Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommendations - OSX games from ten years ago

Started by studpuppet, January 20, 2016, 01:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

I'm getting a 2007 MacBook readied for my ten your old twin girls to use for doing online homework etc. I thought it would be very parental of me to shove some games on there as well, but obviously stuff that can be played on its slightly creaky specs and isn't violent (they don't like that sort of thing - they are strictly Minecraft/Sims fans). I've got Lego Star Wars and Tomb Raider, but if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: studpuppet on January 20, 2016, 01:14:36 PM
I'm getting a 2007 MacBook readied for my ten your old twin girls to use for doing online homework etc. I thought it would be very parental of me to shove some games on there as well, but obviously stuff that can be played on its slightly creaky specs and isn't violent (they don't like that sort of thing - they are strictly Minecraft/Sims fans). I've got Lego Star Wars and Tomb Raider, but if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful.

Short answer, I would check a thread at a dedicated site like MacRumors for suggestions – try: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-games-what-ive-tried.209966/

That isn't intended as a fob off but something like that is a genuinely good resource about the time of games it can run.

The main issue is going to be the integrated graphics – if a game is graphically intensive, there's going to be performance issues. The CPU is less problematic – that's going to be a Core 2 Duo.

Another issue will be the amount of games - things have improved somewhat but the choice is still comparatively limited to Windows. If the MB was more capable of running games then I would consider installing Bootcamp (installing a new hard drive is cheap and easy, so no issues there) but it's hard to justify the effort/cost wouldn't be worth it.

NoSleep

2007 MacBook - So that's Intel, isn't it? Running Snow Leopard (that'd be the best to get some old stuff running)?

studpuppet

Quote from: NoSleep on January 20, 2016, 04:05:39 PM
Running Snow Leopard (that'd be the best to get some old stuff running)?

Easy Tiger - it's on Lion (10.7)

NoSleep

Yeah... get on Snow Leopard if it's an early Intel. My recent experience of installing Lion (on one of the first Intels) encouraged me to take a step back (and some older stuff suddenly worked again). I think Snow Leopard is the last platform to support UB & Rosetta.

Zetetic

It's probably not the right genre and the interface is a bit wonky, but Engima is a nice puzzle game that still involves some motor skills but works well with a trackpad. (I used to like playing the game that it's based on, on a PowerBook Duo 230 with a trackball.)

a big egg

I liked taskmaker but it was pre-OSX and I can't work out how to emulate pre-OSX on Windows.

OTHER PRE-OSX GAMES THAT YOU DIDNT ASK FOR:

Barney carnage
Power Pete
Quest of Yipe
Any old rubbish shareware that came as a demo on the free CDs on the front of Macworldmagazine.
Civ 2

MOST HELPFUL IN THE THREAD = ME

NoSleep

studpuppet