Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 10

Started by Replies From View, January 21, 2016, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I predict Chibnall will do one surprisingly good series to start with. His second series will be a load of boring fuckers going over the events of the previous series at length while some other boring fuckers do some stuff of no consequence or interest, and at the end you'll wish you hadn't even watched the good series. Then he'll do one more.

thr0b

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 22, 2016, 10:31:51 PM
I do like their plan, though. Get in a new Doctor, build up momentum, set the show up for a new, fresh companion, then LET'S JUST FUCK IT OFF FOR A YEAR

To put it another way - the new series will air 3-6 months later than the most recent series did.

MuteBanana

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2016, 10:40:00 PM

That's just an hilariously poor piece of PR spin from the BBC. The real reason for the delay yet again is...that fucker who solves crimes with the little fella from the hobbit.

Poldark?

biggytitbo

Quote from: thr0b on January 22, 2016, 10:42:01 PM
To put it another way - the new series will air 3-6 months later than the most recent series did.

Spring 2017 is 6 months later, if not more. Moffat is currently writing every episode of Sherlock S4 which is evidently a full time job, right when he would normally be stuck into S10. Anyone seriously trying to argue the delay isn't because of Sherlock, as it clearly was last time aswell, is bonkers in the nut.

Jerzy Bondov

I'd be very surprised if Capaldi stayed beyond 2017 sadly. Do you think Chibnall will bring back Torchwood characters? John Barrowman is sitting by the phone. Maybe we'll get to see him turn into a big head in a jar.

Tell you what though, if you want to cast a new Doctor using Broadchurch alumni you could do a lot worse than the man what plays Jarvis on Agent Carter.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 22, 2016, 10:48:28 PM
I'd be very surprised if Capaldi stayed beyond 2017 sadly. Do you think Chibnall will bring back Torchwood characters? John Barrowman is sitting by the phone. Maybe we'll get to see him turn into a big head in a jar.

Tell you what though, if you want to cast a new Doctor using Broadchurch alumni you could do a lot worse than the man what plays Jarvis on Agent Carter.

Or David Tennant. With Cyberwoman as the companion.

Quote from: Kelvin on January 22, 2016, 10:36:51 PM
Like who? What interesting, new - or, most importantly, good - writers did Moffat bring in during series 9? Or series 8, for that matter? The only one I can think of is the guy that did Mummy on the Orient Express, who I think was a newbie.

EDIT: In fact, he wasn't a newbie. He had written for the show during series 6. The writer I'm thinking of was the one who wrote Kill the Moon, which I liked. Everyone else had either been working on the show before, or were producing sub-par episodes.

No, the writer of the Mummy episode was Jamie Mathieson, and he hadn't written for it before Series 8.  New writers for the last couple of series:

Peter Harness
Jamie Mathieson
Frank Cottrell Boyce
Catherine Tregenna
Sarah Dollard

Obviously how one feels about their material is up to the individual...

Jerzy Bondov

I agree with Biggy that Sherlock is to blame, but it beggars belief because I don't see how it can take very long to write those now that you don't even have to come up solutions to the mysteries

Replies From View

And I somehow doubt that Chibnall will stop inviting Gatiss (and other current regulars) to write for the show, so the idea that this means a new dawn for fresh writers is somewhat deluded I think.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 22, 2016, 10:49:37 PM
No, the writer of the Mummy episode was Jamie Mathieson, and he hadn't written for it before Series 8.  New writers for the last couple of series:

Peter Harness
Jamie Mathieson
Frank Cottrell Boyce
Catherine Tregenna
Sarah Dollard

Obviously how one feels about their material is up to the individual...

The best ones were early in his tenure -
Richard Curtis
Simon Nye
Neil Gaiman

Harkness has been quite good and Mathiesen was the best amidst the mediocrity of S8. Aside from them, it's been pretty thin gruel since S5/6.

