Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Angie Tribeca (New Rashida Jones comedy from Steve & Nancy Carell)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 17, 2016, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

All ten episodes of this new show are now out, and the reviews have been largely positive.  It's quite Police Squad-ish in the amount of silly jokes and daft background gags (one of the cops has a dog for a partner, for instance) and I don't know, I'm pretty fond of it judging by the pilot alone. Rashida's likable here (especially compared to Parks and Recs after they ran out of things to do with her character), and the supporting cast are decent too, with Alfred Molina looking like he's having a lot of fun as an eccentric coroner.

Edit: Huh, turns out a further ten episodes are going to be released next week as a supposed second season, don't think that's ever happened before.

And here's the poster for it, as I quite like it:

Small Man Big Horse

Second episode's really great too, and if you don't believe me, look, once scene features a dog playing a piano!

(It's funny in context, honest).

Povidone

Looks good, will probably give this one a go.

Had to look up the cast as while it clearly isn't them it looks like Denzel Washington and Bobby Cannavale on that poster, pleasantly surprised to see Jere Burns' name high up in the credits.

Small Man Big Horse

This is still really great five episodes in. Watch it you evil monsters!

mook

ok, i'm going in. this better be good SMBH - cos i hold grudges.

it's shite... you're back on the list.

Small Man Big Horse

Going by the time of your edit you didn't even watch a whole episode, I can't take your opinion seriously on that! D-, please see me after class.

I hope mook's opinion doesn't put anyone off, anyway, I'm sure it won't because, well, you just don't, do you, and whilst it's not a groundbreaking show like Nathan For You or my beloved Review With Forrest MacNeil, it is a lot of fun, never takes itself seriously, and has a really high gag rate. Not all of them hit home (and a few should kindly be described as 'homages' to older gags) but it's impressive how strong certain episodes are. If the first one doesn't do anything for anyone, I'd recommend skipping to the fifth, which has some great 'Take your kid to work' gags, and prostitutes too.

Yeah, I quite like this.  I've watched 6 episodes so far.  Found the first 2 or 3 a bit too manic but it does calm itself down a bit by about Episode 5. 

As SMBH said above, it's nothing new but there's a decent laugh quotient and it passes 20 minutes very nicely.

Really liked Episode 6 actually.  Got a nice laugh out of Bill Murray's "Hi, my name's Vic.  Deakins.   But you can call me Vic Deakins".

And I'm still finding the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!"/The Who/CSI Miami opening titles pisstake funny at this point. 

Moribunderast

Loved the first two episodes but episode three was intolerable, relying on the exact same style of joke for twenty minutes straight. Hopefully that's an outlier and the rest are as good as the first two.

mook

i tried again, still found it massively tiresome, actually it was worse second time around. the thought of sitting through several hours of that is beyond the limits of my patience.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 20, 2016, 02:00:46 AM
Loved the first two episodes but episode three was intolerable, relying on the exact same style of joke for twenty minutes straight. Hopefully that's an outlier and the rest are as good as the first two.

Yeah, the ventriloquist episode was a bit patchy, I didn't dislike it as much as you but so far it's my least favourite episode. The fourth is a return to form though, and of the best so far.

Moribunderast

Yeah, just watched the fourth and enjoyed it a lot. I think it suffers from being a bit indiscriminate with the Naked Gun-style jokes. There's some fun puns and visual gags but there's others that provoke the wrong kind of groan - episode three being full of them. Still, I'm enjoying the show. It's not as good as Childrens Hospital or Touch Of Cloth for recent comparisons in the genre but I'd have it above NTSF or whatever that Paul Scheer one was called.

Mr Banlon

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 17, 2016, 03:27:32 PM
Second episode's really great too, and if you don't believe me, look, once scene features a dog playing a piano!

(It's funny in context, honest).

I don't believe you, because that is an organ.

amnesiac

Where are all you cunts watching this? *I have placed a small bet on the nature of responses to this*

Small Man Big Horse

Kickass have all the episodes, or you could go here: http://rapidmoviez.com/ - the hugefiles links are the quickest and most hassle free.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It is very Police Squad-esque, isn't it? Not the only comedy cop show around at the moment, obviously, but its sense of humour is so indebted to ZAZ that I wonder why they didn't go for a different premise. Plus NTSF: SD: SUV beat them to the punch in spoofing CSI and its ilk.

