Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:46:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 10

Started by Replies From View, January 21, 2016, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Matt was the Doctor when the show became a big hit globally, especially in America, so he's more internationally recognised as the Doctor than Tennant. Tough act to follow in that sense.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 15, 2017, 12:05:37 AM
He definitely has a "type".

Yes, ladies who are very attractive and probaky have extremely nice bottoms.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 14, 2017, 10:27:42 PM
Bloody hell, Capaldi hardly sounds enthusiastic about the job in that interview. He sounds like a man who can't say he's sick of it.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 14, 2017, 10:30:00 PM
Yeah, considering he started off as a superfan too. He must know, as a man who is an oscar winning writer himself, that most of his episodes have been extremely poorly written though, so he's probably glad to be rid of it considering how gruelling it is to film.

Heh.  If ever evidence was needed that negativity of this kind was a projection, we now have "Capaldi is leaving because he suddenly thinks the show is bollocks."

Capaldi, fan through the 80s, leaves because he reckons the show has turned to shite under Moffat.

Hilarious work.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 15, 2017, 01:42:43 AM
Heh.  If ever evidence was needed that negativity of this kind was a projection, we now have "Capaldi is leaving because he suddenly thinks the show is bollocks."

Capaldi, fan through the 80s, leaves because he reckons the show has turned to shite under Moffat.

Hilarious work.

No, I just think that, in that clip posted, he comes seems very evasive or uncomfortable around the subject of why he's stepping down. Like a man who has reasons for leaving that he can't express publicly, prior to the release of his final series.

Then, as Biggy says, it's reasonable to think that an actor and writer as good as Capaldi, who has starred in so many quality shows, would be very aware that this version of the Doctor has been poorly served in terms of characterisation and writing. Maybe someone who was just doing it for the cheque wouldn't care, but as someone whose been a fan for so long, and has the pick of quality roles, it's probably a disappointment - especially when balanced against the tough schedule, physicality and promotional work.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on April 15, 2017, 02:00:38 AM
No, I just think that, in that clip posted, he comes seems very evasive or uncomfortable around the subject of why he's stepping down. Like a man who has reasons for leaving that he can't express publicly, prior to the release of his final series.

He appears to be struggling to communicate the entirety of his reasons for leaving, that's all you need to say.

All the guesswork beyond that is superfluous, especially when it involves Capaldi somehow having exactly the same subjective view of Moffat's writing as you and biggytitbo.  It's the very definition of projection.

kidsick5000

Capaldi's always been a shy and self-effacing interviewee.
He's the Broadbent to Tennant and Smith's Grants (useless analogy there).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

You'll miss Capaldi and Moffat when they're gone.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2017, 07:34:10 AM

Capaldi, the sarcastic superior Doctor of series 8 getting a proper development I missed. The Sonic Sunglasses, Axe Spanking, Tank Riding, Clara Fetishing version of series 9, nope, haven't given a thought about it over the last two years, so let's hope Doctor 13.3, 'The Magic Professor' turns up trumps and redeems the Capaldi era, after all, just like series 5 Moffat has had a whole extra year to prepare for it.

Moffat has definitely served his time and needs to go to pastures new because even if Chibnal is mediocre and can't reach the heights of ideas and invention of Moffat, it still serves as a chance to expunge the worst elements of Moffat's tenure, weak characterisation and tedious interrogation of the show's mythology before the BBC see sense and make Jed Mercurio show runner.

Spoon of Ploff

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hoping my initial reaction to Pearl Mackie's Bill is going to be as out of wack as my initial reaction to Matt Smith's Dr. Cards on the table though, I liked the concept of the Moon as an egg so its going to have to go some to disappoint me to the state of horrible tears.

So can anyone suggest a suitable range of snacks and beverages to consume during 'The Pilot?'

Replies From View

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 15, 2017, 08:21:27 AM
So can anyone suggest a suitable range of snacks and beverages to consume during 'The Pilot?'

Wax fruit or wax eggs for Easter.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on April 15, 2017, 08:21:27 AM
I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hoping my initial reaction to Pearl Mackie's Bill is going to be as out of wack as my initial reaction to Matt Smith's Dr. Cards on the table though, I liked the concept of the Moon as an egg so its going to have to go some to disappoint me to the state of horrible tears.

A selection of 'ass' and a couple of pints of Umbongo.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 15, 2017, 07:34:10 AM

Not unless I lose my memory. I already miss Moffat at his energised, ambitious best (series 5 and 6), but I won't miss the lifeless, forgettable mess he's turned the show into. I'm even less likely to miss Capaldi, who is a great actor wasted on a thoroughly bungled character that I have no investment in. The simple facts that Moffat has done several great series of Doctor Who, and that Capaldi is a great actor, will not make me forget that the last few years have been an absolute chore to watch most of the time.

I'll regret that the 12th Doctor's tenure was wasted, not that they're gone.     

Deanjam

Quote from: Kelvin on April 15, 2017, 11:16:10 AM
Not unless I lose my memory. I already miss Moffat at his energised, ambitious best (series 5 and 6), but I won't miss the lifeless, forgettable mess he's turned the show into. I'm even less likely to miss Capaldi, who is a great actor wasted on a thoroughly bungled character that I have no investment in. The simple facts that Moffat has done several great series of Doctor Who, and that Capaldi is a great actor, will not make me forget that the last few years have been an absolute chore to watch most of the time.

I'll regret that the 12th Doctor's tenure was wasted, not that they're gone.     

Agreed.

BritishHobo

Aye. I'm a big defender of Moffat, and I think (even though series 7 left a lot to be desired) series 5 through to Time of the Doctor is one of the most ambitious and exciting arcs I've ever seen in fiction, but still I found series 8 and most of his work in 9 to be more and more tired and lacking in ideas and interest. The show has felt like it's flagging for what, thanks to the absurd gaps, seems like an age now, and Capaldi's Doctor has been a proper confused mish-mash. Also Clara.

biggytitbo

Yep, for all S7s faults it was still exciting and surprising and I was still invested in the characters and the arc. There was a purpose and a drive to the show right up to Smiths departure, that's been sorely missing since Capaldi took over. It's just sort of limply existed with the odd high point like Heaven Sent. I don't think anyone involved has really known what to do or where to take the show since the Ponds left really, but that existential tiredness really bit hard in S8 and 9. Weirdly I expect Chinballs first series to be worse on many levels but 'better' precisely because it'll be a fresh take on it.

Serge

While I think that series eight (with the exception of 'Mummy On The Orient Express') was very below-par, I thought series nine was a vast improvement. I could have done without all the Clara's death bollocks, and that girl from Game Of Thrones was rubbish, but there were a lot of strong episodes in there - the Davros two-parter, the Fisher King two-parter, the Zygon two-parter, 'Sleep No More', 'Heaven Sent' and (most of) 'Hell Bent'. I'm hoping that series ten will carry on in this direction, and I'm certainly less deflated about looking forward to it than I was after series eight.

notjosh

Calling it now. Through some manner of timey-wimey jiggery-pokery, tonight's episode will feature the next Doctor.

Replies From View

Quote from: notjosh on April 15, 2017, 05:40:27 PM
Calling it now. Through some manner of timey-wimey jiggery-pokery, tonight's episode will feature the next Doctor.

Spoiler alert
Matt Lucas
[close]

BritishHobo

Nae thoughts yet? I loved that. Gripping, entertaining and ultimately lovely stuff with a companion who's far warmer and lovelier than the promos promised, and who's already developing a fun dynamic with Capaldi and Nardole.

EDIT: OH WATCH ME FUCK UP THE LAST POST IN THE TOSSING THREAD

mothman