Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:26:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan and John C Reilly to play Stan and Ollie

Started by biggytitbo, January 18, 2016, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amnesiac

The problem is I can visualise the Coogan impersonation already and it's not very good. This project is DOOMED.

biggytitbo

Quote from: non capisco on January 18, 2016, 09:14:47 PM
Stephen Morris from New Order for Stan, please.

He has no chance, theyve already overlooked Nicholas Lyndhurst (yet again) so clearly Coogan has the role locked down.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 19, 2016, 06:34:56 PM

He has no chance, theyve already overlooked Nicholas Lyndhurst (yet again) so clearly Coogan has the role locked down.

I think it's more likely that Lyndhurst turned them down. He's a busy man.

olliebean

Blimey. They've actually put the names the right way round for once.

Replies From View

Maurice Yeatman

It doesn't help that I've had a bad feeling about this film from the start, but that poster is horrible. Obviously the newspaper isn't supposed to be particularly authentic, but everything in it is so on-the-nose it's annoying. (Hard to tell but they do seem to have used Coogan and Reilly for that front page photo though.)

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on July 30, 2018, 05:18:17 PM
Obviously the newspaper isn't supposed to be particularly authentic, but everything in it is so on-the-nose it's annoying.

What particularly annoys me is that it has two front pages

paruses

From the looks of it those are the two centre pages.

F-

Shoulders?-Stomach!

ARGH GOD I HATE THE TINY ELEMENTS OF ART PROVIDED TO US THUS FAR, ARRGH!

paruses

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 01, 2018, 06:55:07 AM
ARGH GOD I HATE THE TINY ELEMENTS OF ART PROVIDED TO US THUS FAR, ARRGH!

I'm really looking forward to this but that is a beyond terrible poster.

PlanktonSideburns

Depressed Beyond Tables

I can see Coogan pulling this off more than any of his previous serious roles. You just need to powder whiten him up to Aunt Sally levels and he'll look like a doll.

neveragain

Nothing wrong with that poster.

Okay the newspaper looks a bit off but design-wise I think it's fine.

Maurice Yeatman

What's that "L.A.RAMS" doing in a British paper? An in-joke or something to interest an American audience? I demand an answer.

Bazooka

I mean both are stellar comedy performers, I don't really like biopics, I just don't see the point in a fictional sense, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

petril

would newspapers have said "U.K." in them days? or would they have gone with Britain or England?

Wet Blanket

Technically broadsheet newspapers in that era would have classified ads on the front pages anyway, not headlines in that style.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Bazooka on August 01, 2018, 06:52:38 PM
I mean both are stellar comedy performers, I don't really like biopics, I just don't see the point in a fictional sense, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

At least this biopic is a part of their careers that is largely unknown, as opposed to their heyday. We won't have to watch scenes of them making Way Out West' or 'The Music Box'.

paruses

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 01, 2018, 06:13:09 PM
What's that "L.A.RAMS" doing in a British paper? An in-joke or something to interest an American audience? I demand an answer.

The newspaper content reminds of the birth scene in I, Partridge with people calling things out to fix the thing in time.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 01, 2018, 09:06:24 PM
At least this biopic is a part of their careers that is largely unknown, as opposed to their heyday. We won't have to watch scenes of them making Way Out West' or 'The Music Box'.

Yes, and this pleases me a lot.  I'm not fond of biopics where they recreate fragments of existing work, and if you're obsessed enough to know the original very well you just end up noticing how different they are.  And it's distracting and takes you out of the film.

olliebean

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 01, 2018, 06:13:09 PM

It's an American paper. It just happens to have a lot of stories about the UK on its two front pages. But the stories are written from an American perspective (e.g., "over the pond in the UK.")

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: petrilTanaka on August 01, 2018, 07:50:13 PM
would newspapers have said "U.K." in them days? or would they have gone with Britain or England?

Agreed, particularly not "the UK", although obviously the United Kingdom did exist then.

Quote from: olliebean on August 01, 2018, 10:52:34 PM
It's an American paper. It just happens to have a lot of stories about the UK on its two front pages. But the stories are written from an American perspective (e.g., "over the pond in the UK.")

I didn't - still can't - see the "over the pond" bit. I presumed it was meant to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evening_News_(London_newspaper)#

olliebean

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 01, 2018, 11:03:50 PMI didn't - still can't - see the "over the pond" bit. I presumed it was meant to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evening_News_(London_newspaper)#

End of the first paragraph of the "British Climbers Conquer Everest" story. But the big clue is "Bon Voyage" at the top of the L&H story - you say that to people who are leaving, not people who are arriving.

Shaky

Reilly looks the spit of Ollie. Coogan seems to be playing Frank Spencer, which is an interesting crossover I didn't foresee:

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: olliebean on August 01, 2018, 11:13:45 PM
End of the first paragraph of the "British Climbers Conquer Everest" story. But the big clue is "Bon Voyage" at the top of the L&H story - you say that to people who are leaving, not people who are arriving.

Still can't make any of the text out at all, but looks like you're right in that case. I thought the Bon Voyage was British coverage of their departure, even though it doesn't make sense either way that it would be covered in the same edition that their tour success is. (And it means they're reading the paper having arrived back in America after the British tour and while still wearing their on-screen outfits.</allrightwegetit>)

Crap poster and the fact that Hardy hated being called Ollie in real life aside, I (as a lonely proud member of the Utopia tent of Sons of the Desert*) really do hope this is a good film and my natural pessimism is misplaced.

* never had a job interview since I started putting that on my CV

paruses

Quote from: Shaky on August 01, 2018, 11:28:17 PM
Reilly looks the spit of Ollie. Coogan seems to be playing Frank Spencer, which is an interesting crossover I didn't foresee:

That guy in the body warmer will be in the next Robert Webb Biggest Movie Mistakes show without a doubt!

Disappointed Steve coogan looks like Steve coogan / Frank Spencer in that but I think he is a good enough mimic to make me forget he's not Stan.

Had Oliver Hardy lost a load of weight by this point or is it too early for that?9

popcorn