Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Youth (Paolo Sorrentino, 2015)

Started by zomgmouse, December 28, 2015, 10:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Didn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd start one. The film was released at Cannes this year and is the next film of Sorrentino's after The Great Beauty which I loved. Youth was pretty good but not as good.
Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel are very good in this, they are old and it's used to great advantage. Rachel Weisz is great as well. Paul Dano surprisingly doesn't totally suck.
I thought it was rather good, some very lovely moments.

That said it is yet another film about old white male artists (Sorrentino's second that I've seen) which can be a bit boring but it was still nice. The only thing I properly took issue with was
Spoiler alert
the thing with Rachel Weisz and the climbing instructor, he was a total creep and I was fully expecting her to rebuff him and put him in his place, not fall in love with him, eugh
[close]

I had to shush some old ladies sitting behind me who loudly complained that they couldn't stand any more of it and asked for the time and said they had to go. Is that saying something? Maybe. They were. They shouldn't have.