Jerzy Bondov

What's Toby Whithouse up to then? I like to think he was the first choice and turned it down. Followed by about forty other writers

Replies From View

This news is far, far worse than David Bowie dying.

kittens

hahahahahA

i mean christ

really almost the worst possible things they could have done

brilliant

biggytitbo

Cancelled soon? Yep, it's seems almost inevitable that the show will descend further into tired, repetitive blandness under Chibnal. It's hard to see it struggling past S11 or 12, on ratings of 2.5m.

Sad thing is this was a real oppurtunity to do something bold and pick somebody outside of the insular world of middle aged hack to writers who are boyhood doctor who fans and get someone with a really fresh and different spin on the show to give it that kick up the arse it so badly needs. At this stage in the old show we had Tom, Hinchcliffe and Holmes and a completly new take on the format.

The show already suffers from a circle jerk of ever present mediocre writers with no ideas and nothing to say, this seems to just lock that problem into the very core of the show.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm glad we've been told so far in advance, to give us time to process this appalling information.

Gentlemen, I'd like to propose a toast to the underachievers, to the mediocre, to the placeholders. There are many of us, and life can be hard. But every now and then we see one of our number hoisted up beyond his or her ability, to glory undeserved and unearned. Moments like this give us hope. Maybe we too can succeed, if only we repeatedly plug away at something we're just about okay at, if only we can keep our heads down and ignore those who say 'Torchwood is fucking shit' and 'Broadchurch is fucking shit', if only we can be in the right room at the right time when every other sensible option has been exhausted. Here's to us, and long may we ruin good shit.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 22, 2016, 10:48:28 PM

I don't disagree about Jarvis but people/fans may see it as a Cumberbatch replacement.

Danger Man

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 22, 2016, 11:04:41 PM
I'm glad we've been told so far in advance, to give us time to process this appalling information.

When Matt Smith was announced as the Doctor this place acted like it wanted the show cancelled on the spot.

They were all singing from a very different hymn-sheet a few years later.

So....just wait.

Hehehehehehe......

Kelvin

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 22, 2016, 10:49:37 PM
No, the writer of the Mummy episode was Jamie Mathieson, and he hadn't written for it before Series 8.

Ah, apologies. I saw he had written "The Girl Who Died" and got it mixed up with "The Girl Who Waited" in series 6.

So that's Peter Harness and Jamie Mathieson who have written a decent episode each (and several workmanlike episode, such as Flatline and the Zygon two parter)
Frank Cottrell Boyce - wrote the abysmal In The Forest of The Night.
Catherine Tregenna - wrote the workmanlike Highwaywoman episode this past series.
Sarah Dollard - wrote the workmanlike "Face the Raven".

I didn't say Moffat wasn't getting in new writers. I said the writers he was using for the last few years were workmanlike; reliable, but uninspired. Add in the usual stuff from Chibnall and Gatiss and it's clear why the series feels so lifeless these days. It's effectively relying on 3-4 good writers (including Moffat himself) to put in their usual stand out episodes, while over half the series is written by reliable hacks. Look back to series 5 and 6, which had episodes by big name talents like Richard Curtis, Simon Nye and Neil Gaiman, as well as episodes by Moffat at his peak, and you can see why those series are more fondly remembered. The show has increasingly been handed over to people who write a script on time and tick the right boxes, rather than writers with an actual voice.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: MuteBanana on January 22, 2016, 11:06:20 PM
I don't disagree about Jarvis but people/fans may see it as a Cumberbatch replacement.
He could do a different accent. They do look similar, you're right, maybe he could put on a lot of weight. Now we're onto something, what if he had a perm, a colourful jacket, and was a cunt? Here we go lads!

Danger Man, I don't think this is the same as Matt Smith's casting. Chibnall has written several episodes of Doctor Who before, and loads of Torchwood. We've got a decent idea of what he's like. However it isn't completely impossible that there will be good or even great episodes of Who under Chibnall. But it's fun to vent isn't it?

