Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2016

Started by Deanjam, January 01, 2016, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Projected quarter-finals.

Serena v Sharapova
Radwanska v Kvitova
Kerber v Muguruza
Venus v Halep

Nobody Soup

I thought I'd wrote stuff in this thread but apparently not.

anyway, I think Berdych is a better bet for a first time slam winner than raonic, I can also see djokovic dominating pretty much every tournament until about wimbledon, he might be vulnerable there but it will take a herculean effort to beat him.

interesting thoughts on murray being in with a chance at the french. don't actually see how he beats djokovic on clay over five sets, but yeah, djokovic does crash out early he has a chance.

rjd2

Quote from: Nobody Soup on January 15, 2016, 04:56:27 AM
I thought I'd wrote stuff in this thread but apparently not.

anyway, I think Berdych is a better bet for a first time slam winner than raonic,

Get out.

selectivememory

I'd be amazed if Berdych ever won a slam. Definitely can't see it without some notable improvement in some aspect of his game. I remember this time last year a lot of people were hyping him up, and he capitulated miserably to Murray in the semifinal. If he does win one, it won't be this year's Aussie without a huge slice of luck - could well have to defeat Kyrgios, Federer and Djokovic back-to-back just to reach the final.

Anyway, good draw for Murray really, especially with Federer in Djokovic's half of the draw (not that Stan or Rafa will be a pushover, but he'd have a better chance against either of those two). Still can't see past Djokovic for the title, though if it is anyone else it'll probably be Stan or Murray. Stan has Milos in his section of the draw, which could be pretty interesting seeing as both have had strong starts to the year.

Rough draw for Konta.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That prediction doesn't take into account events, dear boy, events.

A few injuries and a good draw and Berdych is more than capable. see: Cilic

Deanjam

Even with 127 withdrawls, Berdych would find a way to lose.

Deanjam

Dan Evans has qualified for the main draw, which is a good effort. Will find out who he's playing after qualifying has ended.

Deanjam

Evans drawn against Feliciano Lopez, which is the second toughest draw possible (behind Ferrer).

Nobody Soup

look, I fucking hate Berdych, I really, really do, but there's no doubt that outside the top 5 he has the best credentials. he's been deep in slams before and he does have big matches in him. he is never in a million years defeating djokovic in a slam but he troubles murray more than anyone else in the top 20 who would obviously be anyone's next concern if they manage to avoid novak. yep, raonic has the game too and if he ups it might be a better shout, but tennis lately has favoured players in the 28-30 group. there's not a lot of boxes that berdych doesn't tick if you're looking beyond the obvious.

I actually like kevin anderson too, but I'm reluctant to back him as he's a bit of a stranger to the top 20 and he could easily plummet back down this year, probably lacks big game experience.

predictions for the year. (boring)

Aus: Djokovic
French: Djokovic
Wimbledon: Murray
US: Murray

probably won't go that way, djoko could well win all 4 but I'm going with a scenario in which djokovic burns himself out by winning literally every tournament up to the french then the focus on the clay season will begin to cause cracks. tempted to switch the french and wimbledon round though, quite liked RJ's idea of murray's chances in paris, I think djokovic fails there he's likely to roar back at dominate wimbledon.

I'm putting murray down for two for no good reason than davis cup success seems to award the victor with momentum for the following season. also, I reckon if you look at the all-time winners for murray to be sitting on less than 6 slams does his talent an injustice so he needs to get a move on and I'm going to gamble on him getting the right guy to replace bjorkman to give him another kick.

biggytitbo

It's an Olympic year and Djokovic desperately wants to win it, as does Federer. That's going to have a big impact on the season I think, might mean Djokovic loses focus around Wimbledon and us open, although it's probably a forlorn hope.

rjd2

Tennis has always had match fixing, its mainly limited to the ITF and challenger tour but sometimes you do get some blatant fixes on the main tour. Its something that tennis has buried its head in the sand over for years. I don't see much coming out of this either.

