Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music VHS and DVD (plus links to online videos)

Started by mr rou-rou, February 15, 2004, 10:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

yes bloody right they should, where is the new stuff, I want new stuff, it was a slow burner that album having heard the art star ep or whatever it was called. After a while I was playing it all the time or at least tracks from it, saw them in town and really enjoyed their energy and I want more.

http://punkcast.com/ has live footage of them if you wanted a nosy suity.

TraceyQ

I was thinking the same, it's a very old track for them to release. I don't mind too much though, it will hopefully give them some more exposure.  I want that dress Karen O is wearing very very much.

splattermac

I like Gold Chains (the artist not the jewellery), I like his little stocky body and his odd beats and gruff and raspy raps. In this one he wears a nice hat

*new* Gold Chains - California Nites (rightclicksaveas)

I think it's a romantic little number.

You can find other videos for Gold Chains here

There's also a DVD of his stuff, here

------------------------------------------

Bumblebeez, I got into these guys at the start of the year through their red printz and white printz ep's, it's a lo-fi scuzzy punk hip hop thing done by a group of aussies, a brother and sister and few mates.

I know there's a few whores into the bootlegging cut'n'paste DIY music thing so I reckon someone will enjoy this.

http://www.thebumblebeez.com/movies/epk.html (streaming quicktime, 15-20 mins long)

from their main site, http://www.thebumblebeez.com but that video is the perfect introduction to the beez

------------------------------------------

recent Patti Smith studio session for Morning Becomes Eclectic

http://www.kcrw.com/show/mb (realplayer video) , 30 mins worth

splattermac

http://www.yeahyeahyeahs.tk/

Yeah Yeah Yeahs DVD 'Tell me what rockers to swallow' is nearly upon us, yay :) well I thoroughly enjoy them anyhoo so I shall be purchasing,

I see they are playing Brixton on November 15th, that bloody London gets everything.

Dr David V

I am drooling at this on Play right now:

http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=rmtitle&searchstring=warp+vision&page=search&Go.x=19&Go.y=5

Quote01. Sweet Exorcist - Testone
02. LFO - LFO
03. Nightmares on Wax - Aftermath
04. Aphex Twin - On
05. I Smell Quality
06. LFO - Tied Up
07. Sabres of Paradise - Wilmot
08. Seefeel - Fracture
09. Aphex Twin - Donkey Rhubarb
10. Autechre - Second Bad Vilbel
11. Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy
12. Squarepusher - Come On My Selector
13. Jimi Tenor - Midsummers Night
14. Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
15. Jimi Tenor - Total Devastation
16. Broadcast - Papercuts
17. Jamie Lidell - Daddy's Car
18. John Callaghan - I'm Not Comfortable Inside My Mind
19. Antipop Consortium - Perpendicular / Vector
20. Plaid - Eyen
21. Antipop Consortium - Ghostlawns
22. Autechre - Gantz Graf
23. Aphex Twin - Nannou
24. Chris Clark - Gob Coitus
25. LFO - Freak
26. Luke Vibert - I Love Acid
27. Mira Calix - Little Numba
28. Plaid - Itsu
29. Prefuse 73 - Half Of What
30. Opto - Scientific
31. Beans - Mutescreamer
32. Jamie Lidell - The City
Let me just point something out.

Quote23. Aphex Twin - Nannou
I'll repeat that.

Quote23. Aphex Twin - Nannou
Oooh fucking yes!

EDIT: You know, I'm tempted to give this it's own thread.

RHX

Thanks for linking that, I've just placed my order for it... here's hoping it's as good as the Cunningham collection released earlier this year.

RHX

Just got this in the post today, couple of opinions on it:

The Mix CD is absolutely fantastic, and would probably be worth £10 separately. The Second Bad Vilbel video on here is the original edit, not the second version from the Cunningham collection, and the Nannou video isn't as good as I was hoping. However, well worth £14 of anyone's money.

Dr David V

I'm making my way through the DVD at the moment (had to take it back today though because the first LFO video kept skipping), it was money well spent! I do like that Nannou video though, it's very different to his other videos, mainly in that we don't see Ricky D in this one. That LFO - Freak video's great too. Seeing the Second Bad Vibel video was intreguing, I didn't know there were two versions. I did hear something about Autechre hating the video though, is that anything to do with there being two videos?

RHX

Quote from: "Dr David V"I'm making my way through the DVD at the moment (had to take it back today though because the first LFO video kept skipping), it was money well spent! I do like that Nannou video though, it's very different to his other videos, mainly in that we don't see Ricky D in this one. That LFO - Freak video's great too. Seeing the Second Bad Vibel video was intreguing, I didn't know there were two versions. I did hear something about Autechre hating the video though, is that anything to do with there being two videos?

