Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Waller FM (Fat-Pie podcast)

Started by BritishHobo, January 12, 2016, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Listen to Waller FM, you twats.

I'm sure this should stay in Comedy Pod Pod but FUCK OFF. Waller FM is back and it deserves some bloody recognition. Here are the facts:

1. Waller FM is great.
2. It feels, to me at least, the closest thing to a successor that On The Hour's had in comedy. It essentially does for regional radio what On The Hour did for news programmes.
3. It is fucking brilliant.
4. It's a semi-improvised thing between David Firth (of Salad Fingers, et al) and Christian Pickup, with 'em each playing a hell of a lot of different characters. It's properly stuffed with ideas, it's fucking breathless in terms of dropping brilliant stuff and not looking back.

Oh, why am I doing a list? It's great and the newest episode's just come out and just bloody listen: http://www.fat-pie.com/podcast.htm

doppelkorn

I've laughed already. Four minutes in.

"DO YOU DO JACKET POTATOOOEEEEEES?"

Famous Mortimer

I thought it was just noise, really. Is there anything more tedious and played out in 2016 than prank calling shops?

BritishHobo

To be fair, that's from 2008 and it's one of only two times it's done, both of which I think are in the first episode.

Famous Mortimer

Fair enough. I'll give it one more go, I suppose - good episode to start with?

Fun fact: Christian Pickup is the guy who portrayed Devvo, chav of the noughties

BritishHobo

IIRC, Devvo makes a couple of appearances in early episodes of this
Spoiler alert
and the end of episode 9
[close]
, although as a generic, unnamed chav.

doppelkorn

Did David Firth do Panathanaikos Bear?

I basically forgot that this little universe existed between about 2005 and 2015.

BritishHobo

Bumping this because the two of them are doing a live Waller FM stream on Twitch at 8pm tonight. I expect you'll all be there. I bloody will.

wooders1978

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 29, 2020, 07:26:10 PM
Bumping this because the two of them are doing a live Waller FM stream on Twitch at 8pm tonight. I expect you'll all be there. I bloody will.
Cool - what's their channel?

BritishHobo

Here it is!. Think you have to be a subscriber to listen to old streams though. Definitely worth it if you do - they're great improvisers so it flowed really naturally, and there were a few 'lost' pre-recorded bits. Quite liked the chat as well - you had a few catchphrase-shouters, but most people were good at being in on the joke (being Waller FM fans) without trying to hard to be funny. I'm such a fucking old man.

Episode 10 is coming soon as well apparently. Sure I remember Firth saying a few years back that 11 and 12 were in the bag as well. He's said he always sticks strongly to release orders, so finished projects sometimes have to wait a long time for unfinished ones which are due first. I quite like that. I fucking love David Firth.

wooders1978

Bollocks - seems I was a day late - thanks for the link anyways!!

BritishHobo

This is weekly now and all the live episodes so far have gone up on YouTube, so no need for a Twitch account or anything. I'm loving it. I can't believe we've gone from an episode every few years to ninety minutes a week. By next month they'll have doubled the number of WallerFM episodes.

I've tuned in to a couple live, and I need to make more effort to, because it's really fun, and they engage well with the listeners. Listener input seems to have an effect as well - people asked for more
Spoiler alert
Grandma Patty (the old lady prank call character they did a few times early on)
[close]
, and so they've brought her back and given her some more character and backstory.

David Firth's standard twitch stream is fucking great as well. Proper laid back, amazing playlist, super interesting watching him animate or paint/set fire to paintings and just a general nice vibe with the chat, gentle ribbing etc etc.

David is a good lad in general.

THANKYOU for bumping this thread. I loved these guys and had no idea about the podcasts even existed. Just listened to the first one and it was great. Is the new stuff likely to be available in podcast form?

Also, to those seeking some Devvo output, he is on Episode 3 of the Tiredness Kills podcast.

spaghetamine

Waller FM is not only probably my all time favourite podcast but also is one of my favourite bits of comedy anything, the attention to detail is absolutely nuts, easily on a level with On The Hour. Firth is almost frighteningly talented.

Just had a look at the Waller FM YouTube channel. It's billed as Waller FM: The Worlds Only Radio Station. Don't know why, but that really made me laugh.

Shit Good Nose

Thought this was Rik Waller turning to comedy and proving to be ace at it.

I am disappoint.

Garam

Have these been archived anywhere? I like Firth but haven't tuned into any of these.

robotam

They haven't turned up on the old podcast feed, so I keep forgetting to listen to it, but they are on the fatpie2 youtube account.

https://www.youtube.com/user/fatpie2

I'm working my way through the old podcasts from 2008 or whenever. There's a bit in Episode 4 (Down Under) where they are arguing about taps. I was absolutely pissing myself. It's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages.

BritishHobo

The pipes argument is incredible. First time I listened to it was definitely up there with the hardest I've laughed at anything. I'LL SHOW YOU BLOODY ROWING.

Making my way slowly through the live shows because I really want to make them last. I'm on episode 6 and I'm liking
Spoiler alert
the return of some characters like Welkins and "Shitty", who I fucking love.
[close]
God I hope someone in the live chat has asked them to bring back Saturday Matinee with Miligly Mafiligly Morgan.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 12, 2020, 01:09:31 PM
Thought this was Rik Waller turning to comedy and proving to be ace at it.

I assumed the same thing.

græskar

I absolutely love Waller FM. However, I do find the new live episodes a little underwhelming. I think the pre-recorded ones are much tighter and funnier. Having said that, we get a new episode like every five years, so it's silly to complain. If you haven't listened to Waller FM yet, go and do it now! Episode 7 is my favourite.

BritishHobo

Aye, I'm enjoying it as a bit of a different pace - like tuning in to the real radio station rather than the highlights reel-style of the podcast. It's fun in a bit of a behind-the-scenes way, getting to hear what the recording sessions are presumably normally like before the editing begins, and hearing more of them making each other laugh.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on June 26, 2020, 08:20:40 AM
I'm working my way through the old podcasts from 2008 or whenever. There's a bit in Episode 4 (Down Under) where they are arguing about taps. I was absolutely pissing myself. It's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWSKiDY-g2w

robotam

I'm a few weeks behind on the live podcasts, but I'm still enjoying them. Mainly because for whatever reason I find the phrase "We've got beats come in all the way from...Belgium" very funny.

Anyway, looks like there is a new episode (Episode 10) of the podcast proper.

Quote from: robotam on August 20, 2020, 01:43:00 PM
I'm a few weeks behind on the live podcasts, but I'm still enjoying them. Mainly because for whatever reason I find the phrase "We've got beats come in all the way from...Belgium" very funny.

Anyway, looks like there is a new episode (Episode 10) of the podcast proper.

Fantastic!

I wish they'd just put the Twitch streams up as a podcast too.

BritishHobo

Two years late, I've finally caught up on the live podcasts. I think I got a little burnt out on the length at the time - although if you'd told my past self that I would end up sitting on nearly ten hours of unlistened-to WallerFM for two years I would never have believed you.

God it's funny though. I think it helps that they branched out a bit more in the later streams by bringing back Colin & Craig and having more stuff going on outside of Graham and Terry's show and Graham's Hot Porridge. It feels like they started doing way more 'callers' as well, which are always the best bit of Waller. That might just be my perception after the timegap though, maybe they were doing that all along.

Does anybody know why they stopped at 14?