Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry Primal

Started by Beagle 2, January 22, 2016, 03:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Soooo, what do you reckon? I was skeptical about getting this, mostly because I only ever got about 30% into Far Cry 4. It was brilliant and beautiful, but it just felt too vast and unfocused to me. I never really knew what I should do next. But to be fair this does look great

wooders1978

In FC4 there was kind of a flashback to prehistoric times which I didn't particularly enjoy so unless this gets absolute rave reviews I am not sure I'll bother until it's 20 quid or so

Shay Chaise

FC4 was unfortunately a skinjob because I loved 3, it basically got me back into computer games. I did everything a couple of times til I was totally burned out. Within half an hour of FC4, I felt weary, it was graphically very tired and the prospect of traversing very similar environments (with a mountainous backdrop) to unlock the mechanical variety just felt tiresome. I've tried it several times since but without that thrill of exploration and traversal, the base game holds little interest. As silly and frat-fuelled as the previous game's plot and characterisation were, this civil war crap was just a total snooze.

This looks about the same but with more of the 'shoot an animal, remove the gameplay' elements and less weapon variety. Otherwise, it's a total reskin. They're cheeky cunts, basically, and yet one of my best mates bought a PS4 for this shit.

Thursday

Yeah, I felt a similar way about FC4, once you'd done all the fun new things like the gyrocopters and elephants, I just wasn't getting the same thrill from doing the things I'd do in 3, so I just blasted through the story where you're frequently asked which terrible person you want to side with in the most pointless mechanic ever. The last thing a Far Cry game ever needed. Secret ending is the true ending as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah the flashback segments in 4 weren't up to much so this just doesn't really grab me.

Noodle Lizard

This looks terrible, to be frank.  An owl that drops firebombs on folk, okay.  Bear that you just whistle for and it'll take down every enemy nearby.  Not having this.

Ubisoft really are the worst for quantity over quality.

Beagle 2

To be fair though, you could break almost any video game down like that and it would sound ridiculous. I think it looks like a bunch of fun, although this:

QuoteUbisoft really are the worst for quantity over quality.

I do agree with. I skipped Far Cry 3, so the fact 4 was a skinjob was lost on me. It was the first game I got stuck into on PS4, so this:

Quoteit was graphically very tired

I didn't feel at all.

Big Jack McBastard

I just got started on FC4 last night now I'm not so sure, it's way past time there was something Indian subcontinent-y out there as a gameworld (fuck me the radio though, Indian music makes deafness seem preferable) but it seems a bit of a re-hash of the last with more map but less substance.

The villain is a not even vaguely scary bad Gok Wan mashed with the Joker. The main thrust of the story is shit, you're off on holiday to scatter Mum's ashes where she used to hang out and get poorly kidnapped by this Prince-suited megalomaniac who used to pork her dead ass. He's apparently the guy who runs the place now but he's waging war on a group that yer mam and dad set up ages back and they're looking to usurp his purple booty and so you kind of sort of join them by default while on your way north.

Couldn't you just nick a gyro-copter fly to where the ashes want dropping and then fuck off? The beefs of the people in this country are next to no business of yours, the civil war thing, grappling and the wingsuit make it feel like Just Cause with all the mad kinetics pulled out.

I do like the FC games as a rule though and this looks quite canny and a bit more like it, kind of sick of endless gun-based warfare so I'll give it a whirl tonight and decide if I'm getting shot of 4 or not.

chand

FC4 isn't really about the story, it's all just a thin framework for you to piss around, tooling up your character and taking shit over. I absolutely loved it, for the exact same reasons as FC3, it's just fun to do all the outposts and hunting and side-missions. You did have to do some shite, mind; the Amita/Sabal choice was unfulfilling and made no real difference, and I could've lived without the entire stoner sideplot and all those drug-hallucination missions that came with it.

Entropy Balsmalch

Yeah. I loved it in the same way - it was just Far Cry 3 but with far better tests of stealth.

Blood Dargon was great fun too.

Will probably give this a go and get bored like I did with AC... It's always about the fourth itteration I get tired.

Big Jack McBastard

Oh aye it's WWF-worryingly fun enough, there's not many titles where you can turn a mounted gun on an elephant that has three of your arrows sticking out of it's face then get rammed off the road by a rhino while trying to aim.

Beagle 2

Although I agree it's not really about the story and it's great to just piss about taking outposts etc, the shit story is probably the reason I sacked it off. I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere, or wanted to find out what happened next. I just played through Uncharted last week for the first time, and that gets pretty tedious in the last third gameplay-wise, but the story was interesting enough that I wanted to see it through to resolution.

Caveman though. Caveman story. Dunno what that'll be. Ug.

Big Jack McBastard

You know what? I like cars/copters in these games, also that bomb dropping owl is daft bullshit2.

Bazooka

I picked this up for ¥6.99 on the PS store, been fucking loving it. Like all games in the series its repetitive as hell, but pressing square to collect flowers, taking outposts and taming all the beasts is bloody addictive. With little time I have to play games, its really joyous, I spents last Saturday(my only day off in a week) to play until my eyes didnt work, skip every cutscene, just love running around smashing heads and looting.