The SBV that is on the DVD is the video that Autechre hated, but funnily enough I actually prefer this one over the "better" one. I'm gonna have to watch the LFO video in full soon, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Obviously it's not a complete videography of Warp's stuff, but there are some things I feel are missing, such as Aphex Twin's Aegispolis video (although the fact it's just pictures of a desert, and not really a video probably has something to do with it).

There's plenty of things they could have added to make it a "complete" collection, such as the complete Flex installation, My Wrongs (or at least a segment), Rubber Johnny (if it's even complete), although as there's no mention of Warp Films, this is probably why they aren't there. A DVD of live footage wouldn't have gone amiss either, and I'd have been very happy to pay extra for it.

Still, at less than 50p per video plus a very very good CD, it's brilliant value, especially considering the content - Remember, Come To Daddy and Windowlicker were both sold as videos for £7 each originally.

Ciarán2

Wa-hey!

That Warp DVD looks brilliant! First "Smile", now this...it's been a good day! I hope it comes out over here in Spain.

splattermac

Quote from: "splattermac"....
Yeah Yeah Yeahs DVD 'Tell me what rockers to swallow' ....... I see they are playing Brixton on November 15th, that bloody London gets everything.....etc

I'm still loving this band and it's been a while, this is just a bump to say £8.99 delivered, play.com all in with it's filler and 77 minute long concert it works out about 2 hours worth of YYY fan fun. Oddly the bonus tracks from the Fillmore concert have far more energy than the one they went with, filmed by Spike Jonze but don't expect any frills, it's just the concert and some backstage stuff with all the videos thrown in, £8.99 though!

Has anyone seen a decent YYY t-shirt knocking around?

Here's a nice big desktop of Karen O , here

splattermac

one for White Stripes fans,

Under Blackpool lights

Also it's showing at the Cornerhouse cinema in Manchester, and like it says you can also catch them in Jim Jarmusch's black and white multistory film 'Coffee & Cigarettes', which is also showing there for most of this month (one of the stories features Steve Coogan, just for the completeists amongst you)

The White Stripes in all their glory, captured on film at the fabulous Empress Ballroom in our own Blackpool on 20 January 2004. See it on the big screen in Dolby surround. And you can also catch them in COFFEE AND CIGARETTES...

16 November 2004 Cinema 1 [1hr 10m]
1.50 & 6.25

http://www.cornerhouse.org/

MrManson

Quote from: "mr suit"
Quote from: "splattermac"new Spike Jonze video for Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Y Control

what's with that? i know they played it on Letterman recently too, but the track's over a year old... surely they should be getting it together for the follow up to Fever To Tell by now? ('tis a lovely song though)

I much prefer Maps though, and been looking for the vid of that without luck. Good band, all the same.

Edit: Didn't see the link to the DVD, and funnily enough, the pic linked in that reply is from the Maps vid I do believe!

Spiteface

Last night I Watched the DVD of "We're Outta Here!" by the Ramones - their Final gig.

Great stuff, some good live performances, and archive footage as well.

I've put off buying it because I'm skint, but is Ramones: Raw" worth buying at all???

splattermac

It wouldn't have to try too hard to be better than 'we're outta here' which I did like but it was a bit of a chore in places. I'm not an obsessive hoarder of a Ramones fan but they are up there in my top five of bands I don't tire of listening to. I was hoping to catch their recent documentary 'End of the century' but I think the nearest cinema to me it was showing in in was that London!

I just read this about RAW on the Sundance page,

QuoteThe film compiles home video footage, tour shenanigans, celebrity spots, and live concert footage as a perfectly blended looney tune cocktail. Directed and edited by John Cafiero and exec produced by Ramone patriot Marky Ramone, the film approaches the documentary genre in a unique format. Raw steers clear of being painstakingly linear, and keeps the pace moving by jumping from one insane, childish antic to the next. No talking heads here. It is ripe with some of the best live footage ever shot of the band in their prime. The band's global meanderings, especially in South America, really drive home just how far the Ramones' cache stretches. The honesty of the film plasters a perpetual smile to your face. You get the impression that the energy and jumpy nature of their music is in direct relationship to the playful personalities presented in the film. Some notable appearances by Drew Barrymore, Bono and Grandpa Munster are obscure but essential. Rarely seen videos as well as the ever-popular Dee Dee King travesty – all caught on camera. In the end, this is the closest thing to hanging out and touring with one of the greatest groups in the history of Rock & Roll

I'm now wondering if RAW is aka End of the Century, either way RAW is available off http://www.torrentspy.com if you search for it.

p.s the White Stripes film (^above) was pretty good but a complete waste of time to watch in a cinema, odd concept. Plus the quality of the footage isn't DVD crisp, it's more on par with a super8. I've never seen them live and was pleasantly surprised to see how aggressive they are.

