Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Overnight (2015 - Adam Scott, Taylor Schilling)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 22, 2016, 01:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Fucking awful film. A lot of critics seemed to like it but I thought it was right up it's own arse. It did make me laugh at times and I was intrigued as to what was going on during the first half, but the ending is so bloody awful that it makes he whole thing a complete waste of time.

Plot wise it's all about Adam Scott and Taylor Schilling moving to LA and worrying about being friendless, until they meet Jason Schwartzman in the local park, and their mutual children bond. An invitiation to dinner is accepted and then we spend the rest of the film watching the couples getting drunk and stoned with the occasional bit of whining about their issues. It's clear that Scott and Schilling are being seduced from the get go (even if Scott isn't aware of this) and I kept waiting for there to be
Spoiler alert
a twist, or some sort of point to it all, but there really isn't. Okay, there's the minor matter of it being Schwartzman who wants to fuck Scott rather than his wife, but that's about it. Then a foursome almost happens until it's interrupted by their kids, and then they don't see each other again for ages. The end.
[close]

The thing which confused me is that it appears we're supposed to like Schwartzman, whereas to me he comes across as a complete twat (boasting about all of his accomplishments, showing the couple his paintings of people's arseholes, etc, etc) whilst it's difficult to be sympathetic towards Scott either,
Spoiler alert
whether or not he's now okay with having a tiny penis.
[close]
It's clearly supposed to be an insightful take on marriage and relationships, but I thought it was a big pile of bollocks personally.