Replies From View

AAAAAAARGGGHHH GODD

This is quite literally the worst news to ever hit Britain.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2016, 11:00:23 PM
Cancelled soon? Yep, it's seems almost inevitable that the show will descend further into tired, repetitive blandness under Chibnal. It's hard to see it struggling past S11 or 12, on ratings of 2.5m.

This might actually help the ratings. I still think a part of the reason people are getting fed up with the show is the convoluted plots and back referencing that Moffat has made his staple. That's fine for hardcore fans like us, but if Chibnall signals a return to the simpler one and done stories of RTD's era. it might actually draw back some of the casual fans who were getting sick of it.   

Doesn't mean the show will be good under Chibnall. But in terms of ratings, I don't think it necessarily means things will get worse.

Red Lantern

Fuck this, I'm going to bed. I look forward to wading through the next 50 pages of this thread tomorrow.

Jerzy Bondov

I do think his first series will be quite good. He's got time now to plan it out, get some good ideas, play around with it a bit. Get in some writers whose schedules demand a bit more time (like Richard Curtis for example). He's got even more time than Moffat had for S5. When he's under the pressure to pump out a series a year things could get more ropey.

Cerys

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 22, 2016, 11:04:41 PM

Gentlemen, I'd like to propose a toast to the underachievers, to the mediocre, to the placeholders. There are many of us, and life can be hard. But every now and then we see one of our number hoisted up beyond his or her ability, to glory undeserved and unearned. Moments like this give us hope. Maybe we too can succeed, if only we repeatedly plug away at something we're just about okay at, if only we can keep our heads down and ignore those who say 'Torchwood is fucking shit' and 'Broadchurch is fucking shit', if only we can be in the right room at the right time when every other sensible option has been exhausted. Here's to us, and long may we ruin good shit.

CHIBNALL [wheeling himself into the room]: I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am the patron's saint. Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all!

Talulah, really!

Told you it would end up being back on Easter.

And my next stunning prediction....

We won't get a new companion, instead a series of 'special' guest stars and exciting two parters featuring all your Steven Moffat favourites.

Yay, the Paternoster Gang are back in a thrilling Victorian mystery which ends up being a dream that the Doctor enjoyed on a flight back from Japan after the Tardis HADS was activated, again.

It's the ultimate foe from the ultimate future of the ultimate enemy of doom, a situation so dangerous, so deadly, so damn ultimate that the Doctor is forced to team up with Missy, again.

Landing on a spaceport in the 51st century and looking for the little shop the Doctor spies an oddly familiar American diner and oh look, it's Me![nb]Not Me obviously, Me, the girl from that thing with the shagging and the dragons.[/nb] Which means the impossible Girl is back! Because it's been a whole year and everybody will have forgotten just how much they couldn't stand her.

Arriving in New York sometime in the 30s/40s/50 whenever it was, the Doctor runs into a familiar face - Rory- who doesn't recognise the Doctor's new unfamiliar face but it turns out it isn't Rory but some bloke who looks like him, HOLY FUCK it's only RIP HUNTER - TIME MASTER which means Doctor Who is canon in the DCverse and vice-versa and that somewhere Harry Knowles has just wanked his cock off.

In another exciting team up, the Doctor rejoins Winston Churchill to take on the Nazis and Cybermen in Silver Nemesis II - Eclectic Bugaloo.

The guy with the blue face is back in a lip sync battle to end them all as the Silence make the Angels forget they have just seen them and some other stuff happens out of order.

Danger Man

I met Colin Baker recently. He was a very nice man. I didn't, obviously, mention that I knew he was the third worst Doctor[nb]After McCoy and Smith[/nb] and I think that helped a lot.

He didn't say anything about series 10 of the show.

Replies From View

Quote from: Talulah, really! on January 22, 2016, 11:28:28 PM
We won't get a new companion, instead a series of 'special' guest stars and exciting two parters featuring all your Steven Moffat favourites.

Are we still sticking the boot into Moffat when Chibnall is only around the corner?

Chris Chibnall.  Showrunner of Doctor Who.