And for Wire fans, the DVD is out Pitchfork review here

Spiteface

"End of the Century" is a different film entirely. It's more a documentary about the band than "Raw" I think. I hear there's some interesting stuff that comes out in that. Johnny was quite disturbed after watching it. In a word, Dark.

http://www.endofthecentury.com/ is the site for the film.

Dee Dee King?? I have the original verison of "The Crusher" on my Computer somewhere - I'll have to find the webiste I got it from again...

the White Stripes DVD was shot on Super8. I've not seen it.

splattermac

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"thanks for the information RM, I hope this means my exchange with play.com will be a breeze.

I think you are one of the turbo jugend are you not?

There's an mpg of this floating around, if you have trouble finding it I can send you a copy, but it's not the best quality, but for a fan it's still good fun, some good shit from Hank and Happy Tom :)

I'd like the DVD but the Germans flogging it on ebay won't ship to the UK and I don't really want to import it from America, I think I'll get my German dictionary out and get begging.

another one, got it, watched it :)

Not brilliant in terms of image quality as I think it's all off DV. Interesting documentary all the same, although I didn't enjoy it as much as 'Turbo Negro - the movie'. What was interesting was that in TNtM Hank was this huge swaggering personality, in ResErection it starts with him in his isolated hometown* playing maritime music on the local radio station where he works.

Again there's a copy of it lurking should you want a watch, or PM me.

I got mine from Germany

*Moskenes in the Lofoten Islands, which looks a dramatic place http://www.lofoten-info.no/

23 Daves

Whilst we're on the subject of all this stuff, does anyone know of any online music video archives besides "Yahoo Launch" or "Clipland" (where the majority of links seem to be broken)?  I've only got broadband access for a little while and there's a lot of stuff I'd love to see, but most of the sites I go to tend to feature hectares of footage of the likes of Phil Collins and Eric Clapton, an assortment of R&B and Hip Hop acts, and very little else.  

A lot of the archive sites will only focus on the last few years worth of music with a little sprinkling of 'classic adult rock' acts on the side.  If there's even a small one offering other choices I'd love to hear about it.

That said, there's a rather marvy site featuring a video for Pink Floyd's "Scarecrow" here:

http://home.att.net/~ronkleim/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

mayer

I'm sure I posted this somewhere else a while back, but in it's appropriate thread

Special Needs - Francesca

splattermac

Quote from: "peet"Bjork + cats = odd

that's ace :) big smiles all round

I thought you were in Oz 23 Daves and I also thought you had re-registered under a very long name. Who knows if any of this will be your bag but I check in on this site from time to time http://videos.antville.org/

Neil

Nice to see you about Daves, and congrats to you and the missus.

Anyway, since I got my DivX DVD Player for Xmas I've been hoking through my collection of music vids.  I do love a good music vid!  Can anyone think of other vids that are all in one shot?  There's Rewind by Cylob, and You Worry Too Much by Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel, but I can't think of any more.

Has anyone seen the video for Tiere by Nina Hagen?  I love that one becuase of the facial expressions she pulls, very entertaining, and a bloody great song too.  I can stick up a torrent if anyone is interested.

23 Daves

Quote from: "splattermac"
Quote from: "peet"Bjork + cats = odd

that's ace :) big smiles all round

I thought you were in Oz 23 Daves and I also thought you had re-registered under a very long name. Who knows if any of this will be your bag but I check in on this site from time to time http://videos.antville.org/

Nope, I definitely never re-registered here at any point!  I disappeared for real, I'm afraid.  Cookdandbombd was blocked at my Australian workplace, I had no net access at home (travelling on a budget tends to knock such things on the head, especially where Australia's rubbishly expensive telecoms companies are concerned) and any Internet Cafe time I had was used for e-mailing friends and suchlike.  I'm staying at my wife's parent's place in Canada for a little while where they have fabulous computers and wireless broadband, but I'll be offline for a bit after that (probably) as well.  It's all go.

I'll check out the video site you mentioned though, thanks very much.  On with the rest of the thread...  and please, if anyone does know of any archive sites, bring them on.  More early Floyd clips would be especially welcome...

Rats

The Fanciful Norwegian

Forget her, Dokaka's in there too! Truly one of the great heroes.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Neil"Can anyone think of other vids that are all in one shot?

I think that the video to the Nick Cave & PJ Harvey song Henry Lee, was filmed in one shot?

butnut

And isn't 'No Surprises' by Radiohead in one shot? The one where he's in a tank and it fills up with water.

Jet Set Willy

Just about my favourite song at the moment, "Heartbeat" by Annie is being released as a single on the 28th of February.

I'm really hoping it will be a huge hit.

I first got this song off the excellent Fluxblog last summer, and my faith in pitchfork media was restored when they made it their song of last year! http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2004/singles/index5.shtml

Anyway, the video is available here

I haven't watched it myself yet, I'm awfully excited!

Jet Set Willy

Not a great vide-o, the truth be told.

I had a much better idea for a video to that song on the train yesterday.