Deanjam

Yeah, some people getting excited by the 'grand slam winners' quote, but it's referring to doubles champions. No one really cares unless it's the top players and they earn too much to get caught up in match-fixing. Davydenko's the highest profile player to get linked to it but he was cleared.

Kyle Edmund's out of Melbourne. Lost in 5 sets after cramping. Guess those training sessions with Murray didn't help.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on January 18, 2016, 05:47:26 AM
Yeah, some people getting excited by the 'grand slam winners' quote, but it's referring to doubles champions. No one really cares unless it's the top players and they earn too much to get caught up in match-fixing. Davydenko's the highest profile player to get linked to it but he was cleared.

Kyle Edmund's out of Melbourne. Lost in 5 sets after cramping. Guess those training sessions with Murray didn't help.

Not to sure about that. Davydenko was in the top four when he threw that infamous match a few years ago. You look at one of the more famous examples of this decade and Tipsarevic was in the top ten where he had a "interesting" match with Zeballos.  I am not saying its widespread with the elite players, far from it, but its not just the challenger/itf journeymen at it.

biggytitbo

Wonder who the grand slam winners were? On the men's side about 95% of the singles titles were won by 4 players, who weren't involved so that doesn't leave many left. Where does it say it was only doubles?

Deanjam

Deanjam

Quote from: rjd2 on January 18, 2016, 06:50:47 AM
Not to sure about that. Davydenko was in the top four when he threw that infamous match a few years ago. You look at one of the more famous examples of this decade and Tipsarevic was in the top ten where he had a "interesting" match with Zeballos.  I am not saying its widespread with the elite players, far from it, but its not just the challenger/itf journeymen at it.

Davydenko (and Kafelnikov) have links to the Russian mafia so that would explain a lot. I'd be surprised if a top 10 player was being investigated but you never know.

rjd2

Quote from: Deanjam on January 18, 2016, 07:47:28 AM
Davydenko (and Kafelnikov) have links to the Russian mafia so that would explain a lot. I'd be surprised if a top 10 player was being investigated but you never know.

Oh no, I think Tipsy I think has got away with it, the horrid fixing, sexist,obnoxious cunt, but it was an example of back then he was definitely floating around the top 10-16 or so when he had that match with Zeballos in Russia (lol).

If its double players, its easy to look towards Italy, Bolelli and Fognini are the obvious guesses, both have involved in some mental matches over the years and Italy has always been linked to match fixing regarding tennis.

In Buzzfeed, they were saying a player is been investigated for fixing losing the first set of his matches, Verdasco is the first name that came to me as he has a reputation for it these days. He had a very strange match with Haas at the US Open and against Garcia Lopez recently.

BlodwynPig

Kyrgios vs Gasquet :)

Let's make all sport amateur again

Deanjam

selectivememory

I was only checking the scores occasionally, but I think she was serving for the match in the second set. No surprise to see she's lost. Pretty standard result for Watson in this type of match unfortunately.

Konta's match with Venus should be interesting, as she did come very close to beating her last year. I think Konta has a lot more potential than Watson. Reckon if she can play as well she did towards the end of last year she can make the top 20 this year. Very rough draw for her though, but by the time the French Open comes around I'd expect her to be seeded.

No surprise with the way Edmund fell away, especially after his match against Goffin last year where the same happened. Obviously needs to work on his fitness a lot more, but that should come in time.

Deanjam

Konta just destroying Venus right now. A set and double-break up. [nb]Cue massive collapse.[/nb]

Deanjam

Well there was a mini collapse! But thankfully not terminal. Konta wins 64 62. Big opportunity for a good run now.

Deanjam

Fognini having a breakdown again. Lol.

Deanjam

Dan Evans creamed by Feli Lopez 61 60 64.

Johnny Textface

Nadal out! Had a feeling that would happen.

rjd2

Astonished by that, you wouldn't expect such a performance from a guy who is probably implicated in this betting scandal to produce a performance like that. He was savage in the last set, he probably loses to Sela knowing him.

Deanjam

Thought the moment had gone for Fiasco when Nadal took the third set. Shouldn't be surprised though, he's just never gonna be the player he was again.

Of course he'll now win his tenth French.

rjd2