack Skellington

If you like Fourtet, check out Fridge, its one of Keiran Hebden's other bands. There are a few mp3s available on the Domino Records site. Please download the "Fridge- Cutup" mp3, as it is just lovely. It was also used by Morris on the first Breezeblock session he did for Radio One.

DonkeyRhubarb

Try and get hold of "The Music Has Rotted 1 Note" by Squarepusher. For me it's his best album, although there will probably be loads of you who disagree.

It's more avant garde jazz than dnb, he plays live instruments on it as well as the usual lashings of electronic weirdness.

Jack Skellington

Aye, he's a bit of a mean bass player. Very talented guy is Squarepusher.

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"I like what I've heard of squarepusher but he sounds like a tosser in all his interviews. Look:

Quote from: "Squarepusher"Ultravisitor is my spectacle of beauty and of terror. It is unknowable, and will never be understood by anybody, least of all its creator. It brings all the problematic figures to my mind that I have loved endlessly and yet remain as unknown to me as the first time I came across them

Hmm.

Heh, Going by one comment I wouldn't say that you could apply it to all his interviews, I also remember him saying once that if he didn't make music he'd probably kill people, so I wouldn't take everything he says too seriously. He is a bit of a mad one but he is also extremely good, 'Hard Normal Daddy' is probably my favourite.

falafel

Squarepusher rocks.

Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) produced the new James Yorkston album, which I haven't heard yet, but bodes well.

That is all.

Ciarán2

Er, yes. I like Squarepusher, Four Tet and Fridge. Don't know of the others, but will..."investigate".

Bah, Lew King. Poo off.

boki

Quote from: "Sam"Sorry, bit of a lazy thread but I was wondering if anyone's heard of any of these people I've been digging lately:

Tom Jenkinson aka Squarepusher

Really amazing fusion of electronica, drum'n'bass and jazz.

I'd say occasionally amazing, meself.  'Iambic 5 Poetry' is one my favourite pieces of music evarr, but...I dunno. I like his tune tracks best, but he doesn't do many of 'em.

LariumKills

besides "ultravisito," "burnin tree" does it for me.... autechre's "amber" is dong it for me too at the moment

cant get enough of godspeed you black emperor.....yup