Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:37:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marc Almond in intensive care

Started by rjd2, October 18, 2004, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Marc Almond critical after motorbike accident
Singer Marc Almond is reported to be in a critical condition after being involved in a serious motorcycle accident in London yesterday.

The Soft Cell frontman, who came to fame in the 1980s, was a pillion passenger on a bike that was involved in a collision with a car at the junction of Cannon Street in Central London.

Almond is currently in intensive care in a London hospital, with his condition reported to be critical. The rider of the bike was also taken to hospital with injuries that are not thought to be life-threatening.

A spokesperson for the City of London Police confirmed: "Both the motorcycle rider and the pillion passenger are in hospital. The rider has severe injuries and the pillion passenger is critical."

Soft Cell recorded a number one hit with 'Tainted Love' in 1981. After the band's split Almond went on to have a successful solo career, before reuniting with Dave Ball in 2001 to perform a tour.

Jemble Fred

Apparently he's gone from 'critical' to stable'. Good job too – fucking get well soon, Marc, and don't come back with Gordon Kaye/Rik Mayall style bulging head. Even if you haven't had a hit for two decades.

Unlike the continually popular Pet Shop Boys, who received a special Q Innovation award from Bernard Sumner last week. But then only a clueless twat would make any real connection between poor old Marc Almond and PSB.

It's funny how I never consider myself a Pet Shop Boys fan (they've done some great stuff, I'm just not usually that bothered) until someone comes out with some lame ill-informed criticism of their work.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Apparently he's gone from 'critical' to stable'. Good job too – fucking get well soon, Marc, and don't come back with Gordon Kaye/Rik Mayall style bulging head. Even if you haven't had a hit for two decades.

Unlike the continually popular Pet Shop Boys, who received a special Q Innovation award from Bernard Sumner last week. But then only a clueless twat would make any real connection between poor old Marc Almond and PSB.

It's funny how I never consider myself a Pet Shop Boys fan (they've done some great stuff, I'm just not usually that bothered) until someone comes out with some lame ill-informed criticism of their work.

Actually, Marc Almond has gone 12 years without a big hit, not two decades. He had hits with covers of The Days of Pearly Spencer and Jackie  in 1992.

And the pet shop boys haven't done anything decent for about 12 years either

I think the doctors should give him a stomach pump, just for old time's sake.

I met Marc Almond once, he's about the size of an almond - an astonishingly tiny man and no mistake.

Jacky made me hate The Walker Brothers as a teenager.  History and improving taste has made me learn that that was a blip on an otherwise flawless CV.  If anything, Marc Almond's version was worse.

This all has nothing to do with a motorbike crash of course, but there's little you can say about such things.  "I bet that hurt" perhaps.

Gazeuse

I think he's got a lovely voice...Good luck to him.

I remember my first night at The Faversham pub in Leeds in 1980...I went out of the bar trying to find a the loo and I had to step over a couple of blokes snogging on a stairway.

I've no proof that it was Marc Almond, but one of them looked very much like him. He would've been in Leeds at that time, just about to form Soft Cell.

Edit: Hmmmm...Looks like it is possible that it was him...

From an article about The Phono Club...

The infamous club in Leeds, where Goth is rumoured to have reared
it's pastie face, has been purchased from the old owners by several
original customers, and an original DJ.
Marc Almond Dj'd there, on the famous tiny dance floor with the
pillar in the middle, that is rumoured to have been the begining of
the GOTH 2 STEPS FORWARDS 2 steps Backwards, (that was all that
could be done without falling off the floor ) the Phono is mentioned
in the Mission's autobiography, "Names are for tombstones" as being
together with the Faversham, "The centre of Morbid activities".
Every saturday afternoon, and evening would see The Mish in one
corner, Red lorry yellow lorry, in one corner, Lord Eldritch in the
other, and ocasionally the 3 Johns, or The Cult lads on the floor
in a pool of Puke.