Not that any of that makes it any less enjoyable.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's basically half ZAZ, half Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner (Get Smart).
I'd say it isn't always very interested in developing a spoof, it's mostly interested in pushing as many jokes as possible. As a result, there's not the buildup and the deconstruction of the clichés that's part of the best spoofs, but as a joke machine, the success rate is quite high, and it's actually impressive.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 24, 2016, 07:16:48 PM
It's basically half ZAZ, half Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner (Get Smart).
I'd say it isn't always very interested in developing a spoof, it's mostly interested in pushing as many jokes as possible. As a result, there's not the buildup and the deconstruction of the clichés that's part of the best spoofs, but as a joke machine, the success rate is quite high, and it's actually impressive.

I think that's what I like about it the most. It's never going to win awards for inventive plotting or for creating memorable characters, but it does make me laugh an awful lot. Most of the time at least, there's the odd misfire (episode 8 left me really cold for some unknown reason), but in general I find it a very likable show.

Famous Mortimer

Two episodes in and I'm rather enjoying it. It's not as relentless with the jokes as ZAZ or "A Touch Of Cloth" but it's decent, and clearly Carell and Jones can pull in a hell of a supporting cast.

up_the_hampipe

I know there's a more recent thread for this but this is the original. Big ups to SMBH.

Just watched the first two episodes on 4OD/All 4/whatever and enjoyed it. I don't know why it's taken so long for another Police Squad style show to pop up. I loved "A Touch of Cloth" but there wasn't very much of it. Nice to have a proper show packed with stupid jokes. Not all of them land, but I'm very affectionate to it all.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on May 28, 2016, 08:17:15 PM
Season 2 due on 6th June, btw.

Oh excellent.

Episode 5 with David Koechner as the big baby is so bloody stupid. What a ridiculous show. Love it.

Small Man Big Horse

The first two episodes from season two are now available from all the usual places. I've only seen the first so far but I enjoyed it a lot, the
Spoiler alert
post sex explosion and one year later bit
[close]
moved the plot in to a pleasingly silly new direction, and whilst the odd joke didn't always work it had a pretty high hit rate.

Favourite bits:
Spoiler alert
"What's up lieutenant, looks like you saw a ghost?" / "It's an election year and the mayor insists I crack down on murder" / The upside down apartment / Alfred Molina, as always / the speech I can't be arsed to write out but ends with "It's going to be a long second season" / "Hello who's this little guy?"
[close]

I caught about 10 minutes of this once. It was trying so hard.

up_the_hampipe

That "How is she holding up?" joke got a big laugh. Glad to have this nonsense back.

Region, yes, it can come across like that at times, but I'd suggest given it a proper shot. There's plenty of great silliness in there. Even some of the best Zucker films had some try-hard moments

Small Man Big Horse

Well that went downhill fast. A couple of the episodes were decent enough and I enjoyed the finale, but some were all too drab and the gag rate has decreased enormously. I imagine it's really difficult to keep up such a high rate in a thing like this, but the jokes we were left with were mostly a bit predictable and dull.

Did they ever manage to stop looking like they really thought they were in the best comedy show ever made?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Season 4 is being broadcast over two nights, with five episodes each night.

There's a major cast reshuffle, and they're now spoofing other procedurals and dramas rather than just cop shows.
Actually, a big issue in the first episode is that they're doing medical shows à la Grey's Anatomy, which was originally the bread and butter for Childrens Hospital. And CH did it better.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 30, 2018, 10:49:28 PM
Season 4 is being broadcast over two nights, with five episodes each night.

There's a major cast reshuffle, and they're now spoofing other procedurals and dramas rather than just cop shows.
Actually, a big issue in the first episode is that they're doing medical shows à la Grey's Anatomy, which was originally the bread and butter for Childrens Hospital. And CH did it better.

Season 4?! I don't even think I was aware they'd done a season 3. Gonna have to dig through old hard-drives to see if I watched it and immediately forgot it's existence...

up_the_hampipe