Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP David Bowie

Started by Viero_Berlotti, January 11, 2016, 07:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

phantom_power

I keep getting little snippets of his songs popping up in my head. Even more than usual I mean. Different songs from all different periods of his career, without any real thought or reason. It is like my subconscious is trying to process the information by listening to his songs

alan nagsworth

I'm finding this very hard to process, too. He's pretty much all I've been thinking about since the news broke. Currently listening to the excellent Nassau Coliseum performance from 1976, getting chills every 30 fucking seconds. Also reading through the 33⅓ book on "Low" at the moment. Earlier I was walking to the station singing "The Man Who Sold The World" to myself and out of nowhere I started bloody crying in the street. Just got home, listening to "Five Years" and here I go again, for christ's sake Dave. Unbelievable amounts of grief, love, sadness and awe pouring out of me.

fat_abbott

Just when I'd composed myself I watched the version of Ashes to Ashes from Live By Request, he talks to a little kid before they play it, and I was gone again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV95R9cdwhY

phantom_power

I was halfway through a book about Bowie in the 70s (The Man Who Sold The World I think). It will be a while before I can finish it off I think

alan nagsworth

Unsure where to post this, but as it's general Bowie-related news, I'm putting it here.

Visconti reveals Bowie was planning another album after Blackstar

QuoteAccording to Visconti, Bowie wrote and demoed five songs in the final weeks of his life. "At that late stage, he was planning the follow-up to Blackstar," he said.

"And I was thrilled, and I thought, and he thought, that he'd have a few months, at least. Obviously, if he's excited about doing his next album, he must've thought he had a few more months. So the end must've been very rapid. I'm not privy to it. I don't know exactly, but he must've taken ill very quickly after that phone call."

He also discussed Bowie's condition during an initial Blackstar session in New York. "He just came fresh from a chemo session, and he had no eyebrows, and he had no hair on his head, and there was no way he could keep it a secret from the band. But he told me privately, and I really got choked up when we sat face to face talking about it."

Bowie's health improved in the middle of last year, but after further chemotherapy, the cancer came back and spread in November. When Visconti asked him if he was making "a farewell album," Bowie just laughed.

Christ, man... Right in the gut, just as I was about to go to bed. Absolutely unreal. What a towering fucking beacon of strength that man was.

jenna appleseed

the full quote made me grincry
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/david-bowie-planned-post-blackstar-album-thought-he-had-few-more-months-20160113

"...Visconti noticed the tone of some of the lyrics and told him, "You canny bastard. You're writing a farewell album." Bowie simply laughed in response. " (eta:my bold)

devastated here - haven't got the words.
Was in shock/numb Monday til I read the other thread (& those lovely cunty tags - don't ever change cab) You let me be sad.

- then because it was linked watched the Lazarus video for the first time - I'd already heard it but...
enjoying the song & imagery (compulsively/desperately getting words down one last time before being force into the wardrobe/darkness) & grinning at "I was looking for your ass", combined with awing at him singing about being in heaven and the sense of joy/freedom glimpsed he shows in that bed...
plus suddenly along with everybody else noticing this was his full epic glorious bastard stage managed fairwell  ; and now it seems that after that he'd thought he was going to get a another chance to create more, that like The Region Legion says over in the other thead the video's now come true
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,51834.msg2732691.html#msg2732691

keep remembering/being reminded & going aw at
"You know, I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain't that just like me

Oh I'll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh I'll be free
Ain't that just like me "

Technique

For some reason on the morning he died I had on Radio 3 and just before the news whoever it was presenting said they would be playing something by him in the following hour, but I didn't give that any significance because Bowie on radio 3 didn't seem a mile away from some of the stuff I hear on there (bearing in mind I don't listen to that station often and when I do its late at night with Late Junction).

Then the news come on and from my half awake state I became very awake and very freaked out. The words Bowie and dead being placed together was shocking. Still is. Just looked at the wikipedia page and seeing words like was when it comes to David Bowie seems as wrong as anything can be wrong. Still.....

The Pistols Steve Jones recently has gone back on the Radio over in LA; here's a link to the show following news of Bowie's death. On this, he is joined by the other reclusive rock star Dave Grohl. In it they talk about Bowie and Lemmy and it's quite moving. And has an interview Jones did with Bowie about ten years ago.

http://www.955klos.com/2016/01/11/january-11th-jonesys-jukebox-with-dave-grohl/

jenna appleseed

Head Gardener