Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan and John C Reilly to play Stan and Ollie

Started by biggytitbo, January 18, 2016, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Had to do a double take to see that was Coogan there. Consider me sold.

Maurice Yeatman

I'm pretty sure neither of them ever wore hats.

St_Eddie

Don't know why they've given Oliver Hardy a Hitler 'tache.  Bit dodgy and disrespectful to the memory of Hardy, to be honest.

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 04, 2018, 02:45:49 AM
Don't know why they've given Oliver Hardy a Hitler 'tache.  Bit dodgy and disrespectful to the memory of Hardy, to be honest.

On the contrary, Hardy made people take Hitler less seriously and that helped him rise to power.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on August 01, 2018, 10:20:01 PM
Yes, and this pleases me a lot.  I'm not fond of biopics where they recreate fragments of existing work, and if you're obsessed enough to know the original very well you just end up noticing how different they are.  And it's distracting and takes you out of the film.

I largely agree with you but it's not always the case, the tv series Feud was superb at recreating scenes from Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? and various other Bette Davis and Joan Crawford films.

Nowhere Man

I'm blown away by how good they look in that photo. But I'm still also a bit skeptical/nervous because I love Laurel and Hardy a fucking lot, so I hope it's as good and true to the source material as a biopic on them could be.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 06, 2018, 11:56:27 PM
I largely agree with you but it's not always the case, the tv series Feud was superb at recreating scenes from Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? and various other Bette Davis and Joan Crawford films.

They can be very very good but they still have that "parallel universe" vibe to them that I'd rather not experience so obviously.

Quote from: Shaky on August 04, 2018, 03:19:45 AM
On the contrary, Hardy made people take Hitler less seriously and that helped him rise to power.

If Hitler wanted to be taken less seriously, he'd have kept his birth surname, Schickelgruber.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 07, 2018, 04:23:59 PM
If Hitler wanted to be taken less seriously, he'd have kept his birth surname, Schickelgruber.

That was his grandmother's surname. Hitler's surname was never Schicklgruber.

Sorry to be pedantic but I'm absolutely sick and tired of people making fun of him.

Nowhere Man

Please don't go any fuhrer with these comments, they're getting to natzti in mein opinion.

neveragain

Hope it doesn't go down the obvious feuding double-act route, as the trailer suggests.

biggytitbo

Looks promising. Coogan has the voice right but does let a few of his trademark mannerisms leak into his performance. The other guy looks pretty good.

Replies From View

I'm assuming that you have all noticed the Laurel and Hardy watch-along thread, but just in case you missed it:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,69067.0.html

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: neveragain on September 18, 2018, 03:43:17 PM
Hope it doesn't go down the obvious feuding double-act route, as the trailer suggests.

Yes, that troubles me too. By all accounts, Stan and Ollie never ever argued like that. Surely there's a good enough story here already without the need to manufacture some conflict?

Anyway, I hope this lives up to its promise. Coogan* and Reilly appear to be perfectly cast, and I did tear up a bit at the end of that trailer. My love of Stan and Ollie (the people, not this film) knows no bounds.

* biggy, I didn't detect any of Coogan's trademark mannerisms during that. We're so familiar with his voice, we can't help noticing traces of it peeking through, but by and large it sounds as though he's nailed Stan's actual speaking voice.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 18, 2018, 11:40:17 PM
Yes, that troubles me too. By all accounts, Stan and Ollie never ever argued like that. Surely there's a good enough story here already without the need to manufacture some conflict?

Anyway, I hope this lives up to its promise. Coogan* and Reilly appear to be perfectly cast, and I did tear up a bit at the end of that trailer.

I can't think of any biographies that mention that sort of tension either. The reconciliation at the end of the trailer (admittedly out of context) is a cliché, a staple of double-act biopics. Must be difficult to write something for a popular audience that doesn't involve that sort of artistic licence, but "Based on the untold story" shouldn't be an excuse.

Nowhere Man

I imagine it's embellished and what they show in the trailer is (hopefully) the most 'dramatic' scenes of Stan and Ollie in conflict. It's a good story without, but they need to have a draw for those casual people unfamiliar with L&H. I know that sound ridiculous but particularly in America a lot of people these days aren't that familiar with the great pair, sadly.

If the movie does it's job well, and from the trailer I have high hopes, it should be a loving portrayal of two comedy giants, and more people will become familiar with their legacy.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 19, 2018, 09:57:55 AMshould be a loving portrayal of two comedy giants, and more people will become familiar with their legacy.

But they'll go for the colorized versions first and be put off.

Who are you calling negative?

popcorn

It's going to be shit. It's written by the Philomena person and that was utter shit.

neveragain

Yeah, Philomena was good. Struck the balance between sentimental and funny. Handled the subject matter intelligently.

SpiderChrist

I enjoyed Philomena (although I did watch it with my Mum while arseholed on gin), I love Laurel & Hardy and I am really looking forward to the sweet comfort of death's embrace seeing this.

popcorn

No it's going to be shit actually.

Philomena is one of those movies where people keep gazing out of windows and having moving flashbacks to their childhood.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: popcorn on September 20, 2018, 09:45:06 AM
No it's going to be shit actually.

May I ask whereabouts you bought your crystal ball? Mine's on the blink and needs replacing.

popcorn

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 20, 2018, 12:24:34 PM
May I ask whereabouts you bought your crystal ball? Mine's on the blink and needs replacing.

It's in me noggin. I share its knowledge with you free of charge.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on September 19, 2018, 12:32:42 AM
I can't think of any biographies that mention that sort of tension either. The reconciliation at the end of the trailer (admittedly out of context) is a cliché, a staple of double-act biopics. Must be difficult to write something for a popular audience that doesn't involve that sort of artistic licence, but "Based on the untold story" shouldn't be an excuse.

Whilst its probably untrue they never argued, I thought they famously got on incredibly well outside of filming. 90 minutes of them being great pals probably doesn't make that great a film though.

Uncle TechTip

Jeff Pope? He's great and can write a 2 hour screenplay. Good news.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 21, 2018, 06:02:01 PM
Whilst its probably untrue they never argued, I thought they famously got on incredibly well outside of filming. 90 minutes of them being great pals probably doesn't make that great a film though.

How about 90 minutes of them being great pals while Atoll K gets made around them?