Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Ello Tosh got a new......

Started by VegaLA, October 20, 2004, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Toshiba to Launch HD DVD Notebooks in 2005

Toshiba Corp. announced today it will introduce laptop computers with HD DVD technology in December 2005, aiming to pressure rivals in the battle over formats for next-generation DVDs. Toshiba also plans to launch HD DVD players and recorders in the last quarter of 2005. The new laptops will be released under its "Qosmio" brand, and will play regular DVDs and CDs in addition to HD DVDs.

More news....here....

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7032/Toshiba-to-Launch-HD-DVD-Notebooks-in-2005

untitled_london

cool

its nice to see an alternative to the blu-ray Sony-owned "standard" making some head way.

i really hope MS (and the rest) backs it.

Jaffa The Cake

I thought HD DVD already had Microsoft support - isn't WMV9 one of the proposed compresion formats for it?

slim

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"I thought HD DVD already had Microsoft support - isn't WMV9 one of the proposed compresion formats for it?
Oh yuck. I really hope this isn't true. I think WMV is a horrible codec/container/format

Jaffa The Cake

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Mar/gee20040301024062.htm

It's not the only supported codec - but I still think it's a step in the wrong direction. My experience is that WMV is quite good at looking less rubbish than other codecs at low bitrates, but it's terrible at high bitrates (like you'd find on a DVD).

I know I'll become unpopular for saying this, but the RMVBv10 codec (part of Real Player) is probably the best out there, performs well across all bitrates and supports animorphism. Their audio codecs are up to date too. Just wish they'd stop harming their reputation with the player.

Xvid is good at high birtates, and it's free. Not as good as RMVB at lower bitrates mind.

untitled_london

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Mar/gee20040301024062.htm

It's not the only supported codec - but I still think it's a step in the wrong direction. My experience is that WMV is quite good at looking less rubbish than other codecs at low bitrates, but it's terrible at high bitrates (like you'd find on a DVD).

I know I'll become unpopular for saying this, but the RMVBv10 codec (part of Real Player) is probably the best out there, performs well across all bitrates and supports animorphism. Their audio codecs are up to date too. Just wish they'd stop harming their reputation with the player.

Xvid is good at high birtates, and it's free. Not as good as RMVB at lower bitrates mind.

i agrre up to a pint, but low bit rates are fast becoming a thing of the past.

Broadband is already avaialble cheaper than dial up, and so it really is "just a matter of time".

anyway, thats off topic, but, I think if the BBc can get its act together, we might be in for a tasty treat soon.

slim

Quote from: "Jaffa The Cake"Xvid is good at high birtates, and it's free. Not as good as RMVB at lower bitrates mind.
I love Xvid, me. Is it just my imagination, or did it used to be better at low bitrates? I think they may have noted the broadband revolution and shifted the emphasis of the codec in it's latter development stages. Or maybe it just turned out that way naturally, I dunno.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "untitled_london"i agrre up to a pint, but low bit rates are fast becoming a thing of the past.
I must have given the wrong impression - I'm completely against this whole "Let's make something that's not as rubbish as other codecs at low bitrates" idea. I'm much more into codecs that look / sound near-perfect at higher bitrates. It's why I prefer MPCs over MP3/WMA.