Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan and John C Reilly to play Stan and Ollie

Started by biggytitbo, January 18, 2016, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

That looks like some pretty great casting - http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a780381/steve-coogan-and-john-c-reilly-will-play-laurel-and-hardy-in-a-new-biopic/

Always wary of people trying to impersonate the boys as its usualy awful but sounds like this is focusing on their later years like the recent BBC radio and tv play. Could be great and they certainly deserve the big screen treatment.

MuteBanana

Quoteand the casting choices seem to be pretty perfect.

Er no they don't.

biggytitbo

Visually Reilley (I have no idea who he is) is the spit of Ollie -

And Coogan does have a passing resemblance to Stan and the acting chops to get him right, imo.

great_badir

I can sort of see Reilly as Ollie, but Coogan as Stan?!?!?!?

On the other hand, is that why Coogan has shifted a bit of the terry?  Thought he was ill when I saw a recent pic of him the other day.

dr_christian_troy

...but perhaps most importantly, who will play James Finlayson?

great_badir

Ignatius_S

Both actors are good and I particularly rate Reilly. However, when it comes to biopics/biographical dramas, I don't believe that actors have to be dead ringers physically for who they're portraying. That said, with this tour, both Laurel and Hardy were a fair bit older than these actors  - and they didn't look in brilliant health (particularly Hardy) and maybe both are a bit too young?

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on January 18, 2016, 12:35:38 PM
...but perhaps most importantly, who will play James Finlayson?

Dan Castellaneta could do the d'ohs.

ajsmith

Damn. This should have been the role that blasted Forbes Masson to his rightful place in the star firmament.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 18, 2016, 12:49:12 PM
Both actors are good and I particularly rate Reilly. However, when it comes to biopics/biographical dramas, I don't believe that actors have to be dead ringers physically for who they're portraying. That said, with this tour, both Laurel and Hardy were a fair bit older than these actors  - and they didn't look in brilliant health (particularly Hardy) and maybe both are a bit too young?

Easier to age up than down, especially if there are any scenes of them in their younger days. Both actors seem a decent intermediate age to do both.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

John C. Reilly will make a great Ollie, no doubt.

Coogan though...fucking hell. I like him a lot..but..What????  John Cusack... Robert Downey Jr, perhaps?

Uncle TechTip

Shock as old fat man role doesn't go to Toby Jones

great_badir

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 18, 2016, 01:44:38 PM
Coogan though...fucking hell. I like him a lot..but..What????  John Cusack... Robert Downey Jr, perhaps?

At least Coogan is British.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 18, 2016, 01:44:38 PM

Clint Eastwood.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 18, 2016, 01:35:26 PM

Easier to age up than down, especially if there are any scenes of them in their younger days. Both actors seem a decent intermediate age to do both.

And getting actors that are, or look, roughly the same age is even easier.

From what's been reported, it doesn't sound like there will be a need to portray them as younger men so not sure how much point there is trying to second-guess that.

MuteBanana

Pemberton and Shearsmith innit?

So with this and The Lobster has John C Reilly moved to England or something?

biggytitbo

It's a big missed opportunity not to do a proper biopic following them right through from Lucky Dog 'til Ollie's death though. Could be glorious.

Petey Pate

Steve Coogan as Laurel seems as a bizarre as when it was announced that Sean Penn would be in the Farrelly brothers' Three Stooges reboot (he wasn't in the end).

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 18, 2016, 04:20:10 PM
It's a big missed opportunity not to do a proper biopic following them right through from Lucky Dog 'til Ollie's death though. Could be glorious.

Only if they remake Hats Off in a way that's identical to the lost original.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on January 18, 2016, 04:41:52 PM
Only if they remake Hats Off in a way that's identical to the lost original.

What, film it in 1927?

amnesiac

this is bullshit man! the fat guy in Better Call Saul/ Last Man on Earth, Mel Rodriguez, was born to play Ollie

An tSaoi

Replies From View

Glebe

Sounds great, I'd certainly buy a ticket to see those pair play L&H.

However, if Coogan and Reilly are unavailable, there are other options:

Thomas

For me, Paul Putner will always be the original Oliver Hardy.

Dr Rock

Back in the olden days, my fantasy casting for X-Men baddie Juggernaut was John C Reilly. It was a good idea wasn't it? Better than Vinnie bloody Jones.

thenoise

Quote from: MuteBanana on January 18, 2016, 03:44:13 PM
Pemberton and Shearsmith innit?

So with this and The Lobster has John C Reilly moved to England or something?

yes he Reilly has

Hangthebuggers

Coogan is quite good at visual slapstick. There, I've said it.

non capisco

Stephen Morris from New Order for Stan, please.