Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cloverfield 2!

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 15, 2016, 07:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I think the entire point of this film is completely ruined by the shoehorned Cloverfield connection. Until the one eyed woman outside turns up begging to be let in, you're obviously being led to think John Goodman's just a maniac kidnapper, and even after that it's ambivalent until the last 15 minutes or so. However because it's a Cloverfield film you know there's going to be monsters/aliens, without a doubt, so tension/suspense ruined. Although there's plenty else wrong with it too (why did he chain her to the wall? His personality completely changes and softens in minutes after the one eyed woman incident, he goes from domineering, bullying dinner table tyrant to being much more human and natural immediately, pisspoor characterisation.)   

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: icehaven on May 22, 2016, 01:59:25 PM
His personality completely changes and softens in minutes after the one eyed woman incident, he goes from domineering, bullying dinner table tyrant to being much more human and natural immediately, pisspoor characterisation.
Sharing the experience of watching someone's face melt can really help people bond.

Glebe

Chris O'Dowd, John Ortiz, and More Join The 'God Particle' Cast.

QuoteAround the release of 10 Cloverfield Lane–another contained thriller that turned out to be more than meets the eye–Peter speculated God Particle could tie into the Cloverfield story in some capacity. "In the 10 Cloverfield Lane ARG, John Goodman's character Howard Stambler showed up as the employee of the month on the Bold Futura website," he wrote. "Bold Futura is one of the subsidiary companies of the Tagruato Corporation introduced during the 2007 viral/ARG, which was working on the "design, manufacture and integration of advanced technology products for the military, arms manufacturers and space exploration organizations. Also, let's not forget the satellite that fell from the sky in the background of the concluding Coney Island scene in Cloverfield."

Hmmm... intriguing.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Dropshadow

I didn't like the first Cloverfield film but I quite liked this one. I was especially intrigued by the actor who played The Woman; I was sure I'd seen her before but couldn't remember where. Later I got it - she was the cute one in the cheerleader outfit in "Death Proof". It's good to be shallow, sometimes.

Glebe

Glebe

monolith

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 08, 2016, 11:46:21 AM
It's a similar sound to the LSA (large scale aggressor) from the first film but it's not connected in any way.  Trust me on this.  The LSA came from the darkest depths of our oceans.
I've just seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, definitely should have been a standalone, but anyway...

At the end of Cloverfield you see something flying in to the ocean, pretty sure that's meant to be the LSA. Surely that indicates that it was aliens as opposed to originating at the bottom of the ocean?

Endicott

Quote from: monolith on April 04, 2018, 05:18:26 PM
I've just seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, definitely should have been a standalone, but anyway...

At the end of Cloverfield you see something flying in to the ocean, pretty sure that's meant to be the LSA. Surely that indicates that it was aliens as opposed to originating at the bottom of the ocean?

Oh dear! I reckon you'd best read Eddie's previous post before he spots this ;-)
(if i remember correctly it's part of a satellite)

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,51896.msg2820845.html#msg2820845

St_Eddie

Quote from: Endicott on April 04, 2018, 06:02:52 PM
Oh dear! I reckon you'd best read Eddie's previous post before he spots this ;-)

Heh!  I had already spotted it before you replied and have just spent the last 10 minutes trawling the Internet, fruitlessly trying to find out how to link to a specific post.  I eventually gave up and came back here, only to find that you had done it for me.  Many thanks.  You're a greater man/woman than I.

Quote from: Endicott on April 04, 2018, 06:02:52 PM(if i remember correctly it's part of a satellite)

Your memory serves you well.

Endicott

For what it's worth I initially had exactly the same reaction as monolith and rev. But your post showed that it's all come direct from the makers and was not hopelessly unconnected marketing as I originally thought. If I understand correctly there are extras on the Bluray that support this - I really ought to get round to picking one up.

One other thing, at the top of this post it will say Re: Cloverfield 2! and it will be clickable. That's the link you use.

monolith

Cheers for clearing that up!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Endicott on April 04, 2018, 08:52:10 PM
If I understand correctly there are extras on the Bluray that support this - I really ought to get round to picking one up.

Yes, I mentioned this earlier in the thread...

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 09, 2016, 01:13:10 PM
All of the ARG information (and more) can be found on the Cloverfield Blu-Ray's 'Special Investigation mode'.  A feature which, in-universe, is a post-movie military document, that plays concurrently with the found footage, overlaying the locations of the protagonists, the LSA and the military, at various stages of that fateful night (on a map to the left of the screen) and also provides a stream of constant information, which was subsequently gathered by the military, following their hammer-down protocol (in a text box at the bottom of the screen).

...I definitely recommend buying the Blu-Ray, as it's a great little feature.  It's become my default for whenever I watch the film now.

Quote from: Endicott on April 04, 2018, 08:52:10 PMOne other thing, at the top of this post it will say Re: Cloverfield 2! and it will be clickable. That's the link you use.

Ah, great!  Thank you kindly.

Tikwid

Paradox was shit, wasn't it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Tikwid on April 05, 2018, 02:49:21 AM
Paradox was shit, wasn't it?

Yes, it was and it is.  However, I've got a funny feeling that it's going to be seen a cult favourite in decades to come.  A kind of 'so bad, it's good' type of film.  I can imagine a label such as Arrow or Shout Factory releasing it in the future, if disc based media still exists at that point, much to the delight of a small subset of fans who may or may not love the film ironically.  Heck, I hated The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 for the longest time but like many, I now love it, even though it's objectively quite bad.

Namtab

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 05, 2018, 03:27:18 AM
Yes, it was and it is.  However, I've got a funny feeling that it's going to be seen a cult favourite in decades to come.  A kind of 'so bad, it's good' type of film.  I can imagine a label such as Arrow or Shout Factory releasing it in the future, if disc based media still exists at that point, much to the delight of a small subset of fans who may or may not love the film ironically.  Heck, I hated The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 for the longest time but like many, I now love it, even though it's objectively quite bad.

Eh, I think it's a little too dull for that. Texas Chainsaw 2 is absolutely mental and bizarre, hence why it's become a cult classic, whereas there's nothing that really stands out as anything but generic in Paradox.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Namtab on April 05, 2018, 02:58:00 PM
Eh, I think it's a little too dull for that. Texas Chainsaw 2 is absolutely mental and bizarre, hence why it's become a cult classic, whereas there's nothing that really stands out as anything but generic in Paradox.

Time will tell.  Personally, I think that my prediction is correct, as is my wont.  Having said that, I'm